SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

Even in that scenario, i woulded love to see that storyline built around Chthon. He checks every description on that list, we have dealt with his followers before and woulded expanded his lore, he is a true engine of the story, given that both aetherials AND KORVAAK fear him, connecting all the dots from the OC and the dlcs.
Now we have a chthonic void, a “true void”, a monstruous god with tentacles, hurt by the spear of empyreon, who wants to kill everyone, and a monster with tentacles hurt by the light of empyreon, who wants to destroy everything.
And from both takes at “apocaliptic cult”, certainly the chthonic one is FAR BETTER fleshed out (no pun intended). They have much better/deep background, and actually participate in the story. Yugol should be just as dangerous as him (if not more), and yet nobody gives a rat’s ass about him once we finished Riggs quest. With all the “cosmic” npcs around (Ulgrim, Mogdrogen, the aetherials, and even Creed), one would expect SOMEONE would at least give us a phonecall and ask wtf did we found in the desert (wich may also include FREAKING KORVAAK, apparently the death of a god is just another thuesday).

Edit: funny thing is… there is no reason why Yugol would have a constellation. He literally hates them. Is like protesting about protests.

Lol i don’t get why it’s so hard to comprehend similarities between c’thon and yugol. Yugol is a force of nature, hunger itself that consumes everything kind of like a black whole or if you know kotor 2, the sith lord of hunger Nihilus that “ate worlds”. So if you think about it, it makes a bit of sense for c’thon to resemble yugol with tentacles and stuff, his in the void, since yugol influences it, remember all the gods that tried to garner power from the void went mad, so it’s normal at least for me that everything in the void gets corrupted and twisted. C’ thon has his motivation to get whole again ie take his blood back but in doing so i think he is unwitingly preping the “dinner table” cairn for yugol. I realy like this turn of events, and enjoy a story with many characters, motivations, backstabings etc. It’s almost like early game of thrones with so many factions triyng different stuff so for me at least it’s a lot more enjoyable than a fixed story with x enemy kill it and the day is saved bla bla.

If you talk to mogdrogen in ugdenbog, he interrogate you on why there was a great disturbance and begin a conversation about korvaak and the 3 false gods. But apart from that, you are right, the other npcs don’t seem to care about the death of a god. Well, there’s still the attendant throwing a party alone in the temple of the three since he can hear the 3 again and the messenger in kymon’s faction saying you will bring the end of the world because of your actions (pretty sure he refers to the lore note “sins of the forgotten - final entry” where someone wrote how the shattered realm was swallowed by yugol because the god Ralyoth vanished and was then totally forgotten by people after some centuries.).

True. In GD2 We’ll have ch’thon, possibly a return of the aetherial (maybe as friendly faction if the elders stop the circle?) and let’s not forget the one I’m the most suspicious of : Dreeg.

The guy have just too much powers (can mindrape a vast number of people + know all the paths leading to the differents futures) and it seems he have ambition too, quoting Dreeg in the korvan elegy -part 2 “My open eyes peer through the possibilities” “Many roads to follow, but only one shines clearly before me, but one leads to my ultimate victory” "No doubts remain in the infinity. My course is set. Now I must merely ensure that the other pieces fall in line. All other threads will be cut, until the one true path remains…the path of Dreeg. "

it’s the similarities that are the problem. A good practice in storytelling is to not have too much of the same, nor have redundant characters. All the things applied to Yugol coulded been attached to Chthon, nobody woulded complain, it woulded made sense, and it wouldn’t feel forced and out of nowhere. We know Korvaak fears Chthon, therefore is reasonable to think the cultist woulded been persecuted just like Morgoneth was. The enemies we face in the dungeon are VERY similar (as, “the same” similar), with the exact same tentacles we find in the Necropolis.

We already have plenty of different factions, and i like them all, i think they are all well written and represented. But Yugol is completely unrelated. It doesn’t affect the the rest of the story, his presence doesn’t seem to have any sort of impact on anyone, and more importantly, it makes me (and others, according to this thread) think about Chthon all the damn time.

I throw Korvaak in there because he is indeed ignored by the vast majority of the relevants npcs, but im well aware that Mogdrogen refers to the event. However, when we fight Morgoneth, If what we read in the notes and the constellation is true, everybody should be going FUCKING CRAZY. Remember, we open the seal of a portal directly to the “Embodiment of Nothingness”. Aetherials, cultist, the Wendigo Spirit, Mogdrogen, Ulgrim, The Three and their mothers should be getting at the gate and nuke the shit out of that place.
Remember what happend at the Necropolis? it was a free for all because the cultist were going to release A FRACTION of Chthon’s power. How (and why) is this different, when, by all evidence, it should get worse?

I’m not 100% sure but I think it’s the ritual of Morgoneth with the Iris of Eternal Night that allows yugol’s tentacles to reach the gardens of Ateph. So I guess by bringing the Iris to Riggs, the ritual can’t continue and morgoneth’s soul stop coming back. In brief, as long Riggs is a good guy and don’t do shit with the Iris, it should be safe. As for why everyone in the world don’t stop us from opening the seal…I guess they just are not aware of it.

Or maybe we shouldn’t overthink it, after all Mazaan keep opening portals like crazy even if they lead to a world already devoured by the nothingness.

I think the issue/confusion here may lie in thinking of Yugol as an antagonist whereas it is more of a constant of the universe.

It cannot be reasoned with, it cannot be killed, it cannot be undone. It is the essence of nothingness.

In contrast, Ch’thon is a primordial elder god, the progenitor betrayed by his children, torn asunder and cast into the abyss. Incapable of ever truly dying, he yearns for the return of what was taken. His return to the mortal plane would herald a reckoning never before seen.

8 Likes

This does bring a bit of peace to my anxiety xD. I do, however, expect that Yugol never becomes relevant to the plot. I like the Chthon mythos way to much to see his spotlight stolen by a random newcomer.

Where exactly is the new lore note on Calla? I read someone mentioning it was in the last part of Tomb of the Heretic but that is a bit vague.

I’d buy a short story collection from the dudes who write lore notes.

I can’t remember exactly where, i do know it was in a hidden room/area somewhere on the east side.

As Mauricius said, it’s in a hidden area

Between the merchant and the boss room, you can walk behind some rocks on the edge of the map

There’s also another hidden area in the first key-locked part of the tomb btw. Not sure if there are more…

1 Like

I actually found that area (with the Hidden Spoils?) but couldn’t get a Note to drop. :frowning:

You’re in the right place. The only thing left to do is to HULK SMASH everything. :wink:

1 Like

Anyone know if there is a lore about the gazer?
I always wondered where he was coming from. I mean, I know he is an aetherial corruption creature so I guess he was some kind of animal before being transformed under the influence of aether magic but what could it be? An ugly seagull maybe?

2 Likes

gazer…well seems they constructed by different part of body flesh of any kind of human or animal. Big eyes seems to watch over the aetherial process and human activities… but who is watching ? atherlords or just high ranking aetherial possessed human commanders ???..

1 Like

I think they are mere wifi cameras for aether commanders on the field. I don’t think they can “broadcast” to the aether, they look quite weak relative to the rest of the aether forces, and even the likes of Anasteria can’t communicate directly to the Aether Council.

3 Likes

@Zantai, hi Big Z! Can you please change the drop rate of Memories of Morgoneth to 100%? I only realized how rare this note is when I got it for the first time tonight. It also makes it consistent with the 100% drop rate of lore notes from boss NPCs. (ie. Korvaak, Karroz, Amalgamation, Allostria, Theodin, etc.)

+1 to this

I didn’t realize it existed till I read the wiki or maybe I got it from him and read it but didn’t read the title. Not sure

@Adam_Bomb
When I saw your post I was half asleep so i only read your first name and thought my manager was stalking me on the Grim Dawn forums

1 Like

Morgoneth’s lore note is deliberately a rare drop as it offers some unusual insights that go outside of the story told by the rest.

Think of it as Legendary loot for lore hunters. :smiley:

7 Likes

This topic is interesting, even with people writing wrong and confusing posts that are being corrected by other people all the time :smiley:

The lore is so much more interesting than in Diablo 3, and probably other Diablo games.

I wonder what is south of Prison, there is another ruined bridge there. tubemate authorityapk

1 Like

Nothing we’ll ever see. Was supposed to be a possible new area there long, LONG ago, but it’s unlikely the devs will do anything with it now since the game is pretty much finished and development winding down plus not a great idea to be heading south as far as camera angles go.