Story feedback.

Oh yeah, that scene. Funny how you think that scene is being forced on people and not the one I mentioned, eh?

Well, lol, considering it was nearly the very first thing that they showed the agenda they wanted to push from the outset was obvious. I literally rolled my eyes the moment they started the scene and being a guy I happen to have nothing against a couple women going for a tumble.

The Cage sex scenes were funny if anything and quite a bit overdone in the way they displayed it. Interracial sex/relationships are nothing new these days, on TV and in life. Not exactly groundbreaking.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yes, pushing the Lesbian scene on you! LOL! How many times did that happen throughout the whole series? The number of Cage scenes?

Your thoughts are exactly what I was pointing out “Interracial sex/relationships are nothing new these days, on TV and in life. Not exactly groundbreaking.” but the gay scene is, for now, but it too will pass.

So why is that one, ONE, scene so problematic? And it pushes an entire agenda - one scene from one episode of how many? and that’s pushing! LOL!

Drama much my friend? :smiley:

I dunno… I just had a feeling leading up to the series release that they were going to push the whole LGBT thing and whaddya know, they didn’t waste anytime doing it. You’re right, after that they went all low key on the topic it just happens to stand out to me how they did it.

The Jones/Cage scenes were just ridiculous examples of them saying, hmm, what happens when two nearly invincible people have sex? How can we make this as hilarious as possible?

If only the acting and writing of the rest of the series would have had as much effort put into it.

As for sexuality in Grim Dawn, as mentioned everyone seems to be on a “we don’t really care about your personal life”-kind of mode.

This, combined with seeming lack of gender behavior shoe-horning (Uroboruuk, leader of the necromancers, comes across as passive, calculating and viciously cruel when you get on his bad side versus the gruff Captain Somer, who seems to have a one-track mind and who lets casual slights/insults slide) implies that the common folk over at Cairn don’t really care how you do your business as long as it doesn’t affect them. Perhaps this makes sense considering how we’re talking about people in a world where various extra-dimensional beings and monstrous creatures exist.
“Oh, so the two of you do it just facing one way? Cool. Let me tell you about this one time I saw a dranghoul trying to get it on with a slith…”

Truly the best character.

Didnt know that you had a leaning for sequestred female.

I was referring to the name.

database/records/creatures/npcs/flavornpcs/gdaread/npc_aldritchcaptive_01.dbr Female NULL

GD AREA D

The chick wants to go to a Aetherial filled city to save her daughter. That’s pretty badass. hoping we go there too in the expansion

I wrote a little more than I needed to.

[spoiler]
Getting back on-topic of Grim Dawn itself, I can agree on a few points brought up. Despite the fairly large gamut of historic technology covered in the Grim Dawn world, I think it’s safe to claim that Grim Dawn’s world and geography is generally based on the 1700’s-early 1900’s American Midwest (it could argued that Grim Dawn’s time period stretches as far back as 1100 A.D. if we consider the late-medieval platemail and chainmail armor, but that’s not relevant to the point I’m trying to make). In fact, I’d argue it’s a bit odd that there’s very little racial diversity in the cast, considering the demographics of the time periods and cultures that are referenced by the game’s environments. The technology comes from around the same time as the American Civil War - even later in some cases. If someone wishes to claim that Cairn is “closer to the medieval age” then by all means: please take the time to explain how Cairn’s medieval age justifies the existence of magazine-fed automatic rifles, cowboy gangs, infantry mortars, landmines and carriage-tanks, then I’ll concede that point.

That being said, if such efforts to increase ‘diversity’ were made, I think it’s important that it’s not simply hamfisted in the hopes it’ll appease particular players. I get the impression that a great many gamers feel somewhat tired with the discussion of diversity, not because of any particularly ingrained bigotry, but as attempts to make ‘diverse’ representations are often handled incredibly poorly.

My thoughts go to the controversy that Baldur’s Gate garnered over introducing a transgender “character” in one of their DLCs. I put “character” in quotation marks here because, while some of the criticism directed towards this was of course unashamedly puerile and bigoted, this “character” had all the narrative depth and personality of a cardboard cutout that someone had scrawled ‘transgender’ on with a cheap marker - what’s worse is that some people still somehow considered this frankly lazy and tactless appeal to be a thoughtful gesture, and tried to defend it.

To balance the Baldur’s Gate example, I’d say Fallout: New Vegas was an example of diversity done exceedingly well in a videogame. Characters with various romantic preferences were present, but their inclinations weren’t stamped to their foreheads or dangled around their necks like street placards, nor was there any fanfare, drumroll or fireworks display when the topic of their romantic preferences came up. They were nuanced characters with actual human interests and motives outside of what sorts of people they were interested in, or how they saw themselves. I realize “what’s good for the goose isn’t good for the gander”, but this is all to say that it’s not some delusion of grandeur to raise the possibility.

