Tree regrowth still too low, make decoration trees great again - 0.7.5f

So tree regrowth has been increased. I played several years now (about 24h real time) and changed my strategy for wood cutting. Instead of 4 workers in 1 work camp I now have only 1 worker in 4 work camps. All 4 have different wood cutting areas to give enough time for trees to regrow.

As you can see in my screenshot (zoomed with camera mod) tree regrowth is still too low, even for 1 wood cutter. Forest is not coming back.

I’d like to open this discussion because right now I think within 50 years my settlement will be dead. I always managed to keep my stock above 1000 wood but right now I’m down to 500 including trades. As travel time increases more and more, nearly all trees are chopped down and traders don’t carry enough wood with them to trade (and they often don’t buy what I have, like 8000 leather which is a crazy result of patch 0.7.5) and yearly raids draining my resources to rebuild outposts my settlement will be dead soon. There is no way to compensate that. If coal is empty, which will be the case in the next 100 years, I would have to switch to coal making out of wood or buy it from traders. That will increase the problem even more.

So my suggestion is:

• Increase forest cure/return/generation massively
  • Increase tree growth
  • Make decoration and fruit trees spread themselves over time. This is also realistic since wood consumption has been a medieval problem as well. Planting trees which create new forests is realistic and could solve late game issues. It also gives more value/game content to decoration trees.

If we don’t get any kind of forest restoration possibility Farthest Frontier will be one if not the only game not to have a forester or something similar. Think about it. :wink:

2 Likes

What map type and difficulty though?

And we already know Crate are looking into the forestry side of things further down the line.

Alpine, hardest difficulty.

And yes, the game should be hard. I like that. But it’s foreseeable that the end is near. When all resources are gone, you lack wood, stone and all ores. It’s not possible to compensate that with renewable resources (food, animals, herbs) with a huge population and massive raids. So it’s not about making the game easier, but right now I think late game will be a problem.

Regarding your edit: Well, I have read it and AFAIK all changes planned for 0.7.5 have been applied already.

We’ve heard your feedback regarding the sustainability of towns in the endgame, so we are taking some measures for v0.7.5. For starters, we are significantly increasing the resources within mineral deposits.:white_check_mark:came with 0.7.5

Trees will regrow faster :white_check_mark: came with 0.7.5 and produce more wood :grey_question::grey_question: not observed. This should make Work Camps with 2 workers able to chop trees without any additional micromanagement for a long time, if not indefinitely :stop_sign:that’s def. not the case. Full Work Camps focused on trees will still likely make quick work of a forest, but the assumption there is that you need lots of wood and fast.:ballot_box_with_check: Yeah, that’s true and logic, not complaining about that

The technology required to create seeds that will grow into sterile trees (trees that cannot reproduce) likely didn’t exist within the time period within which the game is set.
Therefore there is no good reason from a lore perspective, that a reasonably sized group of decoration trees cannot reproduce. (especially if there is an apiary nearby assisting pollination, hint hint to the game designers, the apiary range can also limit the spread of growth of the plantation.)

I also really do not see this improvement, neither trees regrow faster nor that they produce more wood.
The maximum is still 10, but not for all tree types.

So what is it you optimized?
I play on very easy settings and even cannot see them.

I started to place decoration trees to get more, but the types are very few, was this your intention?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.