Thermite Mine

Let me emphasize this: The only character I have that has Demo mastery as of this post is a Pet Pyromancer. So my views might be skewed a bit.

Anyway, playing an Elemental Pet Conjurer was pretty nice. I do wish that Wind Devils had a longer leash range, but still those buggers follow you around and actively target enemies. You can even direct them to an extent with the pet attack command.

Playing a Pet Deceiver was surprisingly fun. I mean, who doesn’t love Aura of Censure, right? Dmg reduction and -RR in a single passive skill that has a decent AoE? Sign me up plz.

Hell, even using the Guardians for RR on my Pet Oppressor was a pleasant experience. Immortal passive sources of AoE RR was nothing to scoff at.

And then… we come back to Demolitionist.

-40 RR at 16/16, 18 sec duration, 3 mines with a 6 summon limit and with 0sec CD sounded pretty great at first. But the actual mine placement combined with the fact that they are stationary and unlike say “Arcane Bomb”, the debuff only working as long as the enemy is actually stepping on the mines, makes the entire thing super clunky to use if you have to kite.

So, anyway, am I the only one who feels that Mines require a rework? Are they fine for non pet builds in their current state? Or if you feel that they could use a change to make them easier to use, how would you change them?

(P.S. I also don’t like Arcane Bomb as the other T2 devotions like Murmur and Eldritch Fire are instant and spread among enemies, so I am not asking for mines to be changed to working like AB)

1 Like

Yes, you’re alone, as i’m 100% sure no one hated how mines work in the history of hate, maybe ever. :slight_smile: /s

:stuck_out_tongue:

#BuffMines2019

The skill is still one of the clunkiest things I remember using in any game I’ve ever played. While the latest improvements were welcome, the mostly random mine placement kills any sort of reliability or convenience the skill could have.

Have to agree. They’re a skill I stopped using a long time ago way back in early access because they just don’t land the way I want them to. Tried again recently with the changes, but gave up after about 10 minutes.

I don’t like this skill,but doubt someone does :smiley:

The problem is that is not true mine.Mines explode on contact.They should do that and have AoE range from initial target being hit.Just look the fire map in non boss shard SR.

They’re incredibly good using Infernal Knight set. Haven’t tried the cyclone set but assume they should still be ok.

They’re also great for levelling up because first and 2nd act enemies are slow AF and thermite mines starts off strong.

I find they are better on casteresque builds. Because having to resummon mines during your melee/ranged lmb barrage really breaks the flow of combat. But therein lies the problem as 90% of builds are life steal lmb.

I believe they still explode after their time limit expires but can’t be sure as I don’t normally wait that long

Yeah,I don’t like them in melee builds.

Mines maybe are strong early on,but they’re located fairly late in Demo skill tree,which undermines them:D

As for exploding,my thought was to do as soon enemies steps on them and act as shotgun skill.

This is of course correct, but it’s been suggested many times and it’s never had any result. Feels like talking to a wall.

I think you should actually look up what type of mines were made before going on about what is or isn’t a “true mine”.

As for the skill itself I think the resistance reduction should be over a duration matching up with the burn duration which would give it far more leeway. Perhaps increase the burn/rr duration to 3 seconds.

Sure, before the 20th century land mine, which everyone is probably thinking of there were other meanings. However, they were all explosives, flame throwers were invented in WW1 :wink:

Those are one of the things that get buffed from time to time, and are still crap.
Some of the issues they have are:

• long time between cast and being useful
  • random placement
  • inconvenient placement pattern (line)
  • they bounce off mobs when you throw them
  • they are static, which means useless for kiting builds
  • they are not point-effective after 10th point even if you manage to utilize them (at least rr-wise)

I’ve just leveled a grenado purifier, and I noticed I used them ~ once per hour of playing on average during leveling. Now that I’m 94 and have all the toys, I do this:

1. throw mines
  2. throw canister
  3. throw grenado
  4. repeat

And guess what… by the time mines activate everything trash is dead already, and regular heroes are almost done. Now I need to either
a) lure them onto one of the mines (probably by standing right next to it and facetanking) and then finish with whatever skills I have (takes 3sec+)
b) forget about those useless mines and just throw canisters/grenados until everything dies (takes 1sec)
Guess which route I go…

I’m yet to face any of the big boys. Probably I’d use them against something like Kupa cause he’s huge, but only while blast shield is up. So, once again, usable like once per hour. Or maybe crucible of the dead, where you’d probably drop them randomly around you and just stand there and cast stuff hoping somebody steps on them.

Idea of placing them in triangles was voiced a thousand times, but apparently they would be sooo OP then…
Too many issues with them.

I am tired of complaining about it and decided to not use it at all…

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

He means they did explode upon resummoning on a long forgotten patch. Except the end result was people used thermite mines like quick jacks.

Similarly I posted a vid killing Loghorrean with just thermite mines on a long forgotten patch. Back then large enemies took damage from all mines instead of just 1.

If something is too OP it’s removed. Clearly the devs want it to be a debuff solely. Unfortunately the best debuffs apply without lifting a finger eg censure.

Flame Mines were indeed a thing in which case 1 example was a buried static flame thrower that could be triggered on command or via trip wire.

As there are many types of mines I think it rather foolish to disregard the design that Thermite Mines displays. As for what was invented when I should remind you that in Cairn we do see some sort of primitive tank - something that was invented late WW1.

But sure. Let us compare Grim Dawn’s world to real life. I’m sure that will lead us to many logical conclusions :wink:

For some bizarre reason Zantai doesn’t want to make my dream come true and return Thermite’s Mine’s on-death skill

Clearly he just hates fun and Demolitionist.

Ok, damn that on death explosion thing looks cool. Sad that it got removed :frowning:

I also like the idea of RR having the same duration as the Burn effect and increasing it a bit. Or making the skill work like the mines from SR level and actually explode, with a duration of RR ofcourse.

Please make Mines great again, Zantai.

I’d post the no fun allowed pic, but boosting the thermite mine debuff duration to 4-5s would be the minimum needed to make it good for the class.

I know the community has repeatedly asked for the clunky placement to be dealt with but we’ve started seeing some buffs in FG. I imagine that Crate is not finished with thermite mines either (who would think TM is a polished skill anyway???).