[Tool] Core Switcher - Force GD to use all cores equally!

Does it enable cpu0 when it shuts the others off?

My bad I did it backwards (in my code I mean)ā€¦ here it is correct.
windows_core_switcher.zip (524.4 KB)

The first hotkey Ctrl+Alt+[ does enable Core 0 and then disables every other core starting with Core 1.
Cores 0,2,4 and so on should be active.

The second hotkey Ctrl+Alt+] is the opposite - disabling every other core starting with Core 0.
Cores 1,3,5 and so on should be active.

Thanks Iā€™ll give it a shot on Saturday or Sunday when Iā€™m back home

1 Like

Iā€™m waiting for a hotkey to disable all cores and stop the PC dead. :smiley:

1 Like

That would beā€¦ interesting. :alien:

Correct you were - I had been still using Glockens original versions and using those instead uncovered a flaw in my Menu Switcher that @StrUktO had previously noticed and at the time I thought it was something he had been doing wrong and not the program :smile: Sorry about that Strukto - the program defaulting to the Vanilla button on program start is now fixed! The reason it wasnā€™t happening for me is because my Glocken files were different to yours (and presumably most everyone else who downloaded her revised ones).

actually the problem didnā€™t occur for me after reinstalling like you said, so I was still under the assumption that I had clicked the buttons too muchā€¦
glad to see that it has been fixed!

Interesting. Once I redownloaded Glockenā€™s ā€œnewerā€ files Vanilla defaulting started happening to me. Perhaps you too had/have Glockenā€™s older files and your issue was indeed related to the ā€œclick too muchā€ issue. Does your AoM have FG fire/flames on it? If so, thatā€™s the older version and she modified it after that point.

Either way, you might still want the new Menu Switcher since I updated the program for it (and Glockenā€™s modified files) :smile: Or if you do have both older ones I guess you could keep right on using them if you like as well.

Hi Powbam! Someone at the Grim Dawn discord channel referred me to you in regards to an issue I have. So the scenario goes like this: I launch the game and everything is fine when you are at the menu screen. But when you launch your game after choosing your character, the sound disappears and the FPS begins to ā€œstutterā€ like crazy. I checked the solution that you provided and attempted to try it, and what is interesting is after disabling Core 0 temporarily, the resources just instead moves on to another random Core and stays there until you disable that one and repeats itself. Prior to getting to the loading screen, all cores are equally distributed. I am using a Ryzen 7 2700x for my CPU. Any insight on what is specifically causing this behavior with the cores?

I see in the Discord that they mentioned to you about Nahimic and such software. From your description here my first thought would be that that is where you should start looking first before worrying about what my Core Switcher here does.

Keep in mind that it isnā€™t only Nahimic that can tank your FPS, you might have ASUS Sonic or Alienware SoundCenter etcā€¦ basically any pre-packaged audio management software seems to be prone to such behavior for some reason. Anything on your system like this that comes to mind for you? I see you mention the Realtek one - I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve ever seen any reports that specifically found the Realtek one to cause issues yet but you could perhaps see if anything changes by shutting it down/disabling it.

Pretty much any audio management software does not exist in my system. Had to get rid of Nahemic about 2 months ago since it was causing issue with games on my Origin client. So basically just using purely the realtek audio drivers.

Though if this problem is something else aside from the cores, then iā€™ll have to look at it from a different angle. Thanks for the quick response though!

What is your FPS at when you log in? You say it stutters like crazyā€¦ but how crazy is what Iā€™d like to know? If you are getting less than 10 fps then I can almost guarantee you that the problem is audio related.

At the menu screen about 140 fps. When in the game itself, about 1 to 7 fpsā€¦

Definitely an audio issue then. Try reinstalling your audio drivers and/or updating them.

Download the 321MB pack from this link here:
https://codecpack.co/download/realtek-audio-drivers.html

Itā€™s what I use to update Realtek drivers on the other comps in my house. It should be the most recent one.

So did a clean install on the realtek driver with the link you provided. Still causing the issue unfortunatelyā€¦

Mmm. Was just a thought to try anyway. All I can tell you is that your issue is identical - to the letter - of every single person that had Nahimic/Asus Sonic issues. Whatever is going on is going to be something to do with the audio itself. I suggest going thru Task Manager and looking for anything that hints at possibly being the culprit - then shut it down and try again until you find your sourceā€¦

Ryzen 7 2700X and Iā€™m finding myself playing whack a mole on the 16 cores. Turning off core 0 jumps it to 2 and there it stays when 0 is reenabled, so on and so forth. I am not having FPS issues generally, was curious to try out this utility but this seems to be one of the joys of technology.

1 Like

Yours sounds pretty similar in behavior to Valinovā€™s above.

I did make him a custom one that will work with yours that shuts off every other core instead that youā€™re welcome to try if you want, here, to see if it has any positive affects.

This just kicks the maxed out core around like I saw when I tried playing whack a mole on the cores. One interesting thing to note is that GD maxes out core 0 when it is in focus, however when I tab to something else the load gets picked up by another random cor. Switching back to GD in focus will return the load to core 0.

What do you have the background fps slider in game set to? I always have it all the way to the left. When I tab out the game ā€œstopsā€ (effectively pauses) and all core activity ends (mostly).

I imagine that whatā€™s happening tho is that when youā€™re tabbing out Windows is de-elevating the priority it had assigned to GD and thus moving it to another core, out of the way of the current tasks/processes it is focusing on now as a result of you tabbing out.