SPOILER ALERT: Lore Discussion

the 3 seems to be trying their best to stave off yugol’s arrival as long as possible. just take a look on how they scour the korvan lands for all leftover artifacts/powers from korvaak’s empire like thieving archeologist.

also, they have big interest on unraveling the secrets of the shattered realm, in which the ralyoth empire in shattered realm scorn their patron god from all memory and become totally helpless to yugol’s nomnomness. hopefully the 3’s continuous study of the shattered realm won’t make the taken be lost forever in there in gd2…

another thing worth mentioning; byscilla gains control of a gargoyle-like spawn of ateph when you complete her cult’s honor-tier quest. ateph was the god of moon as explained in the lores of korvan lands, which gain special place in the lores of morgoneth’s heresy. there’s a special branch of ateph cult that works like nightblade house, seeking and exterminating heretical cults that deviate from ateph’s teaching. morgoneth’s yugol cult is one such example. a fitting analogy between full moon and the dark side of the moon. byscilla’s interest in ateph’s spawn might meant that she’ll take the position of… goddess of the moon… and set herself in the frontline battle against yugol’s influence…

or maybe she just want to raise hordes of pseudo celestial gargoyle babies. who knows…

1 Like

Who could be that ???

byscilla/bysmiel can do that.
ulgrim have mysterious past too. and him being the first blade of the emperor is the clue that he also changes his identity a lot.

3 Likes

He can be… I wont be Surprised if it is so… XD

Never noticed that, as I am not looking for these kinds of hidden messages - oh, and also because you cannot actually spell money, you end up with mony… so a secret message to the song ‘Mony Mony’ ? :wink:

I guess that is the problem with these vague maybe (but probably not) messages

4 Likes

Y’all might find some interesting info in this post by Medierra in another thread today.

9 Likes

Thanks for posting love the backstory of it.

1 Like

I always thought Ch’thon grew mad after centuries in the void? Way after his blood was spilled.
Makes me wonder what kind of a nice-guy-good he might have been before.

the part where ch’thon grew mad due to being shattered and banished to the void by empyrion’s group is still true. perhaps he still had links to all his drop of bloods residing in all mortals of cairn which makes humans too chaotic to control by the celestials.

that also means ch’thon’s blood is also flowing in the 3 witch gods’s bodies, but who knows whether they shed ch’thon’s blood when they ascended, or they use it to their advantage. mogdrogen might be right when he considers the 3 to be capricious in their behaviour.

kinda makes me more curious about how ch’thon ruled the grimverse before the celestials betrayed him. though based on what medierra said about cronus titan myth its probably quite close to how zeus and his brothers overthrowing cronus’ reign of tyranny.

i think we grim dawners need more exposure to ‘kind’ celestials. also more lore about the female celestials. they seem to be overall kind in nature (aside from bysmiel and the berserker), just my assumption. mogdroggen might be considered among the ‘kind’ celestials, but he’s too indifferent and emo. the 3 are openly deceitful and arrogant. korvaak is wrathful and deceitful. are all the ‘kind’ celestials died already?

2 Likes

So I am a bit OoTL, when he says “we’re now taking to expanding on for lore / backstory in the RTS.” does he mean Farthest Frontier or some other unannounced project?

EDIT:
Never mind, found it - Crate's Grim Dawn Related RTS Project

My post history can shed some light.

Yes, he’s been quite chatty about the RTS project. We got more out of him about that than we have in all the years about FF. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The way they’ve been operating, it wouldn’t surprise me if they reveal the RTS early next year and release it by Christmas.

I say this because it looks to me that work has been progressing on all products in the background while GD expansions\major patches were in the limelight. Which is pretty impressive tbh.

1 Like

Well, the job adverts on their website say it’s in early development.

2 Likes

Hardly. Menhir still has his temple, even if his priest betrayed him and the place desecrated, still is in way too good conditions to be considered abandoned or forgotten. The temple is massive compared to any other building in the game (only some of the biggest Malmouth buildings can compare in size), and it isn’t super hidden or anything. The soldiers and oathkeepers revere him, and there are plenty of items infused by his magic, so… asuming Menhir is a celestial, he is almost certainly a good guy, and still kicking (altho probably not in activity). If Korvaak coulded return disguised, after a genocidal campain to erase him, a god so openly supported is surely feeding of his followers.

