[Suggestions] Small things that still bother me immensly and would be fixed (rather) easily

I agree about bounties, I’m “MEH” about maps and caves because after +1k hours I memorized every zone with the special locations, and I disagree about the next ones:

Once you do what you were told the questlog tells who you need to speak to claim the reward. Also, you must have fish memory to not remember where’s the guy who gave you the quest. It’s not like GD towns are huge maze with thousands or NPCs. Just pay a little attention and you’ll easily remember who was the NPC.

Because decisions matter. Name me one Diablo-like games that let you change your class in the middle of the game (barring classless or class-fluid games like Dungeon Siege). Like, “hey, this sorceress is cool and all but now I want her to be an Amazon”. That doesn’t make sense. You chose a class? You commit to it. Didn’t like it? Start another character. Don’t like these rules? Use GDStash or Defiler. You can still undone the class chosen if you haven’t spent any skillpoint on it, though.

That would be really cool, but sadly I don’t think it’s possible at this point of development. It would require a ton of writing and a lot of work on the UI.

Have you been playing Hollow Knight? Some of these suggestion like the map markers and the beastiary sound familiar, lol.

Maybe it’s my graphics settings but rocks and tree stumps stop blinking a few seconds after looting them, and as far as I’ve seen it they don’t start blinking again even if I re-visit much later. Maybe what you are seeing is the loot that you didn’t pick up, like white or yellow items?

Afaik, this is because of the dialogue system that GD uses. Bounty tables are kinda like NPCs in that regard. There’s a technical reason why you can’t cycle through the bounties, and Crate would have to revamp the dialogue system to make the bounty tables work like you proposed. Unfortunately that’s not gonna happen so late in development.

That’s probably related to the auto-combination of partial components. Once they auto-combine, they leave spaces that only small items like rings can fit in. Just click auto-sort once in a while and it’s no longer an issue.

Probably an engine limitation. I think the range at which markers show up is fine though.

Working as intended. These “hidden” cave entrances change location every session restart. Giving the location away everytime would contradict the purpose.

That’s an issue I struggle with everyday :sweat_smile:
But it’s not something that’s easily fixed. I think the engine is just too old for stuff like that.

About your other points, I agree with everything @toapeiron said.

Maybe it’s my graphics settings but rocks and tree stumps stop blinking a few seconds after looting them, and as far as I’ve seen it they don’t start blinking again even if I re-visit much later. Maybe what you are seeing is the loot that you didn’t pick up, like white or yellow items?

It’s not the loot, no, it is the actual stash. I think they stop blinking a bit after I loot them for me too, but they never stop completely. I’ll check graphic settings but I doubt that’s the issue.

Afaik, this is because of the dialogue system that GD uses. Bounty tables are kinda like NPCs in that regard. There’s a technical reason why you can’t cycle through the bounties, and Crate would have to revamp the dialogue system to make the bounty tables work like you proposed. Unfortunately that’s not gonna happen so late in development.

I kinda feared that being the case. Still, maybe even with the limitations there is a better way. I’ll have to try around with it first.

That’s probably related to the auto-combination of partial components. Once they auto-combine, they leave spaces that only small items like rings can fit in. Just click auto-sort once in a while and it’s no longer an issue.

Hmm, I realized yesterday that it also persists in the same bag. I had as example 4 free slots but the auto-sort button would never arrange them in a way that it gave me a rectangle, but I could manually rearrange them to still pick up some greaves then.

Working as intended. These “hidden” cave entrances change location every session restart. Giving the location away everytime would contradict the purpose.

Oh, Session as in everytime you start up the game? That’s…whack. But they don’t do so once you’ve found them I think? Which is what I would like to see them. Wouldn’t want to have them shown from the beginning anyways.

I agree about bounties, I’m “MEH” about maps and caves because after +1k hours I memorized every zone with the special locations

I mean, having +1k hours isn’t really a good argument against good player-help :stuck_out_tongue:

Once you do what you were told the questlog tells who you need to speak to claim the reward. Also, you must have fish memory to not remember where’s the guy who gave you the quest. It’s not like GD towns are huge maze with thousands or NPCs. Just pay a little attention and you’ll easily remember who was the NPC.

Ye, it is arguably a non-issue or a pretty small one. I think I only had it once or twice and it wasn’t about someone in a town but about a quest-giver somewhere in the wild I think. But you are correct, it isn’t really needed.

Because decisions matter. Name me one Diablo-like games that let you change your class in the middle of the game (barring classless or class-fluid games like Dungeon Siege). Like, “hey, this sorceress is cool and all but now I want her to be an Amazon”. That doesn’t make sense. You chose a class? You commit to it. Didn’t like it? Start another character. Don’t like these rules? Use GDStash or Defiler. You can still undone the class chosen if you haven’t spent any skillpoint on it, though.

