[Tool] GD save file editor

Hey :slight_smile:

First of all great program looks very promising, unfortunately I had an issue pop up and I’m not sure why.

I installed the java you linked and program ran all fine it detected the save game folder on first try, it had problems with my game dir, since the steam games are not installed on C://. I redirected it to the proper folder and it found it so everything was fine.

So after all this i looked around slightly played with the commands from the first post on this topic eg: show char level,weapon sets etc. on one of my char’s.
Everything was fine up until i closed it and tried to start the game, now it just crashes every time it tries to load the character i was looking into with the program.

I did a fresh a repair and fresh install just in case there some issue with corrupt files, it didn’t help.When i try to load the char with the editor to see if i forgot to save something it wont open him it just shows:

If you can take a quick look and see what may be causing this problem i would be very grateful :slight_smile:

Hi, great tool!

I’m just starting to tinker with this and I can’t quite grasp how to use the item generation function. I’m trying to slot in an item in my relic slot. How specifically would I do this? I’m sorry, I just can’t seem to figure it out. Thanks!

Hi Morydin!

Wow. I haven’t seen a problem where the output of the editor crashes the game yet. That’s certainly “not very good”. :o

Do you mind sending me a copy of that save file that crashes the game? Also, do you have a copy of the save file you started with? It’ll be very useful to have these so I can reproduce and fix the problem. (The editor always makes a backup of your current save file before writing out a new copy. So you should be able to find all of your previous versions of the save file in the save file directory.)

From this screenshot, it looks like the editor might be encountering a character that has not been in the game yet. The editor doesn’t deal with this particular case yet. If that isn’t the case, then, again, please send me the file so I can look into it. :slight_smile:

Hi henlee!

Thanks for trying out the editor!

Let me look into this for a bit… IIRC, the editor can only currently generate weapon/armor type items. It should be a pretty quick change to allow more items though. Will add this soon! :slight_smile:

Thank you for a prompt response! I’m sorry, but could I possibly see an example of how to add armor into different slots? I only understood the example for the 2h weapon because it is spelled out for me in the instructions. Thank you very much.

I’m sorry for flooding the thread with my questions. But, I’ve been tinkering some more and I think I have kind of gotten it to work:

I can change my shoulders by typing:

set equipment/9 “Item Name”

and followed by writing it.

I can adjust which item slot i want to write over by changing the numerical value there.

It has worked a couple times, but for several items it will tell me the item can not be constructed. Is this due to case sensitive spelling? Or perhaps the database isn’t comprehensive? I appreciate your help.

Yep! You’ve got the right idea! =)
Also, don’t forget you can use “show equipment” check all the stuff you have equipped. To see more details about a more specific piece of gear, you’ll still need to do “show equipment/<slot number here>”. x)

Well, the editor actually pulls the information directly from GD’s game data/database so it’s always up to date. However, the editor isn’t looking at the entire database when it’s generating items (I can’t remember why that is at the moment x).

It’ll help a lot if you can tell me what items you tried but couldn’t generate so I can make sure that those items are found in the next update. =)

The whole Ulzuin set doesn’t seem to work. Also, interestingly, I got some different results using spaces and no spaces:

I was trying to add Mantle of the Weeping Eye into my shoulder slot.

set equipment/9 “Mantle of the Weeping Eye” would result in an error.

set equipment/9 “MantleoftheWeepingEye” led to the generation of the item in the slot.

Tried a bunch of different permutations for the Ulzuin gear and none of it seemed to work. Thanks!

Hi there!

Okay, just tried “Mantle of the Weeping Eye”. Sure enough, it didn’t work. =) I’ll look into it.

As for the Ulzuin set… It appears to work when I tried it. It looks like the gear has a level requirement of 75. By default, the editor tries to generate gear that your character can use. To override that, just put in a high number at the end of the command like so:

set equipment/0 "Ulzuin's Headguard" 100

I’ll think about how to make that maybe a bit more intuitive, maybe by saying why it couldn’t generate the item.

Oh looky! A new build!
Hope this fixes the problem!

