SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

Or a GD2 at some point down the line. :pray:

I’m not sure who Riggs is either but the quest-line did shed some light on the Cult of Ch’thon at least, namely that they’re bringing Yugol closer, albeit in a less direct manner than Morgoneth did.

It was kind of nice how it all came back around and gave more insight into Anasteria’s comments from way back at Fort Ikon, regarding humans and aetherials working alongside each other, and why Creed was so concerned about losing Ulgrim to “the void,” or why Barrowholm (Ravager) hates Ch’thonian entities so much.

Anyway, regarding Riggs, I’m inclined to think he really is what he says he is, someone who obtains items. In this case, I think he’s working for the Witch Gods and was tipped off to the Iris by one of Dreeg’s followers. It’s possible he overheard them speaking about it or was instructed to locate it by Dreeg himself, which would probably make the most sense.

Yugol is referenced multiple times both directly and indirectly while doing the quests for Dreeg, and it’s possible the Iris, despite being sealed away in the Tomb of Morgoneth, was the cause behind the Mind Reaper, Inarah’s madness, and much of the madness Dreeg’s followers experience in general.

While a lot of what is said about the Witch Gods is obviously hyperbole, it seems Dreeg has been aware of Yugol for quite some time at least, and while the Witch Gods may not be as powerful individually as their followers seem to believe, their power as a collective whole is undeniable. Dreeg sees stuff and is the navigator of the maze, while Bysmiel manipulates the doors and switches and when all else fails, Solael just breaks shit or forcibly removes whatever is in the way.

Riggs has knowledge of some obscure item and attempts to manipulate you into obtaining it, forcibly if it comes down to it. That’s just what makes the most sense to me.

So I assume everyone knows that Morgoneth is a LOTR reference, with the seven rings and one ring to rule them all - though while this refers to Sauron (and his status as Grand Magus as well), his appearance and name resemble Morgoth more, Sauron’s boss and elder god from Tolkien lore.
But, did you also notice the seven Magi have names that are similar to certain Egyptian gods?
Anubar=Anubis
Basti=Bast(et)
Khonshar=Khonshu (god of the moon)
Orissia=Osiris
Sethris=Seth
Tawrot=Tawaret

I am not sure who Shuroth is supposed to be a version of, though.

well no surprise here !
Did you notice Korvaan gods are actually named after Egyptian gods ? like:

Rahn = Ra
Horran = Horus
Atepth = Aapep ( Apophis )
Sethan = Set
Nepos = Nephthys
Osry = Osiris
Ariath = Arensnuphis ( Also known Nubian god Ariath )

İnteresting

So no wonder Korvan civilization based on old Egypt

Shuroth = Shu The primordial god of the air whose name means “Emptiness”. fitting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I noticed that too, especially Osyr and Horran were obvious as I played the expansion. :slight_smile:
Makes sense thematically, not just because they are a desert civilization, but because ancient Egypt also thought of their pharaohs as living gods, same as how Korvaak ruled Korvan. Funnily, he is the only one not named after an Egyptian god. Closest I can think of is Marvel comics having a supervillian named Korvak.

1 Like

I can see similarities that character also claims being a god…well his rival Old Hunger ( aka Galactus eater of the worlds ) humm… some inspiration here hehehe

… I am a god! And I was going to be your Savior! - Michael Korvac

I wonder if he also has “DUNNN!” sound effects in the comics when Thor punches him? :smiley:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Korvak is also a forgotten god character from comics :slight_smile:

Btw, can someone make it out what Korvaak is saying when he is defeated? I can understand Dreeg’s words but the music drowns out when Korvaak is speaking. Something about “you have no idea what’s coming”?

Yeah, it’s exactly that.

if Korvaak and Morgoneth fought each other who wins between the Eldritch Sun vs Eternal Night?

When the sun rises dawn breaks :slight_smile:

Hmm, so then, was he referring to Yugol? Or Ch’thon? Did he always say that?

As for Morgoneth, I wonder if the whole Yugol thing is like the Nothing in Neverending Story - those who gaze too long into it find themselves drawn to it to be consumed, and I guess he originally just wanted to weaponize it against the priesthood, but then got driven mad and enslaved the other Magi via the rings to release Yugol on Cairn?

1 Like

Korvaak would win of course since Morgoneth was already defeated and contained by the temple wardens.

Can’t find the original post but I believe Zantai stated that Ch’thon and Yugol are two different entities.

Ch’thon himself wants to be resurrected and wants his blood that has been used to nurture life back. Yugol is like a black hole that sucks all of existence into a nothingness. Hence, Ch’thon is the anti-life while Yugol is the anti-existence. Their agendas are too different to be working together.

Regarding Riggs’, we’ll just have to wait for another update or the sequel to clear things up. Atm only Crate knows who or what he is.

3 Likes

Regarding Riggs, he is standing in the Dreeg camp. Once you completed the final quest for him he says:

Impressive work back there, friend.

I’ll be keeping an…eye on you!

This would make me think he’s with Dreeg.

When you talk to him in the beginning after you talked to the Emissary:

Decisions, decisions…

Seems the Emissary has left you with a bit of a choice to make, friend.

Which will it be?

Bysmiel and her web of spies, Dreeg with his fancy visions, or maybe Solael with the ritual sacrifice?

That last one sounds like a winner to me.

This would make me think he is with Bysmiel because it seems he is sarcastic about Dreeg and Solael. If he is with Solael than the last sentence would seem he is influencing you towards Solael.

We do know that Bysmiel has tons of spies everywhere and Riggs could be one of them. Than there’s the daughter of Van Aldritch, which is found by the cult of Dreeg. She could be a Aetherial or maybe a hybrid between a human and a Aetherial. But since Bysmiel was at/near Malmouth, she could have played a part in that and used that baby for something in the future.

I am coming to the conclusion that we are either getting another lore fat XP then GD2 sooner than we expect or Zantai just fancies to play mischievous mastermind torturing poor souls like us who crave for GD Lore exposure - no other explanation why Crate is holding back on sooooo many open ends. Certainly you can close some of them without impacting GD2.

Alternatively i challenge Zantai to release a GD Lore book within the next 6 months to satiate all that hunger.

Already done.

Doesn’t have the latest 1.1.5.0 patch stuff, but otherwise I think it’s up to date.

And you haven’t worked out that he loves torturing us poor souls about all sorts of things to do with the game? :rofl:

2 Likes

I was referencing a Lore book containing Cairns history etc, background of the Gods, War of the Gods etc - stuff which is just sneak peaked in the game but not it yet.

1 Like

We can’t even get Medierra to release the Crate story yet and been waiting for that since the Kickstarter in 2012. What makes you think Zantai would be able to do a new lore book in 6 months to spoil stuff for you before any GD2 comes out? :rofl: