Tutorial: Play your main campaign characters in mods and vice versa

This is a Tutorial on how to play your main campaign characters in mods
and vice versa.
Since the original link from Ceno is outdated and the video deleted, I am going to write this
tutorial. Let’s get started:

The first thing you need is the Link Shell Extension:
https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension_de.html
You can download it here, it is completely free!

If you have downloaded the extension, go to your Grim Dawn save folder (Cloud saves will not work, you have to disable them!). My save folder as reference is under:
admin/documents/my games/grim dawn/save

First thing you do, start Grim Dawn, create a character in the main campaign and not under mods! Quit Grim Dawn. Go into your save folder. In your save folder under save/main is your created character. Right click now the file and click on pick link source (this option is only available if you have installed the Link Shell Extension!).
Move now to the save folder under save/user. In the User folder right click and past it in as a Symbolic Link.

That’s it you’re done. You can play now your campaign character in mods, crucible and so on.

Important: If you enter a mod which is going to change your class to a custom class,
or change your character in general, your character is broken afterwards in the main campaign! Don’t do it! You can play in a mod as example with modded items, but if you try to transfer the item, the item is gone for good.

1 Like

Are you sure this is correct? Because to play Main Campaign characters in Custom we also need to edit the charcters to have “In mod” toggled (in GDStash) in addition to having it in the user folder. Otherwise it’s not visible by the game irrc (?)

I use this for years, I’m 100% sure, buddy. Btw, I never used GD stash - I only use GD multi Stash because most of the stash mods include various cheats and I don’t like it.

1 Like

It works indeed. I just tested it. You can cheat with Multi Stash too btw.

@Achalesas I wonder if symlinking stash file would work

That’s not what happens if you don’t enable the mod flag. It doesn’t affect visibility of the characters at all.

It causes issues with quest stuff resetting all the time etc. It’s been awhile since I’ve done it so I cant remember the particulars but there are issues. Quite honestly I don’t see how symlinking would be able to rectify that. The mod flag needs to be set on characters you move from Main to Custom games. And vice versa.

1 Like

hi which is the fastest and safest way to move character from main to custom for the version 1.2.0.0?
i only want to use the MOD “New Caravan & Inventory”

thx

bye

Everyone has already answered it clearly before. :airplane: :clown_face:

You can also try avoiding doing it altogether by hard modding this mod with basemod option
2 mods its possible? - #3 by tqFan (just don’t play the 2nd mod)
Back up your saves before experimenting