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3848680/GrimDawn/editor/gd-edit-0.1.2-SNAPSHOT-item-gen-fix.exe

Hey Oddie thank’s for the quick response :slight_smile: No the issue is not good at all :frowning:

On you’re first question I’ve uploaded a rar with the save file after editing and one before although the one before is a bit older not sure if it will help.I did read that the program makes a back up i tried to look for it but there is nothing the game save directory in My Documents/My Games/Grim Dawn unless it put it in some of the steam folders.

I’ve sent you a private msg with the links to Google Drive.

On the second question about the character not being into the game it can’t be possible since this was my most played character i have close to 50h played with him alone so not sure whats the issue there :frowning:

In any case hope you can help :slight_smile:

PS: Grim Dawn Back Up is the corrupt one and Fourth is the older version.

Hi there!

I got your files. Will try to figure out what might be wrong when I have a bit of time tomorrow. =)

No worries! You packed up the entire save directory so I’ve got all your characters as well as backups. Just in case, the backups I was talking about is in:
My Documents/My Games/Grim Dawn/save/main/_<character_name>

So for example, your Morydin character should be at:
My Documents/My Games/Grim Dawn/save/main/_Morydin

If you open up that directory, the save file the game will load is named “player.gdc”. You’ll see backups such as player.gdc.bak and others in there with similar names.

If you want to get back to your game right now, you can just rename whichever backup you want back to player.gdc and load up the game. The game should work without issue.

Okay. I’ll just look through all the character files to see if something crashes the editor.

Thanks! Will get back to you soon! =)

Hey

Thanks for spending time to look for the issue.

I’ve found the back ups you’re were referring to but they don’t fix the issue game still crashes even when I use them so somethings else must have happened.

On a side note when I tried using the older back up “Fourth” that i sent you yesterday and the game runs fine, sadly its a week or two old but worst case scenario ill go back to that even if i lose some stuff.

you have a typo on “help q”

This this retrieves where ‘weapons’ is part of the recrodname.

also, on windows, I think the us keyboards have a single key for “~”, but for other localized keyboards, heres how to put “~”:

press alt gr > press the ~ key > press the ~ key(yes, twice) > let go of alt gr > press backspace to delete the second ~

it works in the same way ^ does, so pressing twice is needed(no, letting go of alt gr won’t work). * requires a single key stroke. ~ requires 4.
so it gets tedious relatively quickly.

other than that, good stuff, thanks.

Awesome. Thank you very much!

Wow, now that I’m reading the help text again. They seem really badly written! I’ll try to fix it up a bit. Thanks for brining that to my attention. :o

Yeah, 4 keystrokes seems pretty bad. The ‘~’ was chosen because it means “similar” or “approximately equal” in math. Is there another symbol/operator you think is just as appropriate and easier to type? It’s also possible to take an example from SQL and use the word “LIKE”. That’s also 4 keystrokes, but it might be easier to type?

the help text is also pretty long(edit: no they aren’t, I just checked them out again), but an example input and output would suffice in most cases.

as for the symbol, * is my personal preference. It is a single keystroke, for most(all?) the keyboard layouts.

You already know this, but it is also used in pretty much everything else, like “cd c*” will cd the first folder starting with the letter c. unless you have a plans to use it for something else.

How about if we do something like…

q recordname *= weapons

This might look funny to those who knows a bit of programming. But since we’re not doing arithmetic here, we can think of this as a “wildcard =” operator.

It should be easy to type and looks “reasonable”. It should also be super easy to put in. x)

yeah that looks reasonable, thanks.

Hi Morydin!

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3848680/GrimDawn/editor/gd-edit-0.1.2-SNAPSHOT-standalone.exe

It took longer than I thought to find some free time! Here’s a new build that should work on Maiven now!

It looks like the editor broke the save file when it was saving out an item in the skillbar/hotslot. This only happens with some items that are put in the skill bar, so the bug wasn’t caught earlier. =(

Oh man! I certainly hope it doesn’t set you back 2 weeks!

I found a Maiven save backup dated 1/8 in “Grim Back up.rar” that works with the game without issue. Look in “save\main_Maiven”. Delete “player.gdc”, which is the corrupted save file. Rename “player.gdc.bak” (presumably the very first back up the editor made) to “player.gdc”. The game should now load up Maiven without issue.

Please lemme know if there are any other problems! (And sorry about breaking your game!)