[Tool] Core Switcher - Force GD to use all cores equally!

Pretty much any audio management software does not exist in my system. Had to get rid of Nahemic about 2 months ago since it was causing issue with games on my Origin client. So basically just using purely the realtek audio drivers.

Though if this problem is something else aside from the cores, then i’ll have to look at it from a different angle. Thanks for the quick response though!

What is your FPS at when you log in? You say it stutters like crazy… but how crazy is what I’d like to know? If you are getting less than 10 fps then I can almost guarantee you that the problem is audio related.

At the menu screen about 140 fps. When in the game itself, about 1 to 7 fps…

Definitely an audio issue then. Try reinstalling your audio drivers and/or updating them.

Download the 321MB pack from this link here:
https://codecpack.co/download/realtek-audio-drivers.html

It’s what I use to update Realtek drivers on the other comps in my house. It should be the most recent one.

So did a clean install on the realtek driver with the link you provided. Still causing the issue unfortunately…

Mmm. Was just a thought to try anyway. All I can tell you is that your issue is identical - to the letter - of every single person that had Nahimic/Asus Sonic issues. Whatever is going on is going to be something to do with the audio itself. I suggest going thru Task Manager and looking for anything that hints at possibly being the culprit - then shut it down and try again until you find your source…

Ryzen 7 2700X and I’m finding myself playing whack a mole on the 16 cores. Turning off core 0 jumps it to 2 and there it stays when 0 is reenabled, so on and so forth. I am not having FPS issues generally, was curious to try out this utility but this seems to be one of the joys of technology.

1 Like

Yours sounds pretty similar in behavior to Valinov’s above.

I did make him a custom one that will work with yours that shuts off every other core instead that you’re welcome to try if you want, here, to see if it has any positive affects.

This just kicks the maxed out core around like I saw when I tried playing whack a mole on the cores. One interesting thing to note is that GD maxes out core 0 when it is in focus, however when I tab to something else the load gets picked up by another random cor. Switching back to GD in focus will return the load to core 0.

What do you have the background fps slider in game set to? I always have it all the way to the left. When I tab out the game “stops” (effectively pauses) and all core activity ends (mostly).

I imagine that what’s happening tho is that when you’re tabbing out Windows is de-elevating the priority it had assigned to GD and thus moving it to another core, out of the way of the current tasks/processes it is focusing on now as a result of you tabbing out.

background fps maxed out. Dropping it to zero produces minimal core utilization when tabbed off of as expected. I think there’s some dynamic handling going on with the process being shifted across cores depending on what is in focus. Might have to do some reading on how that stuff is handled.

Yea it’s basically just shifting of “Priority” - this is another thing you can actively influence in Task Manager.

Alot of the material you will come across will often recommend NOT raising process priority and instead they frequently recommend de-elevating priority of everything else around it - which as you can imagine would require a more advanced program to handle doing such a thing.

You also can tweak how Windows approaches such things more globally in System Properties…

… the fastest way to these options is just to hit the Win key and start typing in “advanced system”.

This worked incredibly well for me. 4 core 4790k @ 4.6 GHz.

2 Likes

Thanks @powbam!!
I have messed with the Set Priority before, but never thought to change the affinity as you pointed out. Like @medea_fleecestealer, I still play TQAE. It tends to be laggy and the game loads with 100% on CPU0. I play on a Intel celeron J1900 (4core @ 1.99Ghz) with Intel graphics . After turning off Core0 and back on again, it had mostly equalized distribution across all 4 cores and gameplay was no longer laggy. I really appreciate your efforts!

1 Like

Hello, I gave this a shot and my system seems a little off. I’ll explain:

Processor: Intel Core i7 [email protected], 2653Mhz, 4 Core, 8 Logical Processor’s

Now, your manual and auto process works, but when I bring up the Monitor, it shows I am using 7 cores, and the load is only spread across 2 of them? Weird.

Looking at Google it says your CPU should be showing 8 cores. Windows Resource Monitor lists all your cores starting with 0 -zero- … so in your case you should see it listing CPU’s 0 thru 7 for a grand total of 8 cores. Be sure you are noting the CPU 0 in that list.

This method doesn’t work for all CPU’s unfortunately - it appears that primarily hyperthreaded CPU’s - as yours is - tend to be prone to not working quite “correctly” with this method.

@medea_fleecestealer

Windows version of Core Switcher has been updated and NOW works with TQ:AE (all cores).

Under the title heading of the OP I include a couple lines mentioning that in order for Core Switcher’s hotkeys to work with TQ:AE you need to first tab out of the game and then press the hotkeys.

If you wish to download the file and distribute it over at http://titanquestfans.net/ I am OK with that or you can simply create a thread describing and linking here as well if you like. I am fine whichever way you wish to do it.

1 Like

@powbam thought the below might be helpful but if you have any thing that could possibly get all core to work instead of just two please let me know. Thanks for the solid work you have done too.

I have been having a cpu issue where one core (core 0) was maxed and causing some issues with freezing and stuttering. FYI I use a 9600k i5. I tried to fix this with core switcher and adjusting settings after trial and error I found the solution, for some reason grim dawn will not recognize the 6 cores in my pc but will recognize two. I know core switcher works better with hyper threaded cpus and since mine has 6 physical I figured out that was why grim dawn wasn’t showing improvement with it on. So long story short if you run 9600k or a cpu with more than 4 physical cores try setting affinities to only two core should straighten out most issues and somewhat balance cpu usage across the two cores. As of now I am running mostly steady with all high to ultra high settings and only a slight 1/2 second stutter when loading an area with high density mobs.

Found on the 9600k core 5 & 4 were the best ones to set and set grim dawn to high priority.

1 Like

@xZixon - thanks for detailing your experience and observations. Hopefully, they come in handy for anyone else running a 9600k in the future.

I got to say I’m actually a little surprised that my findings isn’t working in your case as my i5-3350p also supposedly has all physical cores - 4 of them - so I would have expected yours to behave the same.

Really wish I knew why this works for some and not for others but so far I haven’t been able to identify what the distinctions might be.

1 Like

@powbam
I wonder if it has something to do with the age of the Cpu and the architecture in it. For example as new cpus come out the way the cpu operates has a slight change be that how cache is handled or how the clock cycles function.

After looking into both our cpus the biggest difference besides when they released is mine has intel graphics. I wonder if that is what is forcing the single core even when core switcher is on?

1 Like