[Tool] GDViewer - Fast lightweight character viewer and note keeper

Let me have a look at where that value is in the stat fields.

I had a look at including the Death Count as a column.
Turns out it is NOT as simple as it sounds.

Technical explanation

I do not decode the whole character and database files as I want to keep this app as a light and fast solution.

I use sections of the C++ web example to decode the gdc character file.
I just currently process the first 3 data blocks as it has some of the data I require.

Block 1 - Character Information : Used
Block 2 - Player Stats : Useless as they change by modifiers, but required for encrypt read progess.
Block 3 - Player Equipment list : Used

The issue with Death Count is that it is way down in Block 16 of the gdc file.

I thought I could just skip all the blocks down to 16 using a BlockRead(BlockSize) and just call the encryption enabled ReadByte() for every byte read. Turns out that this does not work. You have to read each block with the correct defined block structure in order to update the Encryption Table correctly.
eg.
ReadInteger();
ReadString();

etc.

There is nothing in the blocks 4…16 that I particularly need, apart from the Death Count at 16 and the processing cost of getting there for the one property is not really worth the effort.

On the bright side though, I have just posted an update 1.3.11 (Build 23) for the app that has some nice new features.

Hello,

thanks for trying to add the feature I requested. Sadly it’s buried deep in the file. Who knows, as time passes, maybe Block 16 will be reached :slight_smile:
Also, problem I noticed, clicking on headers to sort by desired column does not perform as expected.
It always sorts Ascending, but on second click, which should perform the same sort on column clicked, but Descending, it does not work, or rather it behaves strange.
I made short video, because I know I did not explain it well :smiley:

Yea, maybe Crate will eventually open up all the character definition files in unencrypted plain TEXT files once they have deemed the game is complete and NO further patches will be applied.

In the meantime - we play and survive in Cairn as best as we can

I wouldn’t bet on that :scorv:

1 Like

Thank you for this, work perfect for me.
I love to have notes for each chars.

As for the collection tags, I use GDSC for extra storage, not mules, but I found a nice way to use your feature that maybe other people can find useful, there are many possibilies, pic related:

… actually, I have NO chars that can beat Callagadra or SR 70+, the pic is just a test for GDViewer :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Small update at top of page. Having over 40 characters now I got weary of the initial load time getting longer and longer with each new character. Added multi-threading for each character which significantly reduces the initial load time with many characters.

1 Like