Ultimate Hardcore Shield Ranged Battlemage- The Mage Enforcer

Build Intro:

Not a new concept per say, but a variation of an existing build. Specifically, it is this but with a ranged playstyle.

Image Source: https://twitter.com/Samaru_ASGL/status/1587029334199799808

Pros & Cons

Pros:

+Good crowd clearing
+Respectable and highly consistent damage output
+Great tanking capabilities with a decent amount of life steal
+Adept at both close quarters and ranged combat scenarios

Cons:

-Lower durability and attack damage compared to the original build
-Positioning is important in maximizing crowd clearing speed

Leveling

For leveling, I referred to this guide [1.1.9.0] Pure Soldier [HC] Beginner Forcewave 1-75 Leveling Guide + Endgame Options and Class Combos

There are other ways to get to level 94, but an Obsidian War Cleaver with decent affixes and suffixes is extremely easy to farm. Most notably, it grants a significant damage bonus to Forcewave which turns it into a devastating skill.

Before moving on, here is how I recommend distributing our skill points following each Level Up:

• 2 points into Soldier / 1 point into Arcanist (Level 2 - 50)

• 1 point into Soldier / 1 point into Arcanist (Level 51 - 90)

• If you are done with the soldier tree, then focus completely on the Arcanist Tree

Soldier tree Skill allocation is as stated in the guide, though you might want to consider these options from the Arcanist Tree as well. The bolded skills should be prioritized:

1. Iskandra’s Elemental Exchange (one point)

2. Overload (12 / 12, you want this for the Aether resistance + Offensive Ability)

3. Mirror of Ereoctes (one point)

4. Maiven’s Sphere of Protection (3/12 at first, then gradually max it out when you are done with leveling the soldier tree)

5. Inner Focus (Really good source of Offensive Ability

The linked guide gives a lot of good advice for gearing. And as for devotion pathing, you may follow the above guide or continue below for my choices which pertains to this particular build (Recommended, since it allows you to level up your celestial powers sooner)

Once you have hit level 94, please continue reading and prepare to respec your skill points.

Build

Battlemage, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.7) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator : Final Build
Attribute points- PHYSIQUE 79 / CUNNING 28 / SPIRIT 00

NOTE: This build was finalized during version 1.1.9.7, and played on version 1.1.9.8. It seems to work as intended, but do inform me if something seems out of place. I haven’t gone through the entirety of the patch notes yet, so I can’t really tell what caused specific changes (if any).

This build should be similar to the Melee Spellscorge Battlemage one I linked at the very top of the page.There are some variances to gear since Blade Arc is unusable with a ranged weapon, so I had to accommodate for Cadence instead. Earlier, I mentioned how positioning needs to be taken into account - This is due to the fact that every third shot is a vastly more powerful shot that will penetrate through every target in a straight line, meaning that you might either need to funnel mobs so they form a line or make tiny adjustments to your footing in order to hit as many enemies as possible. Blade Arc has no such consideration because it does have a damage arc which covers a wider radius, as opposed to a straight line.

Personally, I feel that while a ranged playstyle does lead to lower armor rating and a block cooldown stat that isn’t maxed, the capability to engage from range presents a superior defensive option that cannot be quantified in numbers. So in practice, a ranged battlemage is better at negating damage through manual evasion, even if the character sheets show decreased defensive values.

And I should also add that I tend to prefer a ranged battlemage, because the original melee version still needs to close the distance to attack after repositioning for whatever reason. Through testing, a Blade Arc BM seemed to experience a slower clear time when pitted against Campaign Korvaak. Ranged Cadence BM on the other hand, took Korvaak from 100 to 0 in around two minutes, thirty seconds ; In spite of dealing lower damage overall. I have observed that the Battlemage’s ability to effectively tank damaging hits and fire from a distance, allowed the character to focus on damaging actions much more often- resulting in more frequent ticks of damage. Most other builds I have made generally don’t have the luxury of attacking Korvaak so many times, as they need to prioritize evading his attacks while taking pot shots unless they want to end up dead.

All in all, I really won’t say if a melee or ranged Spellscourge Battlemage is better. Both have playstyles with distinctive strengths and weaknesses. It is more fair to conclude that this build Is more of a ‘tank and spank’ kind of deal, while mine allows for ranged defensive plays with many opportunities to attack safely.

Devotion

1.Yellow Crossroads
2.Assassin’s Blade (Bind to Cadence)
3.Empty Throne
4.Blue Crossroads
5.Sailor’s Guide
6.Ulzaad, Herald of Korvaak (4 nodes towards Ulzaad’s Decree, Bind to War Cry)
7.Crane
8.Scales of Ulcama (4 nodes towards Tip the Scales, Bind to Maiven’s Sphere of Protection)
9.Hammer
10.Eel
11.Azrakaa, The Eternal Sand (5 nodes towards shifting sands, Bind to Zolhan’s Technique)
12.Red Crossroads
13.Refund Blue
14.Jackal
15.Vulture
16.Revenant (Bind to Devastation)
17.Refund Red
18.Complete Azrakaa, The Eternal Sand
19.Shieldmaiden (2 nodes)

8/12 fighting form provides full cadence passthrough, those 4 points I think would work better invested into overload and 1 into maivens to at least softcap it

1 Like