SSD and GD?

Does anyone run the game on an SSD and if so how does it run? I should be able to play the game at MAX setting but get lag or slowdowns when I do.

people often think this, but rarely is that the case. GD is for instance fairly CPU intensive, and will probably easily see your thread max out
an SSD has 0 impact on this, or gpu related performance/issue - an SSD will just load things faster than an HDD, and i don’t think GD has that much loading going on.
as far as actual performance difference, hdd/ssd related only, i honestly couldn’t tell a difference in GD on that part. CPU/GPU bump was instantly noticeable however

1 Like

So what can I do to fix this?

Move the game to an HDD or try this

what worked for me was
fiddling with ingame graphics settings (my gpu is not some quantum quark cyber calculating beast), to reach a plateau suitable for my hardware
the CPU trick, medea linked, i think i also did they placebo core/thread increase in options.txt too,
(there is overclock on my CPU too)
and then finally Vsync off
^tho since i don’t have a Gsync monitor i coudlnt’ stand the tearing so i put Vsync on, but having it off basically removed any last traces of slowdowns

if i were you i’d just go through all the usual GD troubleshoot performance steps/tips you can find in the sea of posts mentioning the same issues, and see what clicks for your setup
i don’t think reverting GD install back to a HDD is necessary, mine is running fine on my samsung ssd, and i can pint point the slowdowns to the points mentioned previously

My whole system is ssd based (1xm2 and 3 sata ssd’s)…no rust at all…absolutely no issues.(although I had no lag issues beforehand). The whole system is just “snappier” and imo the easiest general performance upgrade. I am not sure that moving to ssd will help your settings playability that much…I haven’t really noticed in-game playability that different…but thats only what I have noticed.

As someone who has run it on both, grim dawns load times are fast enough that a ssd makes no significant difference.

Thanks for all the advice. What worked for me was turn off deferred rendering and shadows. I always turn shadows off in games.

Oof, that’s a huge loss, the game looks bad / flat without shadows. Personally I’d rather have lower Resolution and other parameters than lose them. And they are very demanding so no wonder it worked.

Man, I swear I must be the only person that could care less about shadows in my games.

1 Like

weird, iirc they said using deferred render should be a boost to those with dx11 capable gpus?

Deferred Rendering utilizes additional graphics memory to reduce total draw calls per frame by around 30% or more. This should result in a decent performance increase, especially at high video settings. Complex scenes, such as Devil’s Crossing and parts of Fort Ikon, should see the largest gains.

:thinking: curious

Yes, deferred rendering has always been an improvement for me on the 6 different systems I’ve run GD on.

1 Like

No, my issue was with slowdowns and framerate drops during combat. The game looks fine.

my experience with it is going from 30-90 fps to 40-200

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.