[The Crucible] Perceived shift in difficulty - especially Crowd Control against players

@LordThindyr pls read your post above and ask yourself, “How constructive was this as player contribution to balancing and perfecting the game?” You’re basically saying everything is already perfect, and shutting down those who claim otherwise. How does this help as player feedback?

Also,

This doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

You seem to have missed criticising other posters for doing the same?

My point is simply that some gripes are largely about game difficulty in the most difficult areas of the game. They are not of the kind: “In situation X, Y happens consistently which is at odds with the rules of the interaction,” but rather “RNG in situation X is really bad,” as though RNG is itself a buggy game system. Being adversely affected by non-damage effects doesn’t generally matter so much elsewhere, regardless of whether by accident or design - only when pushing the limits of the game engine and/or enemy difficulty. So it’s hard to tell whether there is a genuine concern or if players are just salty. If an enemy skill or effect can interrupt the character in certain circumstances, then why be surprised when it can interrupt literally anything the character was doing? Or do I not understand the meaning of “interrupt”?

Some background that supports the next paragraph: Even as long ago as Diablo 2, I had a build that would get stuck in the Act II tombs surrounded by enemies that would induce ‘block lock’ - the character took no damage because it could block everything, but would never have an opportunity to attack back nor could it move or create a town portal or do, well, anything. It was infuriating but I can tell you that wasn’t a bug, merely a consequence of my build and play style, and there was no way Blizzard were going to overhaul the blocking system to ‘fix’ it (though they may have eventually - I stopped playing the character so I never tested it later). Blocking cooldowns were introduced in later games so that the shield wasn’t always available to interrupt your movement skill or attack.

So with reference to your earlier post: Being “micro-stunned” in GD when facing a specific set of enemies simultaneously doesn’t sound like anything different to my block lock in Diablo 2. It’s pretty hard to suggest an “I can’t be hit by cc-effects cooldown” (even though the enemies have them) because, well, for what logical reason should it exist? So that we don’t have to care that an enemy’s greatest threat is to interrupt the character? How would that concept support the idea of “high difficulty area boss”?

The game isn’t perfect - I never said it was. But some “issues” simply don’t make sense to me.

{Aside: the Aether thing is noticeable when getting hit by Krieg’s effects and I always assumed it was an aether damage side-effect. Clearly it’s something else, but my point about playing better or differently stands.}

I can’t but wonder if you really read everything here on this thread.

You’re notion of aether causing issues doesn’t lend well to any of your arguments because it shows lack of a general understanding of game mechanics.

I don’t think the moderator even understood what I was trying to portray when I stated my sarcastic comment because they answered it like it was legit when everything else I posted backed @mad_lee in the fact that things can happen in background that no one noticed.

After that I went as far as saying that certain anti cc affects are absolutely necessary or else insta gibs are in store for you. Also, when I use my reading comprehension, I see that my legitimate gripe was that I wished I didn’t have to take all the same nodes/items to get the cc res I needed to survive and NOT complaining about the cc res itself.

Uninformed and outdated use of “leg” attacks without context gains no traction from me. Furthermore not a single person batted an eye at my sarcastic comment from my post down with the exception of yourself. That’s 50 posts. From those optics, picking a fight sounds more akin to what was occurring here.

So you have perceived issues with people whining…about things you don’t like or agree with…okay…However that’s your problem. Your “Walker, Texas Ranger” comment was done based on your biases/beliefs without even clarification from what the poster was trying to do or say. Maybe a simple, “was that a real feeling about cc?” Question would have gave a “sparkling” response of “lol, no”

I don’t like the “meta” of this game. But I won’t try and ruin it for others with petty references especially if I failed to read a comment or my beliefs. That’s the way they want to play and I want to play a certain way so who am I to change it.

All gripes about this game are legit in the eyes of the player that is playing it, from that angle alone. It doesn’t mean they are right, but it impacts their fun and that matters. So I won’t ask for CR to get shat on because it’s fun for others. I won’t ask for the cc res to go away because I got locked. Never have. Never will. Never did in this post. I won’t use anymore time trying to figure out why only 2 people on this thread thought I was making a legit complaint.

Again, @mad_lee, I hear you man. Sometimes things happen in the background and should just be checked. If nothing changed, well what can you do…

5 Likes

The Block Lock was a buggy mechanic of a 20 year old engine. If Diablo 2: LoD was the best aRPG ever it doesn’t mean it was without its flaws. It had quite a lot of weird mechanics that weren’t balanced. It doesn’t mean that buggy mechanics/interactions that can be fixed should be part of Grim Dawn despite how much it copies Titan Quest/Diablo 2.

I want to understand who you’re referring to at the end of this first paragraph when you mention playing better rather than applying sarcasm- what/who exactly are you referring to?

My guess was me. His rebuttal is flawed because it comes from a place of bias, his belief that if someone complains about something it is because they need to “get gud” or “#lolsaltytears” which couldn’t be further from the truth and wasn’t something that was occurring here.

What occurred here was someone stating a perceived change to cc and, in their way, came to forum to see what was the truth. Not to mention, others in his community noticed the same. If you look at those facts alone without checking the backend of the software, is legitimate until proven otherwise which was. End of story.

My deleted post was definitely vulgar but didn’t attack the person but it did attack his argument and his point of view which was my point.

@mad_lee re: D2

Yeah all true. It might have been the greatest aRPG at the time but it’s not now. Comparing modern day rpgs to it, it’s apples to oranges. PoE and GD are light years ahead in terms of complexity, better balance of systems, etc. even if you take each game’s flaws into account.

Disregard since I was just proven wrong: If it is the greatest why are we here playing GD and not D2? Or anything else for that matter.

1 Like

I am playing d2 …

2 Likes

Edited my post since you have proven me wrong sir. Thank you :+1:

1 Like

Aether damage cannot interrupt the character. Note that a mechanic for microstuns exists in the game but players are immune to it.

How do these not work?

This is some good feedback but probably beyond the scope of what to expect for GD, where wide codechanges/balance reconfigurations are quite unlikely. Here’s to GD2, though!

3 Likes

Oh god I’d love love LOVE to see that kind of CC mechanic in Gd2!

Well Sleep - I am not even sure what it does. Only instance of its remotely working that I know of - Shadow Strike’s Nightfall. But I never felt effect of that CC tbh.

Life Leech Resistance - useless because monsters have huge hp pools and most of their healing actually comes from healing and not from leeching. Their leech is inconsequential really - they have huge hp pools and leeching 2k hp of a player like once in few seconds doesn’t really matter at all.

Fair. It’s pretty useless and always has been since Titan Quest, but it does function (even if players are immune to it, as they are Knockdown as well). Sleep is essentially Stun that ends when its duration ticks out OR when the target takes damage. It’s barely noticeable but if you’re looking for it on a lower-damage Shadow Strike setup (e.g., a mobility one that just has Nightfall for some AoE), you can occasionally see low-tier mobs slept.

OK so it’s less that it doesn’t work and more that - again - it’s inconsequential. Also fair. Mad Queen’s leech is not insignificant, though that is really the only high-end case I can think of where it might matter and player DPS has reached a point where she’s no longer a significant threat despite her leech.

3 Likes

I’ve been playing with beacons and gathering monsters in the center since 1.1.5. Two of the prominent waves where the fights have changed in 1.1.6 are 156 and 169. Never have i ever died at 156 before 1.1.6 and i’ve died there several times now due to chain-CC. Which is not a bad thing, of course, when the wave with 3 bosses is dangerous. But it shows the difference that could not have possibly been caused by dmg reduction from Amatok and beacon nerfs. At 169 you can be chain-interrupted when fightning Korvaak, Dravis and two fatties.

Bad thing about chain-CC, it cannot be countered by the majority of chars and it cannot be avoided by melee chars. It’s very disheartening to know some things from the content (that is a subject of balance) can kill you no matter the effort.

2 Likes

Yup this is what some of the 65+ SR boss rooms feel like if you pull the entire room. No amount of skill or piloting will get you out of it, except it’s worse for CR players as it kicks them out completely where SR has several attempts.

I have tried to counter Mad Queen with 80% life leech resistance. Nothing really happens. It looks like she still leeches the same amount and your char still takes more or less the same damage.

And she is not even the main abuser you want to counter in terms of healing and adtch. Kuba is. And his healing can’t be countered unless you have purely kiting dot build.

i would just like to see some diminishing returns on enemy CC so that every time an enemy spams a CC of the same time its duration is reduced until it reaches a minimum duration. So first stun is 4 seconds, next one is 3.5, 3, 2.5, 2, 1.5 and then it cant get any shorter.

It won’t make much of a difference because even if it’s 0,1 secs, you can get CC locked under certain circustances.

Kuba goes down usually pretty fast unless you have cold damage build only there his healing matters. Mad Queen is worse to kill in SR (not because of lifeech) for me with much larger number of builds than Kuba (really only melee cold builds have problem outDPSing his leech, casters are fine). But it is true that life leech res is a useless mechanic. I would rather see reducing of lifeleech res on enemies instead.

god no don’t give lots of enemies life leech resist, its hard enough surviving with the amount of lifesteal that most melee builds have access to already. If anything i would like to see more life reduction resistance on gear.

I’ve been playing GD before the base game was completed.

One thing that kept me returning is that after every patch, DLC, I had to adapt gear, skills and playstyle. Be that because of a “Feature”, balancing issue or intended change is largly irrevelant to me. There’s the challenge to beat the game and that’s about it for me.

For any game I have only one wish, and that is that it rewards players that can adapt better.

Personally the reason I play GD and similar games is because things seem to be a different each and every time. To me that is desirable, no matter if it is a bug, feature or whatever the dev’s decreed. Predictability is for me a put off in any game. Such games are an instant game over for me after I’ve figured them out.

That I am still playing GD after all these years is for my tastes a good sign that Crate delivered a gem of a game. Is it or will it ever be prefect? Nope. For me no game has to. Don’t know if I ever manage to beat the full game on HC with a pet build. If I ever do, hopefully GD has a worthy successor. So far it has been a lot of fun with a game, that portraits such a grim background.

As to CC as is it’s fine for me. Gotta learn and adapt every time I got caught by it. But yes, some builds are just no good in Crucible. But since even TQ, when were alle builds equal in capability?

2 Likes