Tips I Wish I Knew Before Playing

I do not see any such type of defence on those items. I am, however, intrigued.

https://www.grimtools.com/db/search?query=alkamos&in_description=1&exact_match=0 Alkamos items.

https://www.grimtools.com/db/search?query=stormtitan&in_description=1&exact_match=0 Stormtitan boots.

That was with regards to DA stacking homie.

(2) Set
+3 to Phantasmal Armor
+3 to Elemental Awakening
Granted Skills
Dreadfire (25% Chance on Critical Attack)
A ring of spectral flame expands around you, crippling your foes.
2 Second Skill Recharge
6 Second Duration
3 Meter Radius
112 Cold Damage
6% Reduction to Enemy’s Health
170 Frostburn Damage over 2 Seconds
12% Reduced target’s Damage for 2 Seconds

It is a little tuck away, ain’t it?

:slight_smile:

EDIT: Same with the stormtitans proc.

I’m sorry for my oversight, it is indeed quite tucked away. Thank you for the clarification (I mislooked this feature, as I searched for absorption). The proc even has a nice little radius.
Should the damage of these rings not be of your type in the build you are using. How much (% total HP/total attack damage, and, or ADCtH etc.) would you be willing to sacrifice for this proc? I figure this is a very case by case basis.
Let’s just assume the most standard of melee builds in whatever with 2800 in OA and DA, 15k hp, 2k armor, 120k dps, and capped resist. Nothing really “missing”, just not anything particularly strong. Would 10% of the dps and HP and -100 to the OA, and DA be an alright trade for this proc?

Kind regards from Zoppy

LOL. What are you apologizing for! :slight_smile:

I’ve done far more stupid things.

And yes. Ideally the rings SHOULD be of your damage type. They are almost always BiS for cold builds.

As for the stormtitans, I find that they are actually very versatile. Massive HP boost, stun resist, poison resist, and 10% damage reduction?

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

By the way, damage reduction is different from damage absorption, with the latter being way less effective.

Would 10% of the dps and HP and -100 to the OA, and DA be an alright trade for this proc?

My response would be:

The advice I give all new players: GD is a game of balance. You need to kill fast enough to not get killed, and stay alive long enough to kill.

How quickly are you killing nems? How quickly are you dying? Can you AFFORD to give up your DPS? In a game where you can get spiked hard as hell, I personally tend to build my toons in a way which minimizes the amount of damage I actually take, and not focus on trying to recover from damage already taken.

Damage reduction, dodge, fumble, DA are great ways to go about doing that.

But so is DPS - the faster you kill things, the less they hurt you. This is more or less what big bad Fluff does with his builds.

All in all, it boils down to the question of balance, and playstyle preference. In addition, you also need to ask yourself what is the opportunity cost (if that’s the right term?) for using the alkamos rings.

In essence, what other rings am I denying myself from using? Possibly resist reduction (and that’s HUGE for DPS), damage conversion, etc. etc.

For example, a pierce blademaster would NOT want those rings as the conversion from pierce to cold would kill it.

Sorry I can’t give a more concrete answer!

Thanks for the tips

Hello guys, It’s me, OP, and I’m still here!
I wants to thank you all guys maintaining the thread and making all these added tips, discussions, and answers. Very neat effort here!

New expansion is coming in a month or so. With its success, there will be more new players coming to Grim Dawn (Which is great!), If expansion change some vanilla game mechanics, I’ll should update OP. Otherwise, it’s still fully viable in current version I believe.

thank you. following this since i just started :smiley:

Thanks very much for this excellent guide. This helps out a lot with some things I’ve always struggled with in this game.

Super useful guide, great post! Has helped me out greatly

There was an earlier post about greens having the potential to be better than purple… took me quite awhile to have a better idea which greens to keep - stats to look out for are :
skill modifiers (recharge reduction, extended duration)
damage conversion (e.g. physical to vitality damage etc)
common crafting items like troll bonecrushers, spectral longswords or Salazar’s sovereign blade etc. It’s a pain to go farm for them when u wanted to craft some items straight.

You can buy troll bonecrusher and spectral longswords from the secret vendor in hyram.

Affixes to look out for on green items are also the green-tier defensive ones like stonehide, thunderstruck, of kings, etc.

When it comes to double Rare MI’s - they only exist in Theorycrafted or GDstashed builds.
If you rely on Rare MI to fix some resistances/holes in build - select one affix and if you get a second one that is usefull, it’s just a cherry on top.

This looks helpful, thanks.

Great info (especially the end-game section).
Big thanks! :slight_smile: