[Tool] GD save file editor

Hi there!

Choosing your character is exactly what the “-f” parameter is supposed to do. If you don’t know where a save file is, you can check the editor. It will show you the exact path where a save file is located whenever a file is loaded or saved.

If you’re running GOG, starting the editor with a save file named “Odie” might look like:

ge-edit.exe -f "c:\Users\PJ\Documents\My Games\ Grim Dawn\save\_Odie\player.gdc" -b “C:\Users\PJ\Documents\GDTest1.txt”

The extension of the batch file doesn’t really matter. The editor will read it the same way regardless. Hope that helps a bit! =)

Oh … I clearly was not thinking too well … thought the first path after the -f was path to the executable, not the player file. That’s pretty sad. I know where the save files are. Let me test now you’ve set me straight again.

I wrote a lot in the last note so a question got buried. Do I need to include the exit command as part of the batch file ?

Hi Odie - it ran with no exception and program found the correct character file to edit. It won’t execute the commands in the batch file though. It does this

C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn>gd-edit.exe -f “C:\Users\PJ\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main_ButterBar\player.gdc” -b “C:\Users\PJ\Documents\GDTest1.txt”
gd-edit 0.1.9-SNAPSHOT [build 048089c]

save directories:
C:\Users\PJ\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main

game directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Grim Dawn

Need help? Check the docs!
https://odie.github.io/gd-edit-docs/faq/

Character: ButterBar
r) reload
w) write

The batch file has the following in it
level 25
write

Thoughts why it is stopping at the prompt inside the program ? Sorry for the hassle - seems I’m almost but not quite over the finish line with this :grinning:

I haven’t been following this too closely and I’ll be honest and say I don’t really know odies tool well but…

…is that a typo I see there?

F#$% - yes it is - well there is a \ missing to be exact :crazy_face: Thanks for the eagle eyes. Fixed that so now it runs, even says it is in batch mode but - it won’t write the value I set in the batch file now :rage:

It says it does - first screenshot. But if I go back in and check manually it still has the old value (second screenshot). Given I’ve messed up just about everything so far it’s probably something else I’ve not done properly or mistyped or mispelt but I don’t think so now

Just to double check but is the game running when you’re trying to make these changes? Other than that I would wonder if a permissions issue of some sort is happening.

Yes I made sure the game wasn’t running when I ran the commands. I tested a theory just now and it is working for me now. For whatever reason the batch file needs 2 write statements and the end of the batch file script for it to write the new values properly. With that out of the way I can start playing with larger scripts but I’m good for now :+1:

1 Like

A wish list request as time permits :grinning: - would it be possible for the tool to be able to access/edit/write to the transfer stash tab. This is not as you know, character specific, but every character can access it. I tried a few stash commands with an item only in the transfer stash but it wasn’t found. This would be a nice feature to add in as the transfer stash has a lot more space to put things in.

Alternatively - if there are commands that can already access them can you let me know what they are.
Can’t thank you enough for all you’ve provided already. It’s a fantastic little command line tool !

Hi i’ve just installed ash of malmouth and upload my previous character from the earlier version of the game.
I just want to change the character class but when i launch the editor its just showing me the character from the first version of the game.

Please help me out

If you want to change character class (so a Shaman instead of an inquisitor for example) you will need to use the respec command. There is a great FAQ section provided by Odie (see need help? section at top of thread).

I believe you will you will need to use the respec command. Type help respec on the command line to see the options. “respec skills” if all you want to do is reset masteries. You need to perform a write for changes to be saved, then exit to quit and go check changes worked.

Always make a backup of your character(s) before doing anything. Also - keep in mind, this will reset ALL your masteries and skills. You will be back t ground zero and have to select new masteries and reapply skills points. Everything else (devotions and attributes) will not be changed. If you are changing classes you probably want to nuke both skills and devotions. To do both you can use “respec skills” then “respec devotions”, “write” then “exit”.

And welcome to the forums !

Hi there!

You can change your character class with these commands.

https://odie.github.io/gd-edit-docs/commands/#class-manipulation

Lemme know if you run into any problems. =)

Just found out about these too - the more I use the more useful things keep popping up. Thanks Odie !

Hi Odie - I just tested the class commands. Not all the commands seem to work properly.
class and class list both run as expected but the following commands do not

class remove Inquisitor results in
“Removing class: Inquisitor”
Updating the following fields:
Nothing has been changed

class add will add a class, but the added class will not appear in the game (even after write to file). It still shows the old masteries (you can actually add multiple masteries beyond 2 this way but they will not appear in game, just the command line).

If you use the respec command to remove masteries and then use the class add commands, you do get new masteries as you would expect, and they do appear in the game.

Do class commands have to be used together with respec then, or are they supposed to work by themselves, or is it just me this happens for :upside_down_face:

Hmm… They’re supposed to work by themselves. Maybe it broke at some point? I’ll take a look soon.

1 Like

Hi guys,
My main issue first is that im not able to found my actual character from GD ash of malmouth and the editor only been able to found the characters i’ve created from the previous GD

If you’re not seeing your characters in the local save location then that can only mean one thing. You have steam cloud-saving enabled and they are in the cloud yet.

The editor will look for saves in the steam cloud directory as well as the local save directory in “My Documents”. Please make sure your save files are in those directories. If you have your save files in some other directories for some reason, you can add it by using the “savedir” command.

https://odie.github.io/gd-edit-docs/commands/#command-savedir

Thanks for this tool, I’ve been using it to do lots of build testing. However, I’ve ran into a problem.

I just set up a new computer and when I try to run GD-edit, it opens and then immediately closes. I get no error messages and running as admin makes no difference. Java is version 8 update 241. My new computer is running Windows 10 while my old one runs Windows 7, if that matters.

Any idea how I can fix this issue?

Make sure any anti-virus programmes aren’t interfering with the .exe file. Exclude the programme from being checked.

Also, you may want to run the program from cmd.exe. If/when the program exits, you’ll be able to see if it printed anything before exiting.