SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

Hmm, so then, was he referring to Yugol? Or Ch’thon? Did he always say that?

As for Morgoneth, I wonder if the whole Yugol thing is like the Nothing in Neverending Story - those who gaze too long into it find themselves drawn to it to be consumed, and I guess he originally just wanted to weaponize it against the priesthood, but then got driven mad and enslaved the other Magi via the rings to release Yugol on Cairn?

1 Like

Korvaak would win of course since Morgoneth was already defeated and contained by the temple wardens.

Can’t find the original post but I believe Zantai stated that Ch’thon and Yugol are two different entities.

Ch’thon himself wants to be resurrected and wants his blood that has been used to nurture life back. Yugol is like a black hole that sucks all of existence into a nothingness. Hence, Ch’thon is the anti-life while Yugol is the anti-existence. Their agendas are too different to be working together.

Regarding Riggs’, we’ll just have to wait for another update or the sequel to clear things up. Atm only Crate knows who or what he is.

3 Likes

Regarding Riggs, he is standing in the Dreeg camp. Once you completed the final quest for him he says:

Impressive work back there, friend.

I’ll be keeping an…eye on you!

This would make me think he’s with Dreeg.

When you talk to him in the beginning after you talked to the Emissary:

Decisions, decisions…

Seems the Emissary has left you with a bit of a choice to make, friend.

Which will it be?

Bysmiel and her web of spies, Dreeg with his fancy visions, or maybe Solael with the ritual sacrifice?

That last one sounds like a winner to me.

This would make me think he is with Bysmiel because it seems he is sarcastic about Dreeg and Solael. If he is with Solael than the last sentence would seem he is influencing you towards Solael.

We do know that Bysmiel has tons of spies everywhere and Riggs could be one of them. Than there’s the daughter of Van Aldritch, which is found by the cult of Dreeg. She could be a Aetherial or maybe a hybrid between a human and a Aetherial. But since Bysmiel was at/near Malmouth, she could have played a part in that and used that baby for something in the future.

I am coming to the conclusion that we are either getting another lore fat XP then GD2 sooner than we expect or Zantai just fancies to play mischievous mastermind torturing poor souls like us who crave for GD Lore exposure - no other explanation why Crate is holding back on sooooo many open ends. Certainly you can close some of them without impacting GD2.

Alternatively i challenge Zantai to release a GD Lore book within the next 6 months to satiate all that hunger.

Already done.

Doesn’t have the latest 1.1.5.0 patch stuff, but otherwise I think it’s up to date.

And you haven’t worked out that he loves torturing us poor souls about all sorts of things to do with the game? :rofl:

2 Likes

I was referencing a Lore book containing Cairns history etc, background of the Gods, War of the Gods etc - stuff which is just sneak peaked in the game but not it yet.

1 Like

We can’t even get Medierra to release the Crate story yet and been waiting for that since the Kickstarter in 2012. What makes you think Zantai would be able to do a new lore book in 6 months to spoil stuff for you before any GD2 comes out? :rofl:

Yeah i imagine Artur`s crew are chilling off somewhere in the Caribbeans on their yachts and swimming in their rightfully earned piles of cash :slight_smile:

But hey they can always get another pile of money if they do come up with the Lore book :slight_smile:

Don’t forget that from conversations with npc’s also gives tons of lore.

He just said they were “not affiliated” in a lore thread I had started awhile ago.

What I meant was: my impression is Ch’Thon has spent so much time outside of creation or at the edge of the void that he has been driven truly mad due to such close proximity to Yugol, similar to what happened with Morgoneth.

Based on what is known of Ch’Thon and Yugol so far, and the significant amount of similar imagery and overlapping themes between them, I have the impression that they’ve become so tethered to one another that the cult of Ch’Thon had might as well just be reaching out to Yugol directly. They just don’t know any better.

Actually Ch’Thon feels the suffering and death of all mortal things created with his blood.

Dying god constellation description

In an age preceding the creation of the mortal planes, an elder god was betrayed by his children; his body torn apart and drained of blood so that they could use its power to breathe life into their own creations. His remains were cast out of creation into a void but, incapable of death, the god lingered on in the darkness, doomed to an eternity of pain and madness; feeling the suffering and death of all mortal things that were given life from his blood. His name forgotten by time, the dying god is known only as Ch’thon; he who dwells below creation.

This seems really odd to me. I would really love to know more about some gods and the relationship between them, because there are way too many overlaps among them. Yugol and Chthon are the most obvious ones, given how much we get to know/fight them in such a similar manner, and we got confirmation that Three Gods are indeed VERY related to Korvaak, a sort of big revelation of a mistery from the original campaing, but there are way to many cases left unsolved that, at the very least SHOULD have some impact in the story/lore. Im referring to Vire/Menhir, and to some extent, Empyreon. Same with Ulthos and Mogdrogen.

At some point we should get some clarification on what’s really going on, because i feel the story is loosing direction. In the very first iteration we went from dealing with aetherials (wich we left unfinished) to persecute cultist, back to aetherials/cannibals, to eldritchs primordials, and now yugol. We have way to many open fronts, and the only REAL interaction ingame are among aetherials and cultist, wich we see getting at each other between Darkvale and Fort Icon. The rowhary do essentially nothing, Mogdrogen is scratching his belly in the couch, and the Three Gods took the backdoor exit after the Korvan crisis. For such a big conflict, were a seeing way too little confrontation, most of wich we are solving by our own. I understand that thats the point of the game, but for so much foreshadowing, i would like to see a real thing done by any of the big players, because the threads are starting to loose sense. Why worry about ANYTHING when we took care of both Loghorrean and Korvaak? And the Master of Flesh, wich, btw, felt kinda flat and weak compared to the other 2 (not difficultwise, but lorewise).

A bit off-topic but I think I encountered a bug -

Well some things should be preserved for a possible GD2. I do hope for a few things to have some more light shed on them.

i don’t mind things being revealed later on, but i do think that there are things added for no real reason, Yugol being the best example. For all intents and purposes, he and Chthon are one and the same. I know they are separate entities, but from a human/player’s perspective, they fill the exact same role. They don’t want to conquer or dominate, but to swallow everything/everyone. That means one of them has a higher hierarchy, and at that point we should just cut the middle man and go straight for the badder boss, wich still has nothing to do with the actual Grim Dawn.

This is from one of the developers:

Ch’thon/the chthonic void and Yugol are not aligned.

Ch’thon most definitely has goals, I can assure you of that. :wink:

3 Likes

i know. But still, both sentences read veeeeery similar to me. It’s like comparing Zeus/Heracles wtih Odin/Thor. They might be different gods, but their style, demeanor and overall powers sound very similar.

Given how much of GD is inspired in Titan Quest, i wouldn’t be surprised if Chthon is Uranus and/or Chrono and Yugol is Chaos/Tartarus, but Crate gave both extremely similar roles, making the distinction a bit too blurry for my taste.

I’ll have to rethink everything… again. I admit, Ch’thon barely makes sense to me at this point. My earliest, pre-AoM concept of Ch’thon was that of a very angry and vengeful old man, god dad in hospice. His devotion description and the cult made sense, but the void always seemed weird to me. It didn’t really seem like his “realm.” It seemed like it was foreshadowing to me, based on all of the real world, dilapidated and broken structures and monuments you see scattered around it.

Then, in AoM, I really started to question it based on… basically everything involving the cult in AoM. The only thing that made sense was Barrowholm’s reason for hating the cult.

I guess I’m just over-emphasizing the importance of the tentacles theme, the shared monster design, the shattered realm, et cetera. :crazy_face: