[Tool] Core Switcher - Force GD to use all cores equally!

Thanks a lot for trying to help.

Right now i can’t test it because i’ll be going to work in about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, i installed GOG’s Grim Dawn in Lutris, … after a few failed attempts … but it’s working now: i’ll test it when i get back from work.

1 Like

It’s all good. Gotta do what ya gotta do :wink:

Nice. I have fiddled with Playonlinux a little bit while doing this and I gotta say, I find Lutris a bit more straightforward to use.

I assume you didn’t install the Galaxy runner? Because I tried the most recent one and it installed Galaxy fine but everytime I tried to install GD with it the installation failed. Dunno if it needs to be updated because of the recent Galaxy patch or not. I had to resort to using the GOG Grim Dawn runner: https://lutris.net/games/grim-dawn/

I installed the GOG w/ DXVK version and then used Winetricks to install all my DLC thanks to this explanation of how to do it:

But since you managed to get the Lutris version installed it’s super easy to get all the path information I detailed in my post above - so I’ll definitely be able to help you with that if you need guidance.

I was messing around with this a bit myself tonight… I have an i9-9900k. CPU 0, CPU 2, CPU 6, and CPU 15 are the most utilization. 6 is the one that caps out by default on my system for some reason… Trying the method mentioned above (or just disabling 6 first instead since thats where the excess usage defaults) leads to another cpu becoming the one that becomes maxed. Repeating the process leads to a game of whack a mole never resulting in an even spread.

1 Like

Thanks for the info - so 16 cores, and GD by default is heaviest on Core 6. :eyes: That in itself is… weird. It’s these fringe oddball cases that I really wish I understood - the sporadic and (I think) abnormal behavior. I really wish I knew if it was a setting causing it - or if it was just a peculiarity of the particular CPU itself.

Guess we’ll have to wait to find out…

… since you’re the only 9900k in the thread yet. I think I’ll go ahead and add 16 cores toggling to the Windows script here later on tonight just in case.

Ok - just did a pretty BIG update to the Windows Core Switcher (get it in the usual spot in the OP). After much reading and learning myself I realized that my method of determining core count (with and without Hyperthreading/SMT) was flawed. This called for me to completely revise my tool and how it went about its business.

Windows Core Switcher should now be able to account for all CPU scenarios without any further updates. All the way up to 32 core systems, you big spenders you.
:crossed_fingers:

You still use the Ctrl+Alt+o hotkey to activate it. I also added a Ctrl+Alt+i hotkey that will popup some CPU info relevant to what this tool does should you wish to see it.

My meager state of affairs:

Now to do more work on the Linux Core Switcher to bring it up to the same level.

Happy Gaming.

2 Likes

So a bit of testing this morning real quickly… It seems if I have nothing else running GD will default to CPU 0. After running the switcher, it switches to maxing out CPU 2 instead. Also the i9 is 8 core/ 16 logical processors .

note that when you’r playing through lutris you have to disable esync to avoid crash-to-desktop out of the blue. to do so click on the small gear under the play button, go to tab ‘runner options’ and disable ‘enable esync’.

furthermore, to use the 64bit game client, go to ‘gameoptions’ and pass

/x64

to the ‘arguments’.

I’m having trouble with the last line of that file:

Can’t locate that “/.local/share/lutris/ …” part :frowning:

Note that i tried this in Lutris only.

ALSO: these are the instructions i followed in order to install the game and it’s DLCs in Lutris:

Start the game up then shut it down once, we need to generate some logfiles and that is how you do it.

Now, click the “Show logs” button as shown below…

You will get this screen, go ahead and drag/scroll it on all the way up to the beginning of the log…

…and you will find your “wine” path once you get there…

That’s all you need :wink:

Also, in your picture of your file you shared…

Make sure you enclose any paths that have a space in their name in double-quotes.

"/home/Games/Grim Dawn"

Also, be aware that it takes a moment for it to fire the game up thru GrimInternals so be a little patient if you notice it not starting up lickety split.

1 Like

why so complicated? in lutris just click the gears-symbol, go to ‘game options’ and choose as ‘Executable’ the GrimInternals64.exe.
for me it crashed in the beginning when i tried to launch, but after setting these

UseGrimCamDll=False
ShowMainMenuGimmick=False

in the GrimInternals.ini the game launched properly. You can now try again with the mentioned .ini-settings reverted to ‘True’. For me it didn’t crashed again.

Because some people (like me) prefer to use GrimInternals only for testing and helping out others to use it so I’d prefer not to have to change it back and forth all the time.

I already figured out you can point the runner at the GrimInternals executable but I wanted a shortcut method instead :wink: which comes in handy for me whenever I get around to making a version of my GD Switcher for Linux. I’ll need a way to call it and launch it in a custom program and now I know how to do it.

Also, it ran fine for me at least - I didn’t change any settings for mine to run.

I got this:

The one i should use is “/usr/bin/wine /home/htc/Games/Grim Dawn/drive_c/GOG Games/Grim Dawn”, or just “/usr/bin/wine” (minus the “” on the 2nd one)?

Also: where do i place the Grim Internal files? In the game’s installed folder?

Unsure if it’s supposed to be there or @ /usr/bin folder.

then 'd recommend just using the command “lutris rungame/grim-dawn”.

so you don’t have to care about environment variables like wine prefix, dxvk, and many other settings. this can be still under control of the user, where it belongs, imho.

Ah… you must have installed a different runner than I did. Your log is alot cleaner than mine :slight_smile:

The reason you don’t see the .local folder in your home directory is probably because you need to toggle hidden folders to visible - folder names with a period preceding them, like .local, are hidden folders.

My path: /home/powbam/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-5.6-2-x86_64/bin/wine

Note where it says lutris-5.6-2-x86_64 in my path. Now look here:

Basically, make hidden folders visible in your file browsers settings then follow my same path but look for whatever version of Wine the games options says you are using. I do wish they would just give you the path right there in the game options for it since it is kind of a hassle.

Yup.

1 Like

That won’t work if you want to keep them separated. The Lutris ID is only going to point at whatever you have currently set as the executable. It can’t be more than one thing. Unless you know something I don’t know.

so you mean when testing for GrimInternals64.exe and Grim Dawn.exe? No there’s no other way i know, i referred to that…:

… which i understood as you want to make the coreswitcher-app launch the game, in the same way as the script does

Ah :wink: not “core switcher”, my other other Switcher app…

Basically it’s a launcher - you can toggle dx9/11, x86/x64, disable the expansions, launch with GrimInternals etc. My plans are to eventually have it also be a mod/save file manager as well.

damn how many do you have? :smiley:

Not enough, he’s currently making a “pants switcher” app to automatically change his pants when he soils himself.

2 Likes

Lol. well… That’s actually my old version… I have a different one that that will replace it eventually.

I also have “Menu Switcher” here:

GlockenGerda made us a mod that lets us change the FG menu to AoM or Vanilla menu so I made a tool that lets you rotate them at will, or randomize them on launch.

Note: the fire on the AoM logo. That’s FG fire - but AoM background Menu…

Pretty sweet.

1 Like