Starting a new village is very time consuming by finding the right map

I play map that looks pretty because it does not matter what resources it have, you will always succeed!

5 Likes

Sorry folks, but I am working during the week, mostly play at the weekend :slight_smile:

For me, who plays the easier options, like everything on pioneer or befor I played pioneer + pacifist,
an unplayable map is something where I have no coal and others stuff, it will get harder for productions if resources are missing, especially making gold is also not easy all the time.

When I play the idyllic map, which is announced as very ballanced with everything, good for beginners, I expect such a map without needing to explore the whole map to check if that is true

• no it is not true as a wrote in my first post.

I am a normal player, I am not a “hard gamer who needs challenges all the time”, I want settling just for fun.
I assume there are a lot of potential new players out there who want the same.

So without knowing, that all maps are random and can totally differ in amount of resources and yes, not good positioned hills to build a big village

• for a BEGINNER, this could be very frustrating and can also lead to stop playing.

I will have a look into the seeds list.

But I would love, like Asheira noted, something like an info panel with all resources and amount listed, when the map starts, at least, then I don’t need to search the whole map.
It would save a lot of time :slight_smile:

AND everyone can decide to play the maps they want, easy or harder, but a little help is much appreciated.

4 Likes

I also spent some time looking for a map that had everything.
On Japanese strategy sites, we also share map seeds and play with them.
I was lucky enough to get a flatland map with all the resources, lots of plains and swamps. But no megarocks are generated.
It would be nice if there was a thread to share map seeds in Steam.

My mapseed
89CC7F66560

So go create such a thread. Anyone can!

People who need it should do it.

Right now I like random maps.

As posted above it is here Special map seeds for players - #2 by FrontierBuilder

But I must say this is tidious too.

REQUEST: Please give us a notification window when starting a map with a list of all resources and plants including amount of each, so we can see it easily without searching the whole map.
OR befor starting the map there is the Seed Number, a hover info pop-up with everything would be much more helpful :slight_smile:

I don’t see a guarantee for all resources.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the “right” map, with a perfectly balanced ammount of resources is enough to succed as each one can have their own challenges. Even in in Idyllic Valley, with tons of the resources I want, all the disasters have been my own fault, not the map
Starting a new map not knowing what’s going to happen is part of the appeal, at least for me
I guess the only way to have the right map is having it “designed” by the players exactly how they want it but, even if that was possible, one of the features of FF is the challenge so, if enough people want it, maybe a new map type in the future? Maybe?

Agreed, I have had maps where I have thousands of ingots worth of gold production but I still fail because I didn’t use that gold wisely. And on my current map, I have more people more sustainably than I have ever had before, with only one gold mine that I am relying minimally on. I have found so far that regardless of the resources on the map, FOOD is what matters most. I implemented @Celebrindan 's farm/pasture cycle and grew my population slowly but steadily. I concentrated on tax income from markets and upgrading houses, which I had rarely done before. My goal was to have a positive income WITHOUT mining. I achieved it! Now the resource mining is only to make my life easier.
I have a literal iron mountain next to my town so a long-term goal of mine is to switch over to mostly iron product exports once I have stabilized my luxury goods production and doubled my population.
It wasn’t easy, and it took several maps for me to get enough know-how to pull it off, but I have found that gold is not necessary to succeed on a map. It’s only convenient, since it lets you move faster.

4 Likes

No you didn’t lol.

Well, “lush and fertile” & “abundant” & “ideal” for pioneers who just starting, implements a balanced map with all ressources, and plenty of htem, so a beginner has everything to start and get used to the game.
At least - I understand it that way.

A map without coal is not good, because it is always hard to have enough wood for everything, I don’t wanna use the charcoal kiln, because I need my wood for other parts. I need to produce iron for tool production… in the beginning the amount of gold is not so high to always buy the stuff from tradors (if they sell any).

still I would like to have a a notification window when starting a map with a list of all resources and plants including amount of each, so we can see it easily without searching the whole map.
OR befor starting the map there is the Seed Number, a hover info pop-up with everything would be much more helpful.

I mean, if you don’t mind you would not have to look at this information, but all the others who spend a long time with searching a map, I am sure, they would love this too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

None of this says you’ll be guaranteed every type of resource. The game is about managing resources and demands, and ultimately the balance of what the land provides in the Farthest Frontier.

Idk if this will necessarily help you. You’d still have to search the map unless it’s right next to you, and this won’t show you where it is.

This does, though. =)

Great - thanks for that, but How should this be installed? I have no clue where to place this, please.
EDIT: Ok, it is a stand-alone application, which loads a Save File.
Honestly, no this is not what I expected:
There is no name at the ressources, what is what? The same for “Forageables” - what does that mean?
And you would have to save all maps. :weary:

And well I would find it better if features like this could be distributed by the game itself, I know that there will be mods and cheats (also already now available - but I wanted to wait until the game is official and not early access) which will give us let’s say - more freedom :slight_smile:

It’s a different function than what you’ve asked. Even if you get told how much is on the map, you still have to go and find it. It could potentially be on the other side of the map from where you start. :man_shrugging:

Yeah, I edited my post above. It is not what I was asking.
the colors are not explained
yellow is sand
red is clay
I guess Dark-grey is coal and light-grey is iron
but what is green?
And what is stone?
And the forestables I don’t understand at all, very too small.

@Mitr Please, could you make some improvements for your nice tool ff-game-map, like

• list all recources at the right panel too if possible (like iron: 10x, coal:2x, sand:2x etc)
  • name the colors or give an info what the colors stand for (maybe black for coal to better locate it)
  • a zoom in to get it clearer

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Added names as suboptions with icons and stats.
https://github.com/mikh-abc/ff-game-map/releases/download/1.1.0/ff-game-map.zip

2 Likes

Turbo, that is so awesome, great - thank you very very much :100:
And a nice workaround, no zoom needed, because you can toggle everything on/off.
I love the stat. It is exactly what I meant.
Concerning the foragables I have still a question:

• why are no blueberries or hawthorn (or whatever exists besides) listed? I have plenty in my world
  • can you add a stat here, too? at least the number of how many would be great. Roots are often rare, so you only need to have a look at the right panel and the numbers, and you can very fast decide if you wanna play this world.

I think of saving lots of start-maps, check them, delete the ones I don’t want and have a great list of seeds and everything. This is a must have tool, honestly.
Also to check the map you are already playing. AND be able to maybe see enemies arriving soon, even if they are still far away :+1: :vulcan_salute: :star_struck:

I always save 4x or 5x a year like save names I always overwrite new year, spring, summer, autumn and winter. So it is easy to return to a previous one without loosing too much.

1 Like

I love this tool as well. I have a node of gold which i built by village near, but I’ve been scouting for another one so I can get some extra dough. I thought the nearest was quite a ways away, but this tool told me there was some gold hiding closeby in an unexplored patch. Voila! Perfection

For those who are curious, this is what the tool looks like:

If anyone wants to play this map, it’s a Random map and I can’t remember if I picked Medium or Large but I usually do large…

When toggling on the buildings you get a good orientation where all the ressurces are.

It only shows the houses though, which is okay but I would love for it to show all buildings so I can see where in relation to my foraging outposts resources are. For instance, in my tool, you can see my residential section but not all the forges and foundries built up around the iron and gold clump just next to my residentials.