2 Likes

yugol isn’t coming, apparently. He is only whats left after all gods are gone. The shattered realms are the remains of erased and consumed dimensions where gods died or left. Aparently, Korvaak was fighting in one of those realms when he returned injured to be betrayed by the 3, and his absence caused some of the realms’s conditions. Zantai once said Yugol has no intentions or will, he just consumes, but is kept at bay by the light of the stars, wich, as we know, are the manifestation of divine power in the cosmos. In other words, as long as there are gods, there is no Yugol…But, if the gods start killing each other…
What reamins to be seen, is what started the war. I can only imagine one or more gods tried to return chthon, and that side started to use void powers.

2 Likes

Menhir seems to be more of a manifestation of cairn realm’s unyielding will to survive and protect its denizens rather than a celestial imo. maybe gd2 will reveal more about menhir’s nature. but its no doubt that menhir is one of the good celestial figures.

hmm, that could be true. i mean the shattered realm’s forgotten god left the realm because of the arrogance of the mortals there, and then yugol appears to consume it almost completely.
still, we don’t know what morgoneth’s beacon of the night really does if yugol is a thing that only appears when the celestials left their realms altogether. though yugol will definitely consume cairn if all the celestials and ascendants in cairn goes bonkers completely and destroy/banish each other. korvaak being banished definitely strengthen yugol’s presence, though the 3, mogdrogen and several other unknown celestials will most likely try to fill korvaak’s portion in the struggle against yugol. not to mention c’hthon will definitely have something to say about it.
i guess at least cairn won’t be in danger of being eaten by yugol completely due to absence of beliefs in celestials/ascendants.

1 Like

Given his devotion, he does seems to be a celestial, and a big one, like empyreon. Menhir is pure primordial and order, so my guess is, big guy in the pantheon

I think the cosmology started with yugol and chthon, chilling out in the nothingness. Chthon made up some gods because why not, and Empyreon created light, wich pushed away Yugol. Gods started to create in there, aetherials, and general stuff that, for some reason, needed Chthon blood to function.
At some point, one or more gods felt like shit was better before, so tried to call the big daddy, shit hit the fan, Mogdrogen, Ulzaad, Ulzuin are created, everything burns somewhere, but Cairn dodges the bullet (thanks Menhir), and gods go into hidding (or prision, in Korvaak’s case… and aetherials). In the process, the gods that tried to call Chthon back, teached the mortals the work around, and voila, cultist. Sorcerers found the aetherhold, and bam, Grim Dawn.

I suspect the beacon of the night creates a godless space, if i recall correctly, the notes stated that the priest of Korvaak couldn’t see beyond his veil, and some of them shoulded have a vision similar to Dreeg, fueled by Korvaak’s blessing, so being unable to see in there would mean some sort of barrier or banishment of gods’s influences. In the notes is described as window or portal into the nothingness, a wound in reality, so i guess Yugol would feel it like free real state and stretch his many legs over there (wich is what we see in the dungeon). I, however, despite what Zantai says, still fail to see the diference between yugol eating everything, and Chthon eating everyone. Morgoneth saying “we will be one with the nothingness” sound awfully similar to the cultist saying “we will be one with Chthon”. And yes, i know constellations are basicly are there for balance reasons and bit of exposure, but Yugol having a constellation is PARTICULARLY ironic.

2 Likes

Anyone else notice a few LoTR similarities in the names? Ungoliax TheGloomweaver = Ungoliant. Gollus the Deepdweller = Gollum. Angrim = Angrim. Just thought it was cool that some of the devs are Tolkien fans, or are at least familiar with his work.

1 Like

It’s obvious. Morgoneth… XD. Who’s Angrim in LOTR again?

1 Like

Morgoneth…ah yes. I knew that there was an obvious one I forgot. :joy: Angrim is basically some random guy in the Silmarillion/Children of Hurin. Not an important character but I remembered the name.

2 Likes