Things you think you are the only one doing

Why exactly do you do that? Only because of Grava or something else?

Lol, me too. I spend so much iron and time on them, its crazy.

I think the same, but about Malmouth, i even like SoT

1 Like

The main reason is to warmup.

I do the same in Counter Strike. I play a deathmatch map before going to competitive. I think Mourndale is my deathmatch in GD :rofl:

I kinda feel Iā€™m the only one that grows bored of characters by level 50-60.

Leveling grinds to a halt, you start getting fewer points to spend, and all of the gear is designed for level 94+. Itā€™s such a slow, boring grind that I literally have over 100 characters in the 40-60 range, and ONE character over level 90.

Iā€™d pay big money for a mod that gets you to level 90 in the first play through, with enemy levels adjusted to match. Three difficulty levels is just boring tedium that drags out a game that really doesnā€™t need it, considering the shear breadth of build diversity.

2 Likes

Something like e.g. ā€œshortā€ (x1) or ā€œlongā€ (3x) campaign to choose? Would be nice yea. Well, there are those merits which kinda shorten the way up, but i dont like to cut off ANY area. Thats why i have ā€œonlyā€ 6 chars, which is more then enough if you ALWAYS like me do a full playtrough. Even too much for me atm.

PoE was this way but now they have enought content to do a single playthrough. Maybe GD with one more expansion could do that too :slight_smile:

Personally, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve EVER used any full sets. I always just prefer mix-matching legendaries with good rolled MIs. Most set items feel weak compared to legendaries and the set bonuses never convince me to use the actual set.

I may also be the only one who fought and defeated a super boss with it taking more than a whole in-game day. Did you know that enemies get healed once a full in-game day passes?

-Full story-
I fought Callagadra with my retaliation Warlord back when FG released. I was running around in circles constantly, waiting for the gap in his skills which would shred me and my defensive cooldowns for small windows of when I could attack him and slowly chip him down. And then, when he was near death, I had to do it all over again. Why? Because it turns out, that enemies restore their health to full once a full in-game day passes. So Callagadra at like 2% health suddenly got fully healed and thus began round 2. This time I was a little more bold with my attacks and managed to bring him down before another day passed. Hundreds of Healing Tonics, several marathons ran in circles and hours of real time later, I finally claimed my prize - the pre-nerf Callagadraā€™s Visage.

You are not. I usually have a hard time going past that level range too. The build is usually mostly online by then and the reduced skill point gain really kicks the drive to progress down a notch. But I usually stick with it until 90 at least.

But to play a character after reaching 90, I REALLY have to like the build. I absolutely hate the non-rewarding level ups past 90. From 94 on, it just makes you weaker due to scaling enemies. 1 skill point per level is simply not good enough. We have 3 points from 1-50, why not keep it consistent and have 2 from 51-100?

By far my biggest gripe with Grim Dawn. I have probably over a thousand hours in GD, but I have exactly 2 characters at 100. It will soon probably expand to 3 as I am currently having fun with a fire Shieldbreaker. Sitting at 97, will push to 100 today.

1 Like

That was quite exiting to read. I am at 1200 hours and still didnt face Calla.

Ever since I started playin WoW 10+ years ago, I am an inventory management freak. I have elaborate system of where things should go in the inventory/stash, whther thatā€™s WoW, D3, or now Grim Dawn.
There was a few times when I accidentally clicked ā€˜auto sortā€™ instead of ā€˜transferā€™ and my precious component sorting system went out of the window - and I had to spend 5+ minutes recreating it.

I only use left mouse button in inventory or to pick up items - not for skills or movement. For skills I use 1,2,3ā€¦ keys assigned to quick bar while for movement - ā€œforce moveā€ on right mouse button.

Why do I do that? Initially to avoid wearing out the left mouse button as Iā€™ve already repaired it twice.
But now I grew fond of this setup and live happy without ambiguous nature of left click.

2 Likes

I use a script so that I auto-run without pressing anything. Holding down LMB through the whole playtime is sooo annoying.

2 Likes
  1. My most used quickbutton is Map button - I have it assigned to the mouse side button and open the map every time I need to move anywhere. Even when farming the same location many many times in a row and having fully memorised it, I still double check the map all the time to make sure I havenā€™t missed anything and the map is fully explored.
  2. Naming characters is too hard for me, so I name them by their profession and a number. E.g. my first character was named ā€œMage 1ā€, second one is ā€œPet Hybrid 1ā€, and so on.
  3. I use mules (instead of commonly used software for item keeping).
  4. I use the second side button on a mouse with a macro that repeatedly presses the ā€œpick itemā€ button ~3 times a second while holding it to pick all the loot.
3 Likes
  1. I do about the same with map. I am always going for full playthrough, so i need to look everywhere constantly.
  2. Naming chars is easy, just open a book about history or fairy tale or legend and you find plenty of names with a story attached to it. From Merlin to Arthus or from Dagobert to Cu Cullain.
    I went for lot of King names of germanic tribes, like Ariovist, Marbod, Alboin etc
  3. Mules i like too and got 7 of em.

Pretty sure I really am the only one doing this:

1. Base game only (plus Crucible), patch 1.0.7.1 (current at the time I stopped playing, ~18 months ago). Not sure about updating; I figured patches would mostly affect Malmouth and FG stuff, but reading through the patch notes there does seem to be a lot touching the base game too. On the other hand my first impression was ā€œHoly power creep, Batman!ā€ Lots of buffs to player characters, but also a rebalancing so the base game matches the AoM difficulty; I have no way to tell if one of those boosts outweighs the other. And the game Iā€™m playing isnā€™t broken so Iā€™m in no hurry to fix it. :slight_smile: Iā€™ll get around to worrying about current patch versions whenever I get AoM. Only one of my characters is at 85 yet and none of them have particularly good gear, so thereā€™s still plenty for me to do.
  2. I have almost nothing to do with Kymonā€™s Chosen, since I strongly dislike religious extremists. Necromancers, eh, sure, they donā€™t actually exist IRL so Iā€™m OK with the Order of Deathā€™s Vigil. And Iā€™ve always thought ā€œNecromancy = Always Chaotic Evilā€ was pretty simplistic in RPGs. My fire character did sign on with Kymon, though I canā€™t remember what it was I felt I couldnā€™t pass up.

Re: previous items in this thread:

1. Never done Port Valbury, never will. I hate aether-ground, and the general mechanic of ground you take damage from walking on - obvious solution = donā€™t go there! :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. I donā€™t use the stash tool, just make do with in game storage and bag space. That (barely) works. And is another reason Iā€™m in no hurry to get AoM; if I can get everyone to 85 or close to it, a lot of leveling gear can go away to leave space for Mythical Whatevers.
  3. Character names: alliteration based on their class. Warren the Warder, Billy the Blademaster, Sabrina the Spellbreaker, Conrad the Conjurer, etc. Proper heroic names, all! :slight_smile: I play one character per damage type; aether is reserved for AoM (Sebastian the future Spellbinder exists as a level 1 mule for now).
3 Likes

I like that idea. Worblehat the Warlord

I do this too. Although i had 2 cold damage builds at one time but then i turned my Blademaster into pierce, because Infiltrator was my new King of cold.

Something i just today figured out i was doing wrong in SR is having my Camera locked with North upā€¦ HUGE mistake since it will always pull ALL the bosses in the boss room.

I wondered why on earth every video i seen of people doing SR they could pull one boss at a time but i always pulled everything. Its a wonder i made it all the way to SR65 playing like thatā€¦ After figuring that part out i can farm up to 75 and my build isnā€™t even finished yet. It also explains why multiple guides ive seen from people say ā€œI play SR with the Camera facing AWAY from the enemiesā€

1 Like
  1. The first lvl 100 Iā€™ve got only after playing the game since release of ACT 2. Idk even how many years did past after a release (idk 500 hours maybe).
  2. I like to do builds and never finish it, because MOAR LOOT (MI and other interesting legendaries)
  3. I like to make an RP character with a history, because I know what build I want and it plays more interesting
  4. I was using GD Stash frequently, but every time after using it in one week, Iā€™ve always started to use cheats. And after that deleting my char and all what I had, because I couldnā€™t remember did Iā€™ve got that item before cheating or after.
  5. I donā€™t store my items outside of GD, but hate creating chars just to keep loot. So, I am thinking how to fill stash for hours.
  6. I donā€™t keep items if they are not legendaries and not from the set, because stash is little.

Cool story that describes my ā€œovermindā€. I just got my first lvl 100 and only one on Ultimate. I was playing with my SS Witch Cold build, but then wanted to try out an Acid. Iā€™ve changed Devotion, but run out of bits on skill tree. Took all my iron bricks, exchanged them and finished a new acid skill tree. Seems regular, but when I opened my stashā€¦ I didnā€™t have anything for acid, because

> 6. I donā€™t keep items if they are not legendaries and not from the set, because stash is little.

I spent all day to figure out how to fix that situation, and on the rest of my bits I bought equip from factions (yes, green and blue) just to fix a problem with resists. But not all, because Iā€™ve run out of Ugdenblooms :grimacing:

P.S.: I made it work, so, Iā€™m fine.

1 Like

Alright, so some of these others have mentioned already, some of these are gonna make you laugh, cry, or hurl at high speeds and volumes. But here goes. Gives you a little peek as to why I complain about certain things nobody else complains about XD

1. I despise centering multiple characters around the same skills. Iā€™ve grown to accept that some overlap is needed, so I wonā€™t tear my hair out when multiple Inquisitors use the Seal, but I have a great dislike for rehashing a large portion of a build. Also, if a game is well balanced and designed, I try to make use of every skill in a tree at least a little bit (didnā€™t apply to D2 for instance, where most skills were shit). This sometimes straight up kneecaps some of my characters. I realised after the change to Aura of Conviction that I didnā€™t have a character that wants to use it. My eye started twitching. I had a Tri-Elemental Gunslinger Mage Hunter that originally used the skill before it was changed. Worked OK. Then I realised the character was like 80 % identical in playstyle, skills and devotion choices to my Ranged Discord Cadence Battlemage. That wouldnā€™t do. Sheā€™s going to use Aura of Conviction, sheā€™s going to be Pierce-focused, and sheā€™s gonna like it! Now my Mage Hunter is an Infiltrator. Sheā€™s about 40 % as effective. But hey, my soul can rest knowing sheā€™s different, sheā€™s speshul now.

2. I always complete each difficulty fully. Explore everything, complete every quest, sniff all the glue, lick all the windows. The usual.

3. In any game where I have a choice of gender, I always make an even number of characters to have the same number of each gender. Recently I decided to complete my collection of characters so that I have at least 1 of every mastery combination. After counting my existing characters, I realised I had 11 class combinations to go. But thatā€™d mean Iā€™d have an odd number of characters. So Iā€™d have to make up a 12th one. And I was coming up short with what other builds I was interested in. The thought wouldnā€™t leave my head for 2 days. Then I fortunately made the above-mentioned switch from Mage Hunter to Infiltrator and my missing class combos went down to 10. Nice even number. Phew!

4. Brace yourself for this one. I always level all my characters simultaneously. As in, I beat Veteran with one character, lay that character aside, then beat Veteran with the next one, until Iā€™ve beaten that difficulty with every character I have planned. Then I go back to the top for Elite, do the same thing again. Guess why I have so much to say about Eliteā€™s difficulty curve and why I havenā€™t even started Ultimate yet after almost 2k hours of play :wink: Granted, some things throw that in disarray. I was already finishing Elite with several characters by the time AoM came out and led me to create a bunch of new characters and same with FG. I am currently very close to finishing up all my existing characters on Elite (only 3 chars left!), except since Iā€™ve recently decided to complete all class combinations, I still have 10 characters that I havenā€™t even created. So Ultimate will have to wait until Iā€™ve levelled those 10 characters through both difficulties. Explains why it took me several thousand hours before I found out D3 has nothing to offer after the levelling experience :smiley:

3 Likes

Political Correctness. Just kidding

I am amazed that someone does this too. I did this also with my first 3 builds.
My thought about playing simultaneously was: Well, more loot for the same level and the fact that by then i know the map as it is my pocket.

2 Likes

Exactly. Iā€™ve never, ever had to mule, because I only ever get loot for the current and the start of next difficulty by playing this way. As I play my characters that loot gradually gets distributed between them so it doesnā€™t pile up outside of the shared stash.

It also provides me a better gauge of my charactersā€™ power curves and power levels, gives me a benchmark, so to say, because all of them are at an even playing field and I have it fresh in my memory how they were doing at that difficulty compared to the character Iā€™m playing now. So I know which ones need improving, which ones I can easily send through the next difficulty first etc. it gives all the characters a fairer chance, since none of them have to be the first to go naked through Veteran, Elite and Ultimate, while other characters would then have an easy time with the gear the first poor sod had to gather for them. I love comparing characters and measuring them against one another and this playstyle just makes that so much easier for me aside from all the other benefits I mentioned like loot space.

1 Like

I name my characters after characters from other games. A dual wield pistol character I had was named ā€œSalvador.ā€ Come to think of it, several of my characters are named after Borderlands vault hunters.

1 Like