The Carnival - A Guide to Pets

Maya has been making new builds in reddit.

this one uses a farmable set.

For some reason forum won’t let me link to reddit and says it is not allowed to link to that particular host(reddit). so the link above is tinyurl one leading to the same reddit post.

You can also contact them on reddit directly > MayaGD

Holy shit, you guys banned Maya?

Thats a bummer

There was a new update to the guide it seems. Link to reddit post here

The discrepancy should be limited to the mini guide section with the Doctor - Pet Ritualist and Necromancer devotions.

2 Likes
1 Like

They basically walked deliberately into getting banned from memory, complete with direct warnings telling them to knock it off.

1 Like
2 Likes

Noob alert :sweat_smile: I will keep it short .
I never played pets in any ARPGs . I started GD with a warder which turned out to be a lightning build with briarthorn( the shaman pet) and the eldritch hound PROCing.
My problem with pet builds is that as I surf the grim world my pets “follow” me most of the times ( except the raven of occultist and that of the shaman). Thus I end up getting targetted first and then Click Click Click + smash the pet attack button .

I have two maxed SC characters ( physical warder, cold reaper ) and one maxed alive HC character ( Fire purifier ) .

Correct me if I am wrong or I am doing something wrong - whenever I try to “create” a build of my own I fail and in the end I figured it’s not the skill that I wanna use that I need to select first, it’s the damage type according to the BiS equipments.

Now I’m gonna try out the pets build seriously. Thank you for the awesome pet guide though. I didn’t skip any part and read the whole pdf ! :partying_face:

1 Like

Set the pet based pets like Briarthorn, Hellhound, etc, to aggressive stance by right clicking on their icons and choosing that option. Then stand back and let them do their thing.

2 Likes

One trick you can try is to bind “pet attack” to Left mouse button.
That way when you click on an enemy or if you are holding down the mouse button, as soon as you move the cursor over the enemy your pets should start attacking it.

Setting their stance to aggressive also helps since it increases their leash range which lets your pets aggro on enemies farther away than normal.

It also helps to wait until your pets have engaged the enemy before using skills like Curse of Frailty.

1 Like

Thank you for the idea. By the way player scaled pets can’t be set stance of, right ?

that’s a great idea ! I have never used the pet attack assigned to LMB . will definitely try it out ! Thanks a lot !

Nope, only pet based ones can be set.

1 Like

Linking these here so that they are easier to find for others -

1. Fluffy Squishy, Pet Conjurer - Callagadra Facetank Edition by Maya (SR-135)

2. boO - GD League Pet Ritualist by Maya

3. WOOF - Meme Hellhound only Pet Conjurer by Maya

4. Petwalker - Walking Simulator Budget Pet Conjurer by Maya

5. Hecate - Lazy Dark One's Set Budget Pet Ritualist by Maya

6. UwU – Player-Scaled-Pets Archon by Maya

7. The Red Knight – Player-Scaled-Pets Archon by Maya

8. The High Bird - Lazy Ranged/Pet Hybrid Conjurer by Maya (Callagadra Edition)

issuu link no longer works due to website changes limiting content to 50 pages.

New Link - The Carnival - Pet Guide - Copy.pdf | PDF Host

Well, that sucks. Shame on issuu. Meanies!

1 Like

Quick question, didn’t see it anywhere in the above; why is Spectral Binding/Wrath being levelled? Wouldn’t it be more useful to have Mark of Torment / Ill omens for survival?

Spectral Wrath is for RR.
Spectral Binding is mostly a point dump if more than 1 point is invested.

Reason for no Mark of Torment / Ill Omen is mostly to make the build easier to play by reducing required key presses. But they can be taken if required.

1 Like

Thank you, I wondered if the spirits would still do enough non-elemental damage to justify it, but clearly they do. Cheers!

Hello. I’m new to Grim Dawn and I’m currently in Elite using a Pet Conjurer build that will focus on Lightning damage (and damage conversion to lightning). What I want to ask is can I forgo Manipulation if my pet focus are Familiar, Primal Spirit, and Briarthorn (for Emboldening Presence). This will free up 18 skills points from the Mastery (so I can leave it at 32) and 12 skills points from Manipulation. The reason that I want to forgo it is I’ve noticed that Primal Spirit can teleport to pack of mobs after finishing another pack of mobs. And also, the familiar is a ranged pet (storm orbs and lightning strike can even target mobs beyond a wall) so I think pet movement speed may not be as important?