[Tool] Core Switcher - Force GD to use all cores equally!

I got this:

The one i should use is “/usr/bin/wine /home/htc/Games/Grim Dawn/drive_c/GOG Games/Grim Dawn”, or just “/usr/bin/wine” (minus the “” on the 2nd one)?

Also: where do i place the Grim Internal files? In the game’s installed folder?

Unsure if it’s supposed to be there or @ /usr/bin folder.

then 'd recommend just using the command “lutris rungame/grim-dawn”.

so you don’t have to care about environment variables like wine prefix, dxvk, and many other settings. this can be still under control of the user, where it belongs, imho.

Ah… you must have installed a different runner than I did. Your log is alot cleaner than mine :slight_smile:

The reason you don’t see the .local folder in your home directory is probably because you need to toggle hidden folders to visible - folder names with a period preceding them, like .local, are hidden folders.

My path: /home/powbam/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-5.6-2-x86_64/bin/wine

Note where it says lutris-5.6-2-x86_64 in my path. Now look here:

Basically, make hidden folders visible in your file browsers settings then follow my same path but look for whatever version of Wine the games options says you are using. I do wish they would just give you the path right there in the game options for it since it is kind of a hassle.

Yup.

1 Like

That won’t work if you want to keep them separated. The Lutris ID is only going to point at whatever you have currently set as the executable. It can’t be more than one thing. Unless you know something I don’t know.

so you mean when testing for GrimInternals64.exe and Grim Dawn.exe? No there’s no other way i know, i referred to that…:

… which i understood as you want to make the coreswitcher-app launch the game, in the same way as the script does

Ah :wink: not “core switcher”, my other other Switcher app…

Basically it’s a launcher - you can toggle dx9/11, x86/x64, disable the expansions, launch with GrimInternals etc. My plans are to eventually have it also be a mod/save file manager as well.

damn how many do you have? :smiley:

Not enough, he’s currently making a “pants switcher” app to automatically change his pants when he soils himself.

2 Likes

Lol. well… That’s actually my old version… I have a different one that that will replace it eventually.

I also have “Menu Switcher” here:

GlockenGerda made us a mod that lets us change the FG menu to AoM or Vanilla menu so I made a tool that lets you rotate them at will, or randomize them on launch.

Note: the fire on the AoM logo. That’s FG fire - but AoM background Menu…

Pretty sweet.

1 Like

Next you’ll make Switcher switcher to run all switchers from single switcher.

1 Like

tenor

Mine too, cpu just switches cores, makes no effort to share the load what so ever…

So I did notice that it stops CPU 0 from being a block of constant 100 usage. It isn’t a big improvement though, but it probably averages 92-95% instead of a solid 100%

I mentioned in the Discord chat the testing I did with my wife’s hyper-threaded laptop i7-6700HQ and the results but I’ll mention here that I got the best results (haven’t extensively tested yet) by doing the “every other core” trick on it. It actually went on to each of the cores fairly evenly.

I also tested turning off hyper-threading in the BIOS, which brought it down to 4 cores. Default activity was surprisingly showing on all cores not too badly spread out - once I toggled Core 0 off/on it spread out much better on all the cores.

Oh, and Valinov - looks here like there IS a 9900k user that it works with:

Which makes it even more puzzling. What’s the difference on your end then I wonder?

I will mention here for anyone reading that I am working on a couple new hotkeys for the tool to do the “every other core” trick for people that might want to test a different method if the Core 0 toggle trick isn’t working.

One hotkey will toggle every other core OFF starting with Core 0. So Cores 1,3,5 and so on will be active.

The other hotkey does the opposite toggling OFF every other core starting with Core 1. So Cores 0,2,4 and so on will be active.

And since these 2 games share common heritage and performance behavior I am also adding in support in the tool for TQAE as well.

I thought she removed that in her latest release. At least I don’t have burning Malmouth anymore.

Dunno. I’ll have to check and redownload and see if maybe I grabbed a version before that point.

Can’t seem to locate that option …

This worked for me: didn’t crash so i didn’t need to mess around with INI file.

Had no idea it worked like that, effectively replacing Grim Dawn’s executable by GrimInternals.

Thanks a lot to both of you.

1 Like

Well if you ever want to know how…

https://itsfoss.com/hide-folders-and-show-hidden-files-in-ubuntu-beginner-trick/

Yea :smile: I like to take people the hard way (sometimes) :wink: Firm believer in learning - and Linux in general has an innate learning curve, tho that’s been drastically reduced the past decade.

I’ve been a Linux fiddler for a long-time now but I have yet to go fully over yet. The improvements on the gaming end of things certainly helps now (Valve gets a big shout-out for being instrumental to that).

It was right in front of me …

That’s a good thing because i switched to Linux with literally ZERO experience with it: to put it in perspective, i must have formatted like 10 times minimum in my “1st linux week” alone because i somehow “broke the install” and i couldn’t fix it myself …

ah yes. I know how that story goes well :wink: The good news tho is that most Linux installations are pretty darned fast, especially in comparison to Windows. Tho Windows 10 actually installs fairly quickly nowadays. I can usually have it installed in about 20 mins - doing updates after the install tho… depending on what needs to update that can extend the time. Updating a Linux distro is a bit quicker to do after install.

I started - I think (been along time) - where you’re at now. Ubuntu/Linux Mint - I rocked Mint mostly for a good while and then I really started exploring. Eventually I landed on Manjaro. It has some quirks but overall it’s a super-smooth, beautifully done rolling release distro.

It took a while but it’s pretty much my “main” now when it comes to Linux and I don’t expect I’ll be changing that anymore.

If you ever get the distro-hopping bug give it a shot sometime.
https://manjaro.org/