Trying to communicate directly with the developers/owners of Crate Entertainment

I sent an email to [email protected]

If you are a core developer or a member of the business team, please read it.

We have the resources and knowledge to make history with Grim Dawn in the NFT/play-to-earn industry. GD is and always has been a diamond in the rough, there is nothing stopping it from still becoming the globally recognized game that it deserves to be.

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

If Crate are interested in your e-mail then they’ll get back to you, plain and simple.

Thank you, Medea.

I hope your dragon collection has grown in number.

Her WHAT now? :scream:

2 Likes

I can’t find an emoji matching my facial expression when I read this.

1 Like

My dragon collection; I have around 30 or so different dragon statues in the house. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

GD included in NFT/play to earn industry? i’m not sure about that. perhaps its possible in GD2? of course its ultimately up to crate’s decision.

Grim Dawn from almost a decade ago is easily better than all of the NFT video games currently out today.

1 Like

In which way would GD benefit from having NFTs?

3 Likes

Grim Dawn itself cannot pivot to having NFTs.

I want to use the same engine and assets to create a new game with NFTs.

The reason why Grim Dawn is perfect is because the game has been polished for years. It takes a very long time to develop a game, and even longer to perfect it the way you have with Grim Dawn.

In a competitive/fun game where items have scarcity and can be freely transferred, people will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their characters. There is little room for game-breaking bugs, because it could result in an extreme financial loss to a player, so the game has to be polished.

The reason Crate is incentivized to develop this is because of the value of the in-game items, and Crate’s ability to profit off their sale in the secondary market. I am not suggesting that Crate sells items, it should not. Items should randomly drop from playing the game the way they normally do, but players should be able to resell these items in the form of scarce NFTs. The reason we use NFTs is to verify their scarcity on-chain; it is impossible to duplicate NFTs and everyone can see every NFT on-chain and audit for themselves that there is only a certain number of a specific item in existence.

NFT marketplaces allow creators to sell their NFTs to anyone in the world. It also allows them to collect a royalty fee of anywhere between 0% and 10% (up to them) for every re-sale of that NFT. The revenue you can generate with scarce in-game items that can be freely traded on the open market as NFTs is mind boggling when compared to selling entire games for $25 a piece. Crate can also create its own NFT marketplace (it isn’t too difficult) and probably display this marketplace in-game.

Please direct your attention to this NFT art collection: (https://opensea.io/collection/0n1-force)

These guys launched about 2 weeks ago. They already have 32,000 ETH in trading volume (people buying and selling their art). They take a commission of 7.5%. That’s 2,400 ETH in revenue, approximately $7.68M in sales just from other users flipping their art. The only reason for their popularity is that their art was pretty and scarce. This is the kind of money floating around the space right now, we are in the middle of the biggest wealth transfer in human history.

Allow me to break down some of my vision, for you. For the sake of an example, let’s say Grim Dawn 2 uses an NFT system:

Every Legendary item in GD2 will have a global finite supply (let’s say 1,000 in total). After a specific Legendary item drops 1,000 times in-game, it can never drop again. If you have a legendary item in your stash, you can choose to convert it into an NFT. In so doing, the item would be withdrawn from your stash and get put into your Ethereum wallet (which is connected to your game account) as an NFT. If this user ever sold the item, Crate would automatically receive a % cut (between 2% and 10%,
up to you guys). The buyer of this NFT would be able to convert the NFT back into an in-game item and use it on their account.

The money people will pay to look cool in-game or to complete a specific build is unfathomable. I know this because I am heavily involved in the NFT world myself and am consistently flipping JPGs for $30,000 profit for no reason other than that people want to be the ones to own something cool and rare.

Imagine what people would pay for an NFT that had genuine utility within a polished game. Axie Infinity is an ultra-simple game that has generated hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue with their product in a short number of years, there is no reason why Crate cannot perform and compete at that level.

Now introduce hardcore mode, where if a player dies, not only is their character deleted but the items they had on are lost forever, this would decrease the supply of rare items over time and further increase the rarity and value of rare items, to the point where one day there may only be a few copies of a specific item in existence, making them ultra-rare.

PvP mode would allow players to fight in special zones, where dying causes you to drop loot on death. For Arena mode, users would be able to bet ETH (money) on the outcome of a match, winner takes 90% (with 10% going to Crate).

If you tap into the crypto market, you will see people spending tens of thousands of dollars on matches like this.

This is the future of gaming and NFTs. Only game development studios with existing products really have the ability to capitalize on this trend before it becomes over saturated with new competition. A lot of brand new studios are already working on alphas. People are dying for a top-down ARPG that fits this niche, and I can help bring investors, influencers, advisors and developers that can make this a reality. What I can’t bring to the table is a polished, working, meticulously balanced game product.

You are evil.

I’m going to need a new hobby.

20 Likes

What I said was " This is the future of gaming and NFTs."

There will always be a place for games with imaginary economies that don’t have NFTs. But the world is moving online. In-game real estate and items will be as valuable as real-world real estate and items, if the game is popular enough.

Counter Strike had touched on the ability to buy and sell items on a marketplace, and many of the skins in that game were worth hundreds and thousands of dollars. But that was much worse. There was no way to verify the rarity or scarcity of an item, it was just a Gaccha system, and Valve could print skins and sell them on the open market if they wanted to.

You can spend a lot of time in a game to earn something and feel accomplished, but it’s no different than spending a lot of money in a game to have something you want–time is money. Ultimately, the hardcore players that love the game will be the ones to farm most of the legendaries, and they will be able to make GD2 a full-time job if they wanted to.

Still hoping GD2 is mostly focused on offline single player with just multiplayer co-op in case people want to play with other people.

14 Likes

Me to, no currency / economy / being force to trade, or at least a mode free of that with normal drop rates, not balanced around trading, as it is now. Separate online only mode with shitty droprates and characters on a server for those who like it.

6 Likes

I understand your sentiments.

Anyone in the forums these days is likely to be a loyalist that is fond of the way things are and have been. I also enjoy Grim Dawn, with over 360 hours logged and some couple hundred more on my other steam account that I lost.

I didn’t come here with these ideas expecting community support, I’m hoping to make the team see the potential of this market before the opportunity quickly passes. I am merely suggesting they re-use the engine and assets to make an NFT-based game, which I know will do better than they probably expect.

I can even head this effort. I am not a game developer but I have launched several large crypto projects and advised many more. If the core team oversees operations, we can raise enough to hire additional staff and not have to split existing resources.

I really hope you are wrong. I somehow get the feeling that this is worse than lootboxes, microtransactions, paid mods and pay2skip freemium combined.

7 Likes

Introducing real life income inequality into gaming sounds like a great idea.

12 Likes

ugdenblooms > ETH

4 Likes

It isn’t worse. You do not own or control any of the things you are purchasing under those business models; it’s a degenerate form of gambling with very little transparency.

Under the model I am suggesting, you simply own your loot and your loot has real world value.