[Tool] GDViewer - Fast lightweight character viewer and note keeper

I think I know what you did wrong. You set the path wrong.

You set it to:
C:\Users\EF\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\main

When you were supposed to set it to:
C:\Users\EF\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save

@MikeHeydon - you might need to put in a check from now on where if it doesn’t properly detect what it’s looking for it will inform of it and let you try again.

Edit: Scratch the above. I see that he did set it right. hmm… I tried setting my path “wrong” and I didn’t get any error. Not sure then what’s going wrong for him then.

Looking at his .ini setting it appears that the program is having issues with his username in the path. Wonder if he can just manually edit his username into the file?

I also have this error (1st version of the program). Just “I/O error 103”. Only one character is on the list.

ERROR 103

Ah, I see what is going on here.
There is a player.gdc file in the …\save\main directory, so it thinks that player.gdc is a character name.

My …\save\main director ONLY has characters.
I see though that they ALL start with an underscore, so I could validate that a VALID character is a directory in main and must start with and underscore and does indeed have a player.gdc in it.

I will update with that logic shortly so we can accomodate different situations that can occur in that directory.

Here is what my C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\xxxx\219990\remote\save\main
looks like (notice ONLY dirs and they start with underscore)

1 Like

UPDATE

I managed to replicate that error by copying a player.gdc file into the …\save\main directory and have added the extra checks.

Link at top of post is now for updated EXE version 1.0.2.11

Sorry about that guys, but bear with me, this is my first attempt at playing around with the Grim Dawn game files and directory structures and I only have my setup and layout to work with currently.

2 Likes

I’m a bit curious as to why there is a player.gdc in the main folder. I’ve never seen the game do that. It had to have been manually placed there.

Me too, I assumed that from my layout that Grim Dawn only allowed character directories in …\save\main

Not a problem though and if Grim Dawn does not complain about it, I just have to make sure my app also does not crash because of it.

lol ya… now I’m wondering if the game itself is somehow reading that player.gdc. A bit odd. Perhaps it’s the result of some other 3rd party tool they were messing around with.

If they can paste it on the forum I can extract the info in there and tell them what character it is from.

Tested last version in OP and I see no characters (admin, no admin, save\ and \main paths)
No errors
Here’s my save

Copied your save dir to my temp dir.
Works perfectly.
If you see no characters, your path to the save dir is wrong.
Have you set it to …\save\main by mistake. (look at path at bottom of screen - it must end with \save
What is contents of the GDViewer.ini?

I’ve reopened the program and everything is set correctly

[FORM]
Width=1820
Height=980
[PATHS]
GD Save Path=C:\Users\OMEGALULCEN\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save\

Clicking refresh but the list remain empty :slight_smile:
I’ll redownload again

[edit] still nuttin’

I wonder if it something is going on with their user paths initially. FOE’s username in his .ini he showed above was C:\Users\xxx\ yet his username shown in the actual initial error message was EF. Something happening there for them.

Edit: it is interesting to note that both tqFan and FOE’s usernames are completely capitalized - I’m unsure if that matters or why it would.

Dude, my username is not capitalized, I changed it to OMEGALULCEN so that it’s not visible here on forum :wink:
My usernames is lowercase 6 letters. I’ve never messed with it, when I open command line, I am in my home directory C:\Users\MY_USERNAME>

You seem to not know omega lulcen meme

Ahh, my bad then lol. I’ve never cared if anyone saw my username of my OS online so it didn’t occur to me that anyone else would. Not much anyone is going to be able to do with it or with knowing it.

Indeed… I’m not that hip to the meme scene - tho I do find meme’s funny often.

1 Like

Well it does contain my name so that’s that :wink:

omegalulcen is from omegalul connected with Wolcen which had a terrible launch :wink:

1 Like

Well then I’m outa ideas as for what the issue might be. Feels like something with the user paths tho. Are your user path names non-English perhaps?

Nope. My Windows Language is English and username also contains only english letters.
Windows 8.1 by the way

Damn… that was my last idea for that :smiley:

Very weird!

Just checked to see if spaces in name cause issues.
They don’t make any difference.

Does Grimtools calc work with path?

Can you try to copy your save dir to C:\temp\save and reset the path to that to see if it is not something with the c:\users directory with file ownership or some other Win permissions.

I copied saves to external drive and it worked :slight_smile: