[The Crucible] Perceived shift in difficulty - especially Crowd Control against players

Have you actually played Crucible yourself that much? A lot of builders will confirm this: Crucible has only gotten harder with patches. Of course it’s not just banners/blessings nerfs or rampant CC that for some reason has gotten more severe in the last patches it’s also multiple nerfs to a lot of skills/items/devotions/racial damage, etc.

Because damage from the component spell never makes or breaks the build, but the utility can. Biting Blades are not only more easily converted to one type of damage - they have a larger weapon damage component which means higher adtch - something that caster usually lack. Plus the blade hits twice which makes it a very good proccer. It’s pretty simple. If you look at the most top builds you will never see Acid Purge, you will however see a lot of Biting Blades.

2 Likes

Its not about top builds or being fast lee , you just said this.
because its not used on speedruns (which is how everyone showcases builds anymore) just means “this works better for this” not that it IS better

Yup, can definitely confirm that Cruci has only got harder.

And while people have made faster builds and with amazing pilots, got even faster clears, that shouldn’t be used as the standard to measure overall difficulty of the content. For one, I know that I will barely even finish crucible with most of the builds you guys are running.

5 Likes

Look, I agree that not everything is about speedruns. I think we can stop mentioning them in relation to this feedback. It’s just items meta has always been balanced around top-performing builds. That way it’s easy to see which items are in balance, which are overtuned and which are undertuned. Builders/min-maxers try out everything before they think they find the strongest combination available. Then there are niche items that are also used but not as much. But then there are items that are almost never used because they are just designed badly. Which is fine, there are hundreds of items in Grim Dawn, you can’t possibly design all of them to be useful. This is where feedback like this should help.

Seal of Blight is one of those items. Its utility is the lowest out of all Seals. And I have already mentioned why. It’s your right to disagree tho.

3 Likes

Cruci should be played without buffs and banners and other stuff to truly show build’s power in my opinion.

4 Likes

Spanky used to run them like that when he was around. I do too.

Only problem though is that if you build for naked Cruci, it won’t be as effective for farming it, which is what most players would be interested in anyways.

1 Like

People who play Crucible GDStash builds anyway :thinking:

3 Likes

Yes.

No. Maybe 10-15 170 clears per patch (not-hotfix). As a mid-range performer in the Crucible, I haven’t noticed a difficulty increase in literal years, except for immediately after new monsters get added and that’s usually only because I need time to adjust. My guess? You 0.001% are pushing yourselves too hard by trying to go too fast, and thus the perception is that the game is getting harder. That’s fine, play the game long enough you’re bound to develop certain biases. It’s only important that you can recognize them, though:

Over the years, GD has gotten marginally faster. I think the biggest speed change came with FG thanks to movement runes, which not only incur enhanced mobility/hastiness, but also allow players to be a little skimpier on their defenses because they don’t get hit as much (because they move around more). That ‘speed’ looks like its gotten easier and it translates into Crucible times. But by and large, the overall difficulty of the game hasn’t gone down much. It absolutely hasn’t gone up, though. The height of the game’s difficulty was by far shortly after it released from EA, and it’s been a very slow decline from there.

1 Like

2 Likes

Dude, 10-15 times with one-two builds is not enough to draw a conclusion, especially if those two builds haven’t been touched by nerfs or even got buffed in recent patches. I play Crucible with dozens of builds every patch A LOT. So do other builders who can confirm that it got harder.

As I said, it’s a cumulative effect of blessings/banners nerfs and different items/devotions/metas nerfs. Plus some new bugs with increased cc-effects and some old bugs with monsters being stuck in spawn and Aether casters sometimes being almost immune to elemental damage.

1 Like

That has always been like this, they can equip elemental res gear. Humans in this game are cheating lol.

> Implying it’s not 10-15 builds.

As I said, it hasn’t gotten harder to the vast majority of players (which you claim to care about in other feedback posts, so why the sudden change of heart?), only the uberechelon that is trying to go sub-5. If your omegastrong builds were more content with 6m or 7m, even if they could perform faster, would you really say the Crucible is so difficult?

Also, what the hell are you talking about with CC bugs, lol?

I guess I belong in the uber-echelon trying to go sub-5 then? :thinking:

1 Like

I mean…yeah?

Must admit it’s a cool nickname

1 Like

Because none of my builds have ever broken the 6min mark and even then, the ones I usually make go 7min+.

However, compared to some patches ago, noticed enough of a jump in Crucible difficulty for me to consider it no longer even worth it to test my builds there anymore. This is speaking from the Pet perspective btw.

But ofcourse, at the same time, Plasmo did a run with a Skeleton Ritualist, clocking at 5:09 while I sometimes can’t even keep Briarthorns alive… But if you base your claims on pilots like him then yeah, Cruci’s difficulty did not get harder.

3 Likes

Anyone implying that Crucible has gotten harder since its inception (or the release of AoM when it was actually at its hardest) is just patently wrong.

When the standard of success was literally double of where we are now, it’s not because some self-inflating experts figured out the game. A number of significant nerfs occurred in the Crucible over the years while player power has creeped ever higher. In fact, there has been a number of very predictable spikes in clear times going down that coincided exactly with patches that had major increases to player mobility and damage output.

All this, coupled with the “meta” shifting towards min-maxing glass cannon runs, has resulted in a substantial reduction in clear times that then became the new “norm” and when pushing those times further became more difficult (common sense, there are going to be limits) suddenly the Crucible has been getting harder. Hilarious…joke…

Class over.

7 Likes

Wrong takeaway.

I remember when just finishing Gladiator 170 was an accomplishment. And that was with everything you could use, even res potions. :stuck_out_tongue:

Why are Pets harder to keep alive now compared to before then :thinking:

and yes, taking into account skill/item nerfs.
and no, not talking about since its inception, but like from FG…

2 Likes