The Arlequin!

While working on my necromancer I noticed something, beyond the tidal wave of necromancer masteries, no ones done a humorous one yet. SO necromancer scrapped, I bring you the Arlequin! By no means close to release, but it’s getting fleshed out enough to post something.

A humorous mastery based on, as you may have guessed, the stock characters of the Harlequinade! Expect toe stomping and head bonking - literally, I’ve managed to fit both of these into the Arlequin’s fighting chain - as well as being able to teleport in a poof of smoke accompanied by a “Puh” sound and the majestic cry of a party horn, only to reappear in a show of sparks and crackles!

The Arlequin’s skills will be based upon showy techniques that tend to cause more effects, such as slowing enemies, stunning or confusing them, more than damage, but that’s not to say they’re all de-buff. An experienced Arlequin can breath fire, or advance their at first damageless Flash and Awe skill (the teleport above) into Shock and Awe, a skill that’s somewhat electrifying. And since I love summons the Arlequin will have one, oOonce I figure out how to make an entity perfectly invisible. Based on the Zanni, which at times carried a wooden sword, the Arlequin will be able to summon the mythical wooden sword to help club their enemies to death. Advancements in this summon grant it bleeding damage in the form of splinters, then eventually the invisible entities will get dual wielding, so twice the Zanni Swords for half the summons!

The Arlequin’s class description reads: The Arlequin is the great-grandfather of the Nightblades, it’s said… by them. Nightblades typically pretend they don’t exist to be honest - but the elegant, mystical, majestic Arlequin knows the truth of it! Sword magicks, the art of seen and then, suddenly, unseen, they got it from the Arlequin, and don’t let anyone tell you different! I mean, who cares about “facts” and “history” anyways? The Arlequin is here to entertain, not bore you with such silly things as facts! The Arlequin lives for the show, and the show is bloody.

And it’s dual-classes are: Soldier - Hedgeknight. Demolitionist - Pyrotechnician. Occultist - Pantaloon (for now). Arcanist - Hedgemage. Shaman - Sacred Clown.

I’ve a video of Flash and Awe in action but I haven’t the slightest clue on how to do that. Just imagine a “Puff b’dweeeeen…” sound and you basically got it.

So what do you think? Does Grim Dawn have room for a humorous mastery among all the necromancers? Any idea’s on more circus/funny skills to add? I’m open to suggestions!

-Skills complete-

Flash and Awe/Shock and Awe (teleport) stuns and confuses + shock damage.

Dance of Misdirection/Toe Step Tango/Slapstick (attack replacer + two chance attacks) Weaker in damage than other attack replacers but it allows dual-wielding swords, daggers, maces, and scepters, the traditional fool weapons of choice, and causes enemies to fumble their attacks. Toe Step Tango causes threat and slowed movement, while Slapstick causes slowed attack plus a knock down chance.

Dragon’s Breath/Bellow Lungs (line damage) fire damage, then dot + chance of fear. Probably the Arlequin’s strongest attack. Might add a transmuter and see if I can make it ice, chaos, or something. Ice breath is cool, right?

-skills to go-

Summon Zanni Sword/Splinters/attack skill (multi summon and it’s buffs) progress! I finally got them completely invisible so it looks like they’re floating. For some reason I had to switch to the female pc mesh and just slap invisible texture on everything that said TEX to get something fully invisible and not just mostly.

Needs some passives, maybe an aura that gives defense rating or dodge. Infectious Dancing.

I’d say all in all 30% done.

Attachment: 20160704155211_1.jpg

1 Like

That’s fucking cool! An arlequin in Grim Dawn would be seriously awesome. And if it doesn’t fit in the lore you can always change its name, but that wouldn’t be fun.

Here let me write you some lore, tell me if it’s acceptable:

The Arlequins entertained the royal courts of many kingdoms in the world of Cairn ever since the dawn of kings. Although not much information is left of the noble universe to the rest after the Grim Dawn, it is no surprise the Arlequins can still be seen roaming the lands, looking to entertain and help the victims of the apocalypse. Their mastery in alchemy has little to no equal, and not one can rival with their mysterious ability to move solid objects and make them dance like a petal letting itself fly in the winds.