Returning to the point I was making earlier, I think a lot of the tension surrounding this topic stems from the harmful rhetoric that “Depicting diversity in a poor, clumsy manner is better than no depiction at all.” From my own observations, this statement is incorrect. As far as the patterns I’ve seen, Social Advocacy movements are enlisted time and time by talentless, uninspired creators to shield their poorly-made work from legitimate criticism. Often the advocates of these Social Advocacy movements don’t realize that they’re being set up as a strawman defence by a second-rate creator who - as evidenced by the uninspired quality of their work - does not really care about representation more than hiding from the critics. This is doubly harmful: firstly, it degrades the quality and integrity of the creative medium the work exists in, and it creates resentment against the Advocacy Group who was duped into defending an otherwise substandard piece of work.

I am certain it’s possible to make a great, relatable piece of literature that also has a diverse cast - it’s just that most of the time this is attempted, it’s a frantic attempt to salvage a train-wreck of a creative product that had been doomed to fail from the start.

I’m getting away from myself here. Overall, I think it’d be great if more media acknowledged that human social structures and interactions are a little more nuanced and complex than the generic 1960’s Nuclear Family structure. However, I hate to admit that as good as Grim Dawn’s writing team are about some things, I’m not confident that the team’s writers would be to capture those nuances or complexities with the finesse required to avoid the pointless amounts of controversy it garners - nor do I fault them or any other creator for wanting to avoid that.

I realize I’m coming across as a bit negative here, so let me ramble on for a bit about what I think Grim Dawn does right compared to other ARPGS:

I love that there are no cleavage windows in Grim Dawn, and I love that there are no gratuitously sexualized enemies/characters in the game. Don’t get me wrong, I consider myself just as red-blooded as the next guy, but no videogame should expect its story to be taken seriously when all the clothing in their fictional universe transforms into steel-plated underwear depending on whether the wearer has a y-chromosome or not. Similarly, I really haven’t heard a good argument in favour of why, in a vast majority of videogames ( especially roleplaying games), the villain is under contract to have at least 1 battalion of skinsuit-clad ninjas or swimsuit-wearing catbabes in their army of darkness: anyone who played Titan Quest knows exactly what I’m talking about here, and don’t pretend like you don’t.

What I’m trying to say is that the game already does an excellent job of playing to the strengths of its genre while avoiding some of the more distasteful tropes usually present in it. There’s always room to improve, of course, but they’ve done a pretty good job already, considering the big picture here.[/spoiler]

If you meant TQ’s maenads, then I’d like to point out that satyrs are basically walking around naked.

TQ armors actually got it right IMO in that anything females put on that made them seem scantily-clad also made their male counterparts look scantily-clad.
It was statement for equity!

TQ was definitely advertising to one audience over the other, though…

tfw can’t wield staff/sword

but that butt though :wink:

This is Grim Dawn, an ARPG about killing monsters, getting loot and leveling up your characters. Your concerns should be on extra content, balance and build diversity, the only actual diversity that matters on this game.

You’re playing Grim Dawn, and not SJW Simulator: Tumblr Edition.

The bikini’s definitely a bit much, but there seems to be universal minimalist theme.

boxer briefs ftw

Now that’s out of the way, you have piqued my curiosity. Are you saying that lore and world-building is not a form of extra content? Are you claiming that we’re not supposed to be concerned with the story at all?

I’m asking these questions because I want to understand your point of view more clearly, and I assume if you feel so strongly about this, you’d want others to understand you more clearly as well.

Oh man. Such Gol. More D. What’s that spell? GolD!

Good laugh tho.

Lore and the story around the game is important. What I’m saying is that trivial details as of “why there isn’t any/there is a lack of black characters or strong women?” are irrelevant, and shouldn’t ever be the main focus of the game… Like seriously, caring about trivial stuff like that, on a game that is centered on purely action combat and loot hunt, is just silly… it’s literally grasping at straws.

Going a bit off-topic, has anyone noticed that the majority of people that are always complaining about the lack of diversity and racial representation on games are white? Like, it’s pretty funny, really… people that belongs to a specific social group (black people, gays, trans, etc.) hardly even care about being represented or not in a game, movie or cartoon… but it always, or at least in most cases, a white person that is complaining about the lack of diversity, that the people that belongs to those social groups should be represented, etc…

I’m just gonna stop here, as this board is not the proper place for this kind of conversation.

The best part? Without these exact people belittling the rest of America incessantly Trump would have never made it in. Good job soccer moms of America :wink:

But yeshhh… Ignore that peoples. Totally different topic.

Grim Dawn!