The Carnival - A Guide to Pets

I would assume it is related to a lag of resistances. Mainly aether and physical resistances. Probably not enough armor you would get with Will of the crypt for the Skellies.

After the first phase Warden creates an Aether pool you should avoid with the Skellies. Bring them out of the pool and respawn them if necessary. If you have a look at the grimtools database you can see the damage types Warden is using. Of course it is difficult to get the right items in this early stage of the game but it would be a explanation.

1 Like

Dear Maya.

Thank you very much for your reply. :slight_smile:

After I have read your reply I went back to Grimtools to try to understand how I could optimize my build for Chaosdamage. It is more the conversion from Vitality to Chaos. Do you think it is really an super unoptimal way to go for? I ask myself right now if I have a mistake in my thoughts. The conversion is made by the two rings (Mythical Voidwhisper Band). So I try to get as much Vitality damage as possible. But I think right now I have still not understood the way how conversion works.

A real overview of damage for pets would make it much more easy to understand what damage types are used when pets fights. But I have heard that the tools like GrimInternals can show you a bit more. I think I should use it to get a better understanding what pets are really doing within fights.

1 Like

Chaos damage is unoptimal for non-Occultist Cabalists because there’s very little flat damage (unless you’re going the Blood Orb route for full conversion, but Arcanist with no Health Regen and multiple sources of health drain? Yikes!) and no RR. Yes, there’s Vitality to Chaos conversion, but Vitality damage is much more useful for Skelemancers in general because there’s multiple sources of Elemental to Vitality conversion as well as inherent Vitality RR in the Necro line. There’s no point to using Arcacnist’s IEE line if you’re not to make good use of all that flat damage, in my opinion.

1 Like

What @thepowerofmediocrity said above :stuck_out_tongue:

Also note that IEE converts physical to elemental if you take Manifestation. Since that can’t be converted again into chaos, you are also losing a bit of dmg there.

To be truthful. I have no idea how to make skeletons work atm beyond the first few levels of Normal. They die too fast for my tastes that I avoid them like the plague and as such can never truly recommend them to anyone.

I had a feeling that what I said here was player error instead of a damnation of the build, so I kept going at it: my problem with Crucible is that I keep thinking that Vanguard banner is good. :slightly_frowning_face: After sticking with it for a few days, I found that Aether Reap Spirits perform similar to my Chaos Reap Spirits; good enough for easy SR 65-66 running, and at least fast enough to perhaps get 100-150 Crucible, though I have an awful time fighting trash waves with a huge number of Hero enemies. Anyway, here’s the build post - hope it’s to someone’s liking.

1 Like

It is. just that depends on the build. After a certain threshold Vanguard does more for you than beacons. But for lower dmg builds or ones that require constant running, beacons are better.

Hi Maya! I’ve got a question on relics for you, right now I have Ancestor but I have access to craft Dirge of Arkovia and Bysmiels Domination, how would you rate them and which would you recommend? Thanks!

1 Like

Generally, it would be Mogdrogen’s Ardor > Bysmiel’s Domination > Dirge of Arkovia > Ancestor.

Mog’s Ardor is pretty strong in general due to the +1 to all skills and the pet resistance it gives on top of the other bonuses.

But if you don’t need the +1 to skills and/or resistances, Bysmiel’s Domination has a strong proc that tremendously helps any and all pet builds. Pets love +%Total Speed :yum:

Dirge used to be one of my favourite Relics, especially for the extra Pet it provides. But a recent patch saw the Pet’s HP cut down by half. It was supposed to be just fixing a visual bug with Pet HP being displayed incorrectly before, but doesn’t seem that way ingame and feels like Pet HP was actually nerfed.
Regardless, I don’t really use it in my builds anymore since the pet dies too fast now for my tastes and it was already too slow and used as a tank in my pet builds. It is still however better than nothing if you don’t have Mog’s Ardor or Bysmiel’s Domination.

Ancestor is basically the poor man’s choice of general pet relic (you can also make do with Hysteria/Savage), for budget setups that you use until you can make something better :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response. Sounds like I’m going to be crafting myself a Bysmiel relic! I’m level 73 now and have almost finished crafting my Beastcaller set, the build is absolutely wrecking stuff. Thank you so much for your guides and help it’s been a lot of fun. I’ll checkin again later when I’ve made more progress. My goal is to make it a “lightning pets” build. I’ll need a few specific items for that so we’ll see how it goes. Thanks again.

1 Like

With 2x Briarthorns?

If so, I can make a GT link specifically for that and link it here :3

Sure! That would be really helpful, would I be able to start working towards it now or do I need to wait to level 94/100 and have specific gear?

Unfortunately, you will need to get to 94 to fully make the build. But the level up process is the same as any general pet conjurer.

Defensive Faceroll on keyboard Version: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/w26gpkOV
Mogdrogen Devo based offensive version: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/wV1rpanZ

I could make one with Dying God too, but looking at the stats and what you have to sacrifice for a little gain, not worth it in this setup.

Also do note that the greens included can be used without those specific affixes, but I just went with the best ones given the latest updates making MI’s easier to get.

Note II: You can also include Primal Spirit in the setup by taking points from Hellhound.

Thank you! This is again really helpful, I’ll start collecting pieces and slowly building towards this and yes I think I’ll go with Primal Spirit it looks like a lot of fun!

1 Like

I like Skeletal Servant pet, it’s cool. I tried it both with OgNapesh and can keep them alive in Crucible but in SR they really die.

Primal Instinct is the opposite, swarms are slow in Crucible but in small SR arena can be helpful.

But I too can’t go pass Ardor, Bysmiel proc is nice but lack of any skill points is major problem.

1 Like

@Maya

Quick 2 part question please:

Your experience with Gate of Many Worlds

Can the pets that proc from that off hand taunt via Ishtak T3 constellation proc?

Thanks a whole bunch for all your guides!!

1 Like

Gate of Many Worlds was something I under-estimated when it was first revealed and then turned out to be amazing upon actually trying it out at release. So definitely recommended if your build can make use of it.

I am not sure how it is coded ingame, but I don’t think it can taunt. Atleast have never seen enemies try to go for the Gates.

Thanks so much Maya!! Really curious about the taunt. If I have time, I want to try and test it.

1 Like

Love the guides, they are what keep me coming back to this game. Havent played since some time in 2019 but from what I can tell it was an older version of the Sanguine Lupus build.

I pretty much have every item for all of these builds except for 3/4 of the Bysmiels Trinkets. Is the Sanguine build still probably the best one to be playing until I get my hands on the rest of that set?

1 Like

Glad to hear it :yum:

And for conjurer I would still recommend Lupus until you have full trinkets set, yes.

But in general, Ishtar is currently my second strongest build atm. So if you don’t mind playing Ritualist, I would wholeheartedly recommend it :blush: