Wasn’t it our greedy Arcanists that dabbled too much with the Aether that led to a (first) opening for the Aetherials to pour into our world?
Wait, really? I was under the impression the impression that either someone or some lore note said the current Cairn situation was playing out in countless worlds as well.
Well this used to be the case when u talked to Anasteria, however that conversation was changed a long time ago.
Regarding Aetherials, some got corrupted due their host emotions.
If I recall correctly, Anasteria just comments that are many more worlds beyond Cairn. She doesn’t say that those worlds have been invaded too.
Sent from my Ultra Shine using Tapatalk
I agree that it looks to be years after the “Grim Dawn” proper. However, for me, the look of the environment versus the way the people seem to live and talk doesn’t, to me, really match up. I’m just having a hard time figuring out how long it’s been. Which is kind of important when writing a story. Everything influences the story.
If I’m writing for a character that is say 20 years old then they were basically just a kid 5-10 years before the dawn and that could change everything.
There is also the consideration of when the Taken was actually possessed and if they were a ‘local’ for the area around Devil’s Crossing.
Yes, based on the dialogue and lore notes, I was under the impression that the Grim Dawn had JUST happened, maybe a few weeks at most before the start of the game.
Might be on purpose why the devs never mention x years since GD - it is adding to the mystery and empowers the player to interpret in its own way.
Though indeed there is discrepancy between what characters say/express vs how the world feels.
The world feels & looks like the post apocalyptic future from Terminator where the machines have taken the world over and many years have passed since with small pockets of human resistance here and there.
Yeah, Anasteria does not mention that this is many of the worlds being invaded, just that the gods created many worlds. Likely even the Aetherials are not as mighty as to start an invasion to so many worlds at once, their numbers are finite after all.
I’d assume it has been like 1, maybe 2 years since the Grim Dawn. Things are definitely not new to most people you encounter, but there are still a lot of people who just crack under the pressure (like Skinner, or the guard in the Candle District with the kids)… Besides I cannot see that the Malmouth resistance held out for that long against such overwhelming numbers. Likely it’s at most a year.
As for who we are, well we are definitely not from around Devil’s Crossing or someone would have recognized us before we were hanged, no? 
Obviously the player character is Empyrion who rejected his godhood infavour of humanity and fell from the high heavens but has lost all his/her memory and must be reunited with his weapon before he can remember who he truly is.
Or I am thinking of some other game…
So looking at the new Korvan Basin map, it seems like yet another North facing sort of place.
Looking at the existing World Map, a possibility is the area north of Port Valbury, although it’s a bit strange that it would be there as there doesn’t seem to be any Aetherial contamination in the Korvan Basin, at least from looking at the map, there don’t seem to be any overly green areas.
We’ve been told that the Korvan Basin is accessed through a portal of some sort, so since the map doesn’t have to lie next to any of the other accessible points, another possibility could be the area west of Deadman’s Gulch. Lots of mountains nearby that seem to be also bordering the Korvan Basin, and the area seems to be close in comparison to the Korvan Basin.
Another possibility simply is the area south of Devil’s Crossing i.e. the map of Korvan Basin is actually upside down. I’m suggesting this based on the fact that there’s a river flowing in that area, and there’s a similar sort of river or at least water bodies in the Korvan Basin.
On the other hand, apparently from a recent stream, the Korvan Basin is actually located in the bottom right part of the map, which means they just added what they felt like, which they did for Ashes of Malmouth as well.
I read that as “dabbed” too much
Unless they changed something then I don’t think it will be south of Devil’s Crossing a.k.a via “Old Grove”. I recall there was some challenge with the camera perspective because of which that part of the map was left untouched.
As for how long since Grim Dawn has happened I’d say it shouldn’t have been more than a year. The resistance seems toothless without the Player Character, even Ulgrim can’t seem to do things as well as we do. I can’t imagine such a weak resistance could have lasted for more than a year.
You are thinking of Battle Frog
Yes…
A dumb question but is Cairn the nation or the planet? i.e., is the in-game overall map a world map stretched out flat or…?
Cairn is the world, see: http://www.grimdawn.com/guide/about/intro.php The world map is just a part of Cairn and part of the Erulan empire.
I doubt it’s that Ulgrim can’t do things, he ‘shouldn’t’ or doesn’t want to, since he’s pretty much a demigod and shouldn’t interfere ‘too much’.
Does the player character subtlely grow in stature over the course of the game, or am I just inventing something in my head?
So, anyone else read the note about Uluzuin yet?
What does it say?
Pfew cleared Ultimate looking at every nook and crany - final fight was as promised remarkable. Still i would have preffered to chat with the Witch Gods at least 
Just to see if i have pieced the whole story together:
Korvaak is the Primordial brother of Empyryon. After the war of the gods is over Korvaak is very weakened and withdraws in the Eldritch realm to regain strenght from his followers. Leaves Ulzuin who seems to be an ascendend (Korvaak`s chosen) to protect his temple which is the entrance to the Eldritch realm. Maybe around this time Dreeg peeks beyond and gets cursed by Korvaak who uses him as a guardian pet of his domain. However Bysmael posing as a priestess of Korvaak manages to seduce Ulzuin and sends him on folly errand very far from the capital giving her and Solael enouogh time to enter the Eldritch throne and imprison Korvaak in his weakened state with the help of Dreeg who has been scheming this all along. During the battle with Korvaak wounds inflicted to him reflect in the real world as a disastetrous events as his being is connected/has given life to the world of Korvan - resulting in the death of the empire but not due to his whims. Ulzuin goes mad seeing how he let down his master but no word where he is now. In short Korvaak is the righful ruler of the Eldritch realm and is deposed by the witch gods (i actually root for Korvaak as actually i dont see him as the bad guy). In the end the player defeats his latest manifestation and his essence is imprissoned once again. Player kills Dravis, and Uroboruuk sacrifices his essense and eternal life to help keep Korvaak at bay until the player is ready to face him.
It has a good flavour reminding me of Malazan book of the Fallen and how certain humans stole a whole realm and became gods.
I am just disappointed that the player doesnt have the choice to go against the witch gods - who are the villains here…
I envy you people with your separate pockets of time where regular time does not flow… Seriously, HOW??? I got the game update yesterday and I merely got to explore the Temple of Osyr before going to sleep. Just the conversations in the conclave took me an hour or more not to mention enjoying the scenery. 
