[The Crucible] Perceived shift in difficulty - especially Crowd Control against players

Also on the topic, as I have said in private, there have been zero database changes in regards to cc duration or resist calculation. I’ve played more crucible in the last month than the previous 2 or 3 combined and I have not experienced anything out of the ordinary when it comes to cc. The only noticable thing I’ve found is the above mentioned weird actions of movement abilities at times.

2 Likes

Experts come and go but they leave legacy which the successors use to their advantage. That’s how the whole civilization works. What makes you think GD escapes this principle?
Builds of today are more optimised than they were before. Even than they were 6 months ago. It’s natural and has nothing to do with some being better than the others.

I don’t know if i’m, or anyone of current players, is “better”. Can’t say for other people, but i don’t proclaim anything either. I’m just a guy who plays this game a lot and has analytical approach to everything he does. I give feedback, you decide how to take it, end of story.

What makes you say that in the first place? If you ask me, i’m glad the challenge involves player skill. But that was not what i was talking about. I just remember that things were easier, it’s as simple as that: many builds could facetank Crucible, no they cannot. Isn’t that an indicator Crucible got harder?

But that is not the case for the majority of the builds. As you said, this game is very complicated so are builds in it. When you nerf the dmg of a given build, you can’t be confident it will just become slower. It is very likely the build will fall apart because high dmg was the main thing holding it together, allowing it to mitigate the most dangerous fights by killing the most dangeruos enemies fast enough. Consequently, the build has to created from the ground up. Usually it is possible. But it’s very tiring.

I’m not sure who are you talking to. I’m not “you guys”, i’m a separate person, buyer of this game, and i want to be treated as such. When i see things like “Class over” in a general response from a dev, like everyone who disagrees with them is some naughty kid needs to be schooled, i feel the right to speak up.

I’ve made two beginner’s guides and a few meme builds and i won’t ever insult anyone who doesn’t care for optimization. So

no, i wont think hard and i won’t be mindful of anything. I consider the relationship between the devs and the active community as mutually beneficial. If you decide to “run out of patience” on someone and end it, that’s your call.

4 Likes

Yeah, but it makes one-handed and dual wielding physical builds less than desirable. Add to that huge incosistency of Cadence damage that leads to incosistency in adtch (the major thing in survival of melee) and you have what you have: s&b and dw melee physical being behind pretty much everything. By the way, extra target helped but just a tiny bit. Physical Cadence could still use a bit of an overhaul.

I have asked it many times, but for example WPS and Cadence interaction when s&b, dw and 2h? Why do Soldier wps are designed in a way that one is only working with 2h and other one with dw/1h? How does racial damage apply to spells from main-hand component/augment? Why does melee Fire-Strike has such difficulties with adtch despite big weapon damage tool-tip in second tab (I suspect that Static Strike and Brimstone are not taking into account when adtch is calculated)? There are some more questions that are still not answered, but those that I could remember of of the top of my head.

2 Likes

low %WD…

Flat not calculated. This was established in vanilla

Are Pets balanced around this too?
Because I don’t think anyone had been able to make a physical pet build comparable in strength to other damage types. And I very much assume that the armor & phys dmg interaction is the core of the problem.

1 Like

armor shredding birbs confirmed?

2 Likes

1 Like

@mad_lee

*Life Steal
Percent of Attack Damage Converted to Health is a form of life steal available in Grim Dawn. It functions differently depending on whether you find it on equipment or on a skill. When on equipment, life steal applies only to your weapon attacks. If you use a skill with % Weapon Damage, that component of the skill benefit from the life steal. In either case, only the direct damage is considered for life steal. Damage over Time, such as Bleed or Poison, does not trigger it.

When found on a skill, Percent of Attack Damage Converted to Health applies to all of that skill’s direct damage.*

Your excerpt is mostly irrelevant but my question is answered here

Which makes it extra hard for melee FS builds. And it’s not like there are a lot of them around.

best thread ive seen in months :rofl:

6 Likes

well

I made a 240K dps Sabo.

Looks drool inducing on paper in all aspects

To my relative surprise (didn’t have high expectations anyway) while performance was sub mediocre as expected - 7 min or smth like that, maybe 6:30 on agreat one…the build was immortal. It did shit damage but refused to die under any circumstance. build for pure DPS ans just mindless facetanking.

Sabo is not that papaer like some say (using a melee combo considered meh for FS as example)

Lifesteal and survivability is not the issue of FS esecially DW. Lifesteal is also great with capped explosive strike on DW. It’s very good at that. too bad more of the flat phys on it can’t be properly converted. Otherwise would be pretty bleastly

1 Like

yeah i always try to max out explosive strike, and definitely notice a difference with damage, aoe and better life steal.

May I take a look at that magnificent sabo?
Cuz chaos sabo, with similar dps and high adcth is paper thin.

2 Likes

Was that dual Voidspire Chaos Sabo? I made that one too. Sick paper dps but adtch was seriously lacking. And it wasn’t really consistent (also seriously sub-par to Rah’Zin’s WH).

I also did make some pretty fast melee FS builds, but one’s adtch is carried but 60% converted Bat(6-6:30m build) bound to main attack and other one’s adtch is carried by SR set, and Nex and Ortus set(5:30-6m build). So I have quite a bit of experience in making melee FS builds work. But on its own melee FS is very lacking. Melee builds connousseur @banana_peel would confirm it.

1 Like

No no, old fire sabo tribute to jajaja, was supposed to be, but maybe this patch it will be a bit buffed on FS side, i hope

Sure, bit later, but it’s fire sabo

I’m surprised people still think that ideas&feedback system works :rofl:

3 Likes

Well the thread is still not locked, and no one has been banned yet, so the discussion is still ongoing and it might be premature to assume ideas and feedback system doesnt work. Everyone could still glean something from this resource.

Crucible is definitely harder now. It is the only thing I play in Grim Dawn anymore. My piloting skills are mediocre - but I do feel the shift towards Crucible becoming tougher. I rarely can clear 150-170 waves these days . 1 /10 seems to be the norm for me, whereas earlier it used to 5 /10

So this is intentional then?

1 Like

Having been hanging around the forums and playing since around B13 I’d actually argue, at least from what I review in build threads, that we’ve gotten drastically worse instead better. All I see in every “best ever” style build thread is poorly documented anecdotal evidence and cherry picked speed runs. I haven’t seen a detailed numbers breakdown in years explaining why gear piece X is more useful than Y, or why what appears to be a 5% difference somehow makes the build (because it almost certainly doesn’t). From an in-depth math and related mechanics breakdown standpoint, these forums are a disaster compared to most other major arpgs (@malawiglenn and @tqFan excluded off the top of my head). Maybe it all happens on the russian discord and never sees the light of day, but from what gets posted here, it looks like a series of poorly controlled experiments producing sometimes brilliant, sometimes questionable takeaways. Compounding that is then the audacity, in the lack of any of this hard data, to claim across the board understanding of what is best in almost every other build and feedback thread that pops up. I don’t think anyone is discrediting the time spent playing and intuitive understanding that comes from that, but ultimately the game boils down to numbers at the end of the day and that side of the discussion has been absent for a long time.

6 Likes