Things you think you are the only one doing

I name my characters after characters from other games. A dual wield pistol character I had was named “Salvador.” Come to think of it, several of my characters are named after Borderlands vault hunters.

1 Like

I am doing that a lot across games, too. I have a pitiful imagination for character names.
And since I started writing fantasy, I’m using names from the story as well.

1 Like

i have not transmogged 1 item ever in thousands of hours lol

1 Like

Reading the replies mentioning having issues coming up with good names I got bored and decided to start making a “naming” script. All I have left to do is fill it up with lots of names.

All you need to do is press a hotkey and it will clear the previous name (on the character creation screen in-game) and randomly choose another from the list and pastes it into name field. If there is any interest let me know and I’ll create a thread for it in the Utilities subforum.

Note: I’m currently grabbing names from here:

I’ll probably make two separate hotkeys. One for male names, the other female.

1 Like

Nice! Though I don’t create enough characters to motivate automating the naming process. I am pretty sure that you are indeed the only one who thought to create a script for this.

1 Like

I did create the tool here, for any interested:

[TOOL] GD Renamer - A name randomizer for character creation

1 Like

One thing I think is pretty unique is how I name my characters.
Usually I’m not very good at coming up with names but I found a way that is fun to me and helps me remembering who is who in my evergrowing roster of builds (currently over 40) without giving them boring names.
I always name them after artists, songs, albums or even only snippets of lyrics that I’m listening to at the time of creating the character. Often that method results in silly names like Stoned Mullet or Plinkyplonk, but also (imho) fitting names like Kaguya Hime or Clavicula Nox. My latest toon is called Funk Soul Brother :wink:

3 Likes

Most ridiculous thing I do is save the paranoid man in Malmouth along with the 2 kids he’s protecting. If the game gives me the kill route I’ll restart until I get the save route. Longest chain of restarts was 14.

6 Likes

Sometimes he behaves differently when you keep answering the same text, doesn’t he?

1 Like

Yes I believe it’s random, but one dialogue option (“You’re crazy”) always leads to his demise. I always chose that option because after over 100 playthrus I can’t be bothered to save him anymore. But respect to @Zanthador64 for trying to save him everytime :slight_smile:

Yeah, after the first time the 2 kids looked at me heartbroken when I had to put him down I can’t bear to do it again. Took me some time to realize that whether he’s saveable or not was dependent on the game session rather than exactly what you said (leaving out the “You’re crazy” line of course).

The game decides on loading whether he’s saveable that time or not. If you pick the top text line each time it’ll save him if possible but if the game decides he isn’t saveable then he’ll turn resolute and start summoning the courage to attack you. Once I see that I move away, ESC and exit game. Just have to look for him pausing with a “…” in the last couple of text boxes and that’ll mean he’s saveable.

3 Likes

I never knew multiple options exist. Every time I have done that quest, I got the kill option. Is the kill option more common?

Recently I decided to delete almost every single damage type build and to keep the more exotic Dual/Tri Damage builds I have. Single damage builds were not deleted if they are my own builds posted on the forum. Personally, I think this makes character building much more interesting! :sunglasses:

Of note, you don’t need as high of a Damage % (~2000%+ of each type) and can let some RR slide, but you oftentimes need to get creative with conversions on items to get the end result you’re looking for.

2 Likes

I used to think this as well but after leveling close to 100 characters all the way through Ultimate so doing this AT LEAST 300 times (not counting HC death characters that made it partially through) I have an anecdotal ‘hunch’ about this.

I seem to get a very good chance to be able to save the kids when I basically clear the area out of any enemies. Of the last 9 times I’ve done this only once have I failed to be able to save the kids. Maybe I missed an enemy that might be too close in proximity. But something about his dialogue that he’s on edge and hair trigger makes me think this may be keyed into his ‘threat’ range for enemies.

This is highly anecdotal obviously but I have been able to get pretty repeatable results by trying to clear everything out one screen to the left and right of the room as well as below it left and right.

1 Like

On another note, getting back to leveling characters again (I archived all my other characters except 3) I’ve noticed one funny little quirk I do. If I have to go back to an area, for instance the Blood Grove, where some of my faction choice followers are hanging out, I feel absolutely compelled to help them if they’re being attacked and help to clear the area around them. Gains me nothing I realize but I’m like 'Got your back!"

1 Like

Yup, just observational bias at work. Z said when AoM came out (either in a livesteam or on the forums) that the quest result is determined when loading the game.

Well I feel damn good about my track record in saving those little rug rats, so I’m good with it. :smiley:

I’ve saved them every time so far, but I won’t this time through with my Defiler.

I’ll let the Scales of Ulcama determine their Fate!! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Whenever I play a fire character and Kymon´s Chosen are my enemies, I think to myself “Be purged by flame, har har haaar”, when I fight them.

1 Like

I’ve got this strange/perfectionist habit to always complete devotion and never to only take some parts of the devotion nodes even if it will definitely buff me. For example, if I have 1 spare devotion left, I choose to take the green crossroad node instead of the first node of Blind Sage despite it has a greater bonus. Whenever I see an incomplete devotion my mind always going “OMG INCOMPLETE DEVOTION! 10/10 UNPLAYABLE!” and proceeds to twink that devotion path to avoid having incomplete devotion although doing so will reduce the build potential.

2 Likes