Nice, very interesting concept :slight_smile: I will be keeping an eye on this, as it stands out from nearly every mastery mod. :wink:

Awesome, they could always use some actual lore and background! As I’ve got it now they’re less assassin-y versions of Nightblades, with even some jabs at them in the skill descriptions - like, Dragon’s Breath: “Did he/she just breath fire? They breathed fire!” - the Arlequin’s enemies as you light them ablaze with a belch of flame. I’d like to see a Nightblade do that!

So they use similar magics and are like the Nightblades annoying cousin they don’t want to admit exists. But of course you can mix them, creating a Pierrot.

Oh I see! I completely omitted the part where they were kind of Nightblades. That’s a really neat idea. Well best of luck in your endeavors my friend.

Just kinda though. And thanks :smiley:

Hailing signal activated.

Please lower your shields.

Can I reserve a spot in DAIL for your mastery?

Sure, though I don’t have a timetable for it’s completion, so if some cooler mod sneaks along before I do finish it let it snag the spot.

you published i give dibs. my borg drones are infinite they will circle you until you emerge from your coccoon then immediately you will join the hive.

Alright, I’ll try to get it done in a timely manner. DAIL is like the ‘go to’ mod, so it’d be cool to have a part in that :smiley:

Here’s a quick preview of the (semi)custom skill icons! I’m not sprite expert so they’re not perfect, just what I could mangle and splice together, but I think they’re turning out alright! Couple of them are wonky and I have no idea why :I not a clue. Also…

The Zanni Sword pet is complete-ish! Every five levels is a new sword, with a 50% of equipping two at lvl 10 and 100% chance at level 16. They’re all in-game sword meshes but I managed to cut and slice the Wood Floor texture to give them a legit wooden coat! You get wood swords, and you get wood swords, everyone gets wooden swords! Still looking for some clowny skill ideas, otherwise, after some more icons and some passives and a ‘Infectious Dancing’ aura that gives dodge% to you and your allies, that’s about it I think. What do you guys think about a timed-summon, a +500% speed pig that does no damage but has a 100% chance at knockdown and plays Yackety Sax when summoned?

yes please

the pig idea is great.

also please review the hybrid names that we have proposed (i have 2 people helping me with the names. we have like 120 out of 426 left to go haha)

Thinking of a good name for this character…

Shaco or Bristlebane or Pennywise…

im guessing you played EQ since you used bristlebane example :smiley:

we need non human races in grim dawn so we can have filthy halflings running around stealing things

Get some 3 Stooges eye poking, face-slapping antics and sound effects in there and you’ll have some gold on yer hands.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yes… just yes. I lost it at Goat Fondler and Sneaky Bugger, those are just golden. Sneaky Bugger has to be my favorite, it’s just so simple yet utterly hilarious. Omg, there’s more Buggers, this is great. Spooker too! XD “So what build are you playing?” "“I’m a Spooker. I summon the WoOo’s and applause!”

And thank you! I was looking for sound effects for the toe stomp and the head bonk - I found some, but I think some 3 Stooges might be better. I didn’t even think of them.

Yup. I joined EQ1 during PoP era and it was the best time for raids. PoTime was fun. I played from PoP to uhh 18th expansion? I don’t remember…My main is bard. I have mage alt. Bard has arena rampage title (not unique, just to those who survived) and mage has another title. GM events are fun in past, but not anymore. then…EQ2 for few years with ratonga warlock as main.

:frowning: I’m thinking I’m not going to have as much time to work on this as I’d like - working on another non-GD related project - so I’m going to upload all I’ve got done for anyone who wants it. Change/add/finish it in any way you like, it’s ‘open source’ or whatnot. Sorry for halfassing it.:undecided:

Never uploaded anything before, so I hope this link works.

https://mega.nz/#!fsFRABgD!7S6Ban7NxtTa4Pl54MrxN13PfYm1yKzHqcLzL4Ga9G0

Encrypted?

[s]This is what I get when I click the link

Enter decryption key
To access this folder/file, you will need its Decryption key.
If you do not have the key, contact the creator of the link.
[/s]

Ah nevermind… looks like you changed it.