[The Crucible] Perceived shift in difficulty - especially Crowd Control against players

Well thank god for that!

Still that’s seriously threatening for all your skills to suddenly go on cooldown especially if you’re also battling 2 or more big bosses or nemesis who can freeze/trap like moosi and Ben’jar. Trapped and in a disruption pool lol.

I had a video where i had Ghoul and Prismatic ready, Grava used his charge, none of them proced and i died. Ghoul is a devotion skill and a circuit breaker so i guess that answers the question.

Skill disruption matters. I will go after it because SR will hand your ass to you on buffet plate in one global cool down or less. Hence my above thoughts on CC res.

Minus sleep of course which seems to have no place and was a carry over from TQ.

After I think a bit more, the skill interruption matters more against heros it seems as opposed to bosses so much. Which makes it really good between boss rooms. Some of those floors have a flood of hero mobs that can really lay you out if combined with say grava and all that screen noise.

Not to mention AAR as someone else already mentioned or any other channel ability.

1 Like

I would say this, disruption is rare, done by few Basilisk mobs, heroes and most notably Grava. Disrupt causes all of your skills to go on CD and can’t be used. Usually having skill disrupt protection(slightly misleading) means the effect will be shorter, chance of enemy disrupt attack to succeed is still the same.

But, if you are disrupted, your first instinct will be to use movement skill to escape, but won’t work. Some disruption res will allow you to use quickly the rune. So disrupt have some application, but you can see why some players don’t hold it in high regard.

Oh and ofc Disrupt is useful if you are playing channeling skill build like AAR or FoI.

1 Like

That’s just simply not true and couldn’t be further away from truth. Skill disruption protection is one of the most coveted cc-resists in endgame, both in shards and Crucible.

4 Likes

Is that one of the reasons Possession is so good?

Yes. Possession is very, very good.

1 Like

So to get the focus bending back towards the original purpose of this thread, is it possible then that maybe some kind of weird interaction between items, skills, and balancing changes could have affected the behaviors of skill disruption protection and CC effects? As in, there clearly was no intentional change to CC effects against players in particular that anyone is aware occured, but some kind of anomaly is causing the in-game mechanics to behave slightly differently to where CC effects against players appears to be more frequent and impactful?

Is that a possibility?

Honestly this feedback always finds its way into these threads every patch. All made by the same people and the ones who support them. 1.1.6.0 did introduce changes in cruci especially on storm beacons which mostly nerfed everyone. But CC has always been present in cruci. What changed the most is players’ perception on how the game should be played. It’s not necessarily building more glass cannons but changing the way you move inside cruci. The rotations, the buff/banner setup.

For example, during those days when Vanguard banner + 3 buffs was the common setup, people would usually camp in bottom left, where the banner is located - eliminating the bot left enemies early and finishing what’s remaining from the other sides.

Nowadays 4 beacons are widely used which led people to mostly play herding in center - and it alleviates aggro bugs, meaning you’re facing more enemies on average compared to vanguard setups making you more susceptible to cc.

It’s not just that. Even during patches where nothing changed in beacon setups (i.e. 1.1.5.2 to 1.1.6.0) this feedback is still prevalent - because as people find more ways to optimize times, it almost always leads to more dangers, or should I say, different dangers. I used to rush Dravis on 169 but switched to rushing Annie. Now I find Dravis to be the most dangerous boss on 169 instead of Annie or Korvaak because of this rotation.

I recognize that cruci somehow got harder but I also recognize that this is most likely due to the shift in my own gameplay rather than some mysterious changes in the patch notes that zantai somehow didn’t tell us.

And yeah I recognize that this won’t go well with the “zantai go fuck yourself and play your own game you know nothing” crowd

9 Likes

gosh pierce cadence blademaster is poop? have you tried physical cadence? xD

1 Like

i believe he was joking :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A crowd is comprised of people. Your character is a person, right?

Or do you simply think that taking the role of the hero in a game makes the character somehow immune to the effects it can use against enemies? We’re all Chuck Norris, yeah?
“I can get cold like everyone else, but I never freeze.”
“Oh yeah! That guy. 2 tons of meat and he hits the ground like a wet fish? Gave me a bit of a shake, sure, but stun? Never! Me, now - when I lay into the ground with my hammer the whole Shattered Realm goes night night.”

Sounds legit…

I’ve seen much worse on this forum…to see my post deleted was actually sad…I actually though it was funny given the fact that people should read first. I am almost tempted to past it again since I can remember it word for word more or less lol

@Shadowpast - if you see worse than what I have just deleted, please flag it. TYVM

Still you have a point as Zantai used to argue against CC on bosses like this:

In the end it’s splitting hairs over semantics and game terminology. Bosses are immune to many status effects, whereas the player is only against knock-down and staggering.

1 Like

Sarcasm…last 4 words.

Edit: Round 2, fight:

So before I was so callously outmaneuvered, I suppose I need to give the “G” rated reply.

@LordThundyr

My quote is being taken out of context. It was, as I said above, sarcasm. Clearly, at least I thought, evident from the last 4 words.

If I want to IP Man my way through the game I would’ve modded everything’s cc res to 0, regardless of whether it was “legit” or not.

I don’t think anybody would agree to remove cc completely so there’s no need for ridiculing other people’s attempts at humor. The way I see it, This thread is about how strong cc effects currently are and how it affects the game.

Imo right now there’s too much stun and freeze in the game. Availability of stun res did increase (not for everyone, though. Ex. acid still has almost no cc res on gear, devotions and masteries - outside the temporary Ascension) but there’s no way to raise the cap. And cc effects are so common that even at 20% strength they can affect the gameplay making it clunky and inconsistent.

Getting cc-ed interrupts the animation of what you’re doing especially movement skills. But even autoattack. I was playing a 2h Savagery build lately and even with stun res capped I had situations where I could not hit with that Savagery for a while because of getting microstunned from all directions. It does not happen all the time as enemy cc skills are usually on cooldown. But with so many heroes having such skills, the chance that it happen is quite big. This is another layer of RNG aka “Why TF Did I Die?” Imho GD really does not need more of those. Especially with all the issues with responsiveness and FPS.

At least this is how it feels for me. If there’s anything wrong with my assessment pls let me know but keep it civil, please.

2 Likes

I honestly struggle to see why complaints about the character being affected by non-damage enemy mob effects should have any traction, yet several people spring to the defence at once - lol. If enemies deal a certain damage type to which the character may be susceptible (the cap is not 100% so you’re still susceptible) then surely the onus is on the player to control how many of those effects he or she can handle at any one time without getting, say, stun-locked? I also hate that Aether damage can interrupt the character, but if that leads to a character death then I need to play better, not apply sarcasm in an online thread of complaints.

GD could have better tells about insta-gib deaths, yes, but that’s a different argument.

A large part of the game is a gear/maths check, and there are times when RNG will let you down if you allow the character to become overwhelmed. It might only be a 1:20 chance of getting ‘stuck’ or without ADctH for a critical period, but if you put the character into 100 such situations chances are that the character could die 5 times. If you don’t like those numbers, play differently. Pushing high rifts and Gladiator content does increase risk, of course, but the end game is meant to be hard. Failing to punish a player for not taking the enemies seriously would be the opposite of making it hard.

Shadowpast’s attempt at humour notwithstanding, “I couldn’t act for several seconds, this game is so unfair!” is exactly what it’s called earlier in this thread - a misplaced sense of arrogance and/or entitlement. You can’t allow max-everything all the time on every character because it’s just bad game design, and Zantai absolutely knows that better than the rest of us.

2 Likes

Look, when difficulty spikes are fair, I agree, there is no reason to complain. Thing is, it’s one thing to face a deadly Nemesis in Crucible Gladiator or deep Shards and another thing to battle buggy mechanics of the old engine.

Another thing, unfortunately, because of the old engine or specific game design or everything together, CC-mechanics do not work both ways and some of them (hello “sleep” and “life leech” resistance) don’t work at all. Which is, and I am sure you understand why, is very frustrating. Like there are skills and sets dedicated to certain CC but their uses are super-limited because all important Bosses are basically very resistant and immune to CC.

Bosses are immune to things in so many games and that’s part of what makes them bosses. They don’t follow the rules of ordinary monsters. Otherwise you could say: “why is he called a boss when he dies just as easily as anybody?”

Most of them do die easily and pretty fast anyway when facing min-maxed endgame builds, but the reason lack of CC-mechanics is frustrating is because it kind of makes endgame gameplay a bit homogenous in that sense. Like, stack enough damage and enough defenses and just outleech/outdamage the big boss. CC-mechanics could give those fights different flavour but unfortunatey it doesn’t work properly.

If you played D3 you might remember that (despite all the drawbacks of the game) bosses have CC-resists that increased when you were cc-ing them.

Like imagine how cool it would be if your Rimetongue Infiltrator could trap big Grava’Thul, but you knew that each trap’s duration would be shorter and shorter untill it would stop working on him so you have to approach that fight strategically as in time your traps, try to deal as much damage as possible while boss as trapped, plan how you gonna kite when traps become less potent, etc. etc.

3 Likes