⭐ Top 20 Softcore builds, ft. HC approved section from RektbyProtoss! [1.2.0.5] (An Onion)

Can you provide examples of monster skills that inflict impaired aim but not an equivalent or greater amount of fumble?

I think one of the real reasons why ranged might be underperforming is that melees get greater access to radial or wide-angle AoE procs and can apply them better. And these procs can proc each other, potentially bypassing fumble.

We’ll see what happens in FoA when ranged builds can start stacking Evade charges.

From the top of my head Kaisan. Also those aether snake heroes. There is someone else, don’t remember.

Yeah, that might also play a role since monsters are flanking all the time.

I have a few questions. I am a new player. and I wanted to try out some complete characters so I downloaded a few of them above. I disabled cloud saves in the game. but when I copy some characters into the game I don’t see any characters. My local save folder address does not have the main file (E:\Steam install\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\save). I don’t know why I don’t have the main file. someone help me. Sorry my English is quite bad

Because they are located elsewhere. Unfortunately can’t remember the path and Im not at pc, BUT there’s a solution to get the info.

Go to the grim tool website, then pick build calculator, then pick checklist from the top menu.

On the top left there’s an arrow pointing up, it’s used to load one of your file. Click it. it opens a window and there are some instructions about which file to load. The standard path to the save folder using steam is reported there to help people finding the proper files.

You don’t need to use the check list tool, it’s just an emergency solution if you don’t remember the folder location.

Hope it can help.

1 Like

not your save location

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\"folder of numbers"\219990\remote\save
^cloud on ingame (you can’t copy files to here, need to import them)
*if you have steam installed in a custom install the start path will be different but sub folder the same

C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\save
^cloud off ingame, can copy files here

1 Like

And make sure cloud saving is turned off in both the Steam settings and the ingame Options menu.

In live version most mobs with impaired/fumble debuff have the first one higher than fumble, mostly it’s 50%/33% situation. It’s changed in PT.

Monster Fumble and Impaired Aim values were changed with patch 1.2.0.4, so those changes are already live. The PT didn’t change them again, AFAIK. But I’m guessing a lot of the testing was done prior to 1.2.0.4 releasing?

No worries though, I’m sure there are some ranged builds in the upcoming Honorable Mentions and one need only say that they would probably perform better in the current live version.

I might’ve gotten lost in patches, yeah. Ranged builds became much better after that change. But ultimately the flanking nature of mobs favors melee more if you are after the clearspeed. And a lot of ranged builds dodged WPS buffs cause they were running on granted WPS mostly.

17 out of 20 builds have a mastery movement skill. The top 14 all have these skills. Mobility really matters. I suppose the game should have been designed with one movement skill per mastery, with no movement runes needed. But alas, this was not to be. It does remind me of the good ol’ days of the pre-Crucible meta where players rushed though rogue dungeons, killing only heroes and bosses.

On a different topic, the conversions for the Voidsoul Sentinel look really crazy. Is 1/3 of Aegis physical damage really being converted to pierce?

1 Like

yes

personally think that’s a bad take, already back pre FG i was using riftstones on swap for multiple movement skills, and it wasn’t optimal, so why; because to some having multiple movements is fun, less/the above notion would detract significantly for that (same reason why i’m hoping FoA truly doesn’t do away with the rune+evade combo currently)
It’s not just that movement matter, but which type and how a build uses it, easiest showcase of this could be the Ludrigan druid that has basically a 0 downtime on its 2 common moves, but both dervish/saboteur/warlord etc “3-4class move builds” actually has a lot of movement downtime usage; simply standing ground for aoe damaging.
I think it’s also additionally noticeable when you then sometimes have builds that entirely forgo the option of said extra movement, i’m guessing because piano or just doens’t add enough speed value on top of like blademasters not 1pointing blitz or warlords not 1pointing vire - let alone more casual builds that wont even 1pt stuff purely for movement if the perception is the “build” doesn’t use the skill for more, where it becomes even more about pilot preference

Anyway, TLDR is i’m reading that last notion as GD is becoming/has become more akin to PoE zoomzoom matters, and i don’t think that’s entirely true because it depends on build/pilot and zoom usage,
and it’s more a coincidence that more of these sturdy+big aoe builds happen to have class movement this type around, not that it’s the movement itself making them the winners
(compare to last top20 where there were fewer nightblades and the NB builds were several without movement but not wps/aa use which is then flipped this time around to melee AAwps builds dominating 10/20builds)

Great work everyone, I barely contributed to this testing this time due to being burnt out, but I am glad it’s finally posted.

4 Likes

I don’t know why, but because of your saves both my game and GDS crash.
I can’t test your character ((

you on an “old” GD patch?
there has been changes to GD save format so you need to be on 1.2.04 or 5 since saves don’t seem to work backwards

2 Likes

How important / optimised are the green item affixes to the success or not of the builds (either in general or with an example would be great!). I ask as I have got some that are “close” but don’t have the exact matches for the most part.

If you got something “close” it should still work. We tried to have all of the builds with realistic affixes that can be interchangeable.

If you can be more specific like post grimtools with your character with the items you got, I can help more.

1 Like

Thanks! Here is the Trickster: Trickster, Level 100 (GD 1.2.0.5) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

I am farming the other Alkamos ring ( :smiley: ) and don’t have the right Amulet as yet (next on farming list)

Other greens look adequate, but maybe more defensive than attacking

For amulet use Peerless Eye, banana_peel switched to that amulet himself.

As for your other greens, they are less than ideal. You have to farm better ones. Medal is one of the easiest ones to drop with good affixes (and you got one affix that is not cold), belt is harder, but impervious of supremacy is completely useless when you already have impervious on pants which out of all three greens you have look the best.

So I would recommend starting with farming a better medal and belt and then look for better pants. Although you can farm Solael on your way (it’s a bit out of the way but close enough) to Steps of Torment (that would be the best probably).

1 Like

Thanks - so I am just looking for as many cold affixes as possible once I’ve got the resistances covered?

cold ones, elemental ones, aggressive/stalwart are really good jewelry affixes

3 Likes