I understand the decisions matter thing, but you can reset every single point of your skill-tree and even all your devotion points, and these all matter extremely in how you play your character. The class-change would just be the next consistent step in choice. I understand that it wouldn’t be good for late-game players being able to change classes freely on the fly, but as said my issue stemmed from the early game, and it feels weird being able to redo all the skill-points but not the second-class. Maybe it could be limited to the first act or you just are given one free class-reset potion when you unlock the second-class to make it balanced?

Have you been playing Hollow Knight? Some of these suggestion like the map markers and the beastiary sound familiar, lol.

No, I have had it on my radar since forever and still plan to play it one day! But bestiaries and map-markers are just two things that for me can fit in nearly any game that has such a vast amount of enemies and large maps, I’m always sad when they aren’t in (more for the bestiary than the map-markers though).

Regarding your complaints with the bounty system, it’s been brought up before and Zantai has commented on it saying it was something that was thrown together during the early stages of the game using the conversation system with it’s limitations and that he’d like to do a complete revamp in the future but whether that happens is to be seen.

Some caves have fixed positions, those have the eye icon you see on the map. Others like the one you found will have multiple spawn spots so don’t get an icon and have to be found manually.

I doubt adding icons for randomly generated spots like this is something they can do as I have similarly asked for something similar in the past but haven’t seen it implemented (or it’s just not high on their priority list which would make more sense).

Pathfinding is literally hell for game developers. If you’ve ever tried implementing it, studied it or done anything similar, you’ll know this.

Not happening.

Pathfinding is literally hell for game developers. If you’ve ever tried implementing it, studied it or done anything similar, you’ll know this.

Oh. I know, which is why I fully didn’t expect it to get any better from the moment I started the game the first time. Just wanted to add everything that bothers me, disregarding the feasibility of changing it.

I doubt adding icons for randomly generated spots like this is something they can do as I have similarly asked for something similar in the past but haven’t seen it implemented (or it’s just not high on their priority list which would make more sense).

That’s sad, but understandable. If so, then at least a map-marker system should be added, so you can do it yourself.

Regarding your complaints with the bounty system, it’s been brought up before and Zantai has commented on it saying it was something that was thrown together during the early stages of the game using the conversation system with it’s limitations and that he’d like to do a complete revamp in the future but whether that happens is to be seen.

Ok, so I checked it myself now:
It’s a pretty simple system, choosing to look at the table creates a random value between 1 and the number of available quests.

Once you do this, a lua-script function is called which increases a variable by 1. Once this variable reaches 5 instead of creating a new random value you are told that you can no longer take up a bounty.

The important question here is, if you can either save values inside the conversation tables OR if you can give them over and read them from the LUA file. Now you only get TRUE or FALSE from the functions returned, so maybe that’s a limitation. If it isn’t you could code this easily inside the lua script. Once you create a random variable you give it over to the lua file and safe it in an array together so you can read it back later when you’ve gone through all 5 bounties.
If it is, then you’d have to safe it inside the conversation script. If you can’t save values there you could maybe give the player instead a token for each random quest he generated as a hacky way around it.

Regardless, it shouldn’t be hard to change this if you have access to the full code.

Regarding cancelling a quest, that seems to be a lot more work to change, possibly. As you spawn monsters when you create the quest, you’d also have to despawn them again if you cancel it, and in the lua script there are only functions for spawning but not despawning. So you’d have to add a deconstructor for each of those and then call it when cancelling the quest. And there might be more problems with how they handle their quests, so I probably can expect cancelling quests to not be added at all.

I mean, they could do that, or like Zantai alluded to - they’d scrap most or all of it and create an entirely new system for handling bounties with more finesse to it.

You also have to consider how much development time this would take away from other areas, where spending development time best would increase revenue for Crate in terms of game content updates which leads into the next point of what people would like to see, and not just a couple hundred or thousand, things that the majority of the player base have been asking for over the years.

HEyaaa I’m back with a new batch of small things that annoy me immensly and no one cares about!

• Minimap is too tiny: I’ve seen a thread about a request to add zoom buttons to the minimap and I absolutely confirm that this annoys me greatly. Often I just open the big map and leave it open so I know where to go. The big map could maybe be made transparent even. Anyways I will post it in that thread too.

• Boss and Hero Adds are in my opinion too bulky and/or respawn too quickly. Common scenario, you fight a humanoid boss and he summons a hig chunky helper. That’s cool and all, but that thing tanks at least as much as the boss himself if not even more. That would also be cool, kinda, but the problem is even if you kill that Add, the guy just summons a new one like 2seconds after. They even resummon them after some time so what’s the point of ever attacking the Adds? Feels kinda boring.

• AHHHH I love the search feature for the shops but why can’t you search also in your own inventory?!?! I have all my materials always with me and it is a PAIN IN THE ASS searching one specific one. It would be SO useful if the search feature is added to the player inventory. (Or can’t they do that because the smith uses all already predefined items?)

• Sooo, Ch’tonic rifts… I don’t like how when you find one that exits the void, it doesn’t stay. Case in-point: I was just SPOILER saving ulgrim from the void and right before you meet him there is a Ch’tonic rift getting you out of the void. It leaves you right next to the entry at the Altar of Rakkosh, and I thought “Oh, cool, now I have a mid-entry point and don’t have to walk through it till Ulgrim again.” So I talked to the Ulgi-boy and as it was late I left the void and exited the game. Start it again tomorrow and IT’S GONE. Why? Wonky coding or just oversight? I also had to talk to ulgrim again (I smashed him out of it before but I didn’t want to go through that again). I also think I had this exact same scenario in some other voids too. I think it’s cool that you can’t use portals when you are in the void and all, but those portals just disappearing annoys me.

• Number of Ointments and Potions doesn’t show in the quickbar select, you have to hover over each of them to see how much you have. Annoy!

• Why can you even select those crystals? I sometimes hover over them by accident and then I think I found a stash or something just to be taunted by that stupid thingy.

• Monster-healthbars are super-useful. I also have normally no performance issues with them, except just yesterday when there were like 50 monsters on screen at once suddenly and it dipped a lot. I would love have a KEYBOARD-SHORTCUT to turn them on/off in an instant!

Anyways /annoy off, bye till next time!

Re: boss adds. If you think they’re tanky then they’re working as intended as a dps check that your build is failing to meet. Grim Dawn is about having the right numbers, if you’re doing it wrong it may very well feel wrong.

@Xervous My build is about out-tanking enemies with constant bleeding dots attached. I have no problem if they are tanky, I can endure. It just annoys me that they respawn anyways. Pretty whack check.

Heroes don’t respawn until session restart, summons don’t respawn if you kill the summoner. I’m not sure what the problem is :man_shrugging:

There’s a button to insta-stash all components, just put them into a dedicated stash tab and that issue is gone.

That riftgate is initially hidden and only appears after beating Ekket’zul. If you restart the session, Ekket’zul will respawn and has to be defeated again for the riftgate to reappear.

Because you can usually destroy them for loot. That particular situation was a bit unfortunate though since the crystal spawned out of melee reach and you didn’t have any ranged attacks. Does that crystal always spawn in the exact same place? Might be hard to get the loot without GrimInternals extended pickup range.

Try the setting that only shows HP bars when monsters are already injured. Might save a few frames in bigger battles.

There’s a button to insta-stash all components, just put them into a dedicated stash tab and that issue is gone.

That’s a good idea, will probably start doing that.

Does that crystal always spawn in the exact same place?

I’ll check today, but I think so.

Try the setting that only shows HP bars when monsters are already injured. Might save a few frames in bigger battles.

Ye, I already have that on. It was really only the first time it happened and I thought “hey, having a button for that would be neat”

I concur on bounty system not being top-notch but I ever only do a few bounties on any character after my first one and that’s only if I’m trying to buy a particular augment before I go into ultimate (or less commonly need some faction gear). Pathing also isn’t top notch but I’ve gotten fairly used to it.

Something that bothers me that you didn’t mention is the “Champion defeated, Gain 150 reputation with [faction]” pop up. Its large and located in the part of the screen where action is most likely taking place. I’d rather turn it off completely or move it to the bottom left or bottom right of the screen.

Adds from heroes and bosses have like a fifth of the health of the thing that summons them. If you have trouble killing them, then the boss itself should be much harder, and yet you can claim the adds somehow have more health than the boss itself. You are gonna have to given me examples because i’m not seeing any boss that summons adds that have as much health as them.

The boss that summons the beefiest adds is Morgoneth and even then those have a fourth of his health.

@Volek Ye, it’s always there. I feel trolled lol.

@Norzan Sry, I meant for the humanoid enemies the Ads (and those shooting crystals) are more bulky than them.
I have no problem killing anything, It’s just that when anyone summons an Add, it is always the wrong answer to attack it instead of the summoner. Doesn’t matter if it dies in 5 hits, if the summoner resummons it 2 seconds later it’s just wasted time. Why ever attack any add.
(Though, the only time where I feel it is worth killing Adds is if they die in a few shots, like the flamethrowing zombies that the Aetherial spires spawn, or if otherwise the summoner would fill the whole room with them, like Cronley does.)

A new small thing:
At the area of the boss-battle of the master-of-flesh.
Why, for all the gods of cairn, do these two areas to the sides exist. They are a complete deathtrap and I remember dying too often thinking there must be a chest at the end or sth. But no, there’s only constant aether AOE and nothing at the end. Would really like that these are removed.

That’s where some of the adds he summons come from. You can’t remove them unless you want less adds in the fight.

I agree about specifically the search box in character inventory. There have been so many times I’ve wanted this.

And to dream even further, a Master Sesrch in the main menu area which tells you which characters have whatever you’re searching for in their inventories. When you’ve got 40 characters, this becomes heavily desired!

@Norzan Ah, I already thought so much. I suppose there’s also no way to close it off after having defeated the boss.

@Knife Wow, 40 characters. I can understand what you mean, I only have like three, but I already now have to use the personal inventories just to store all the epics.