Ultimate Hardcore Sword & Shield Dervish- The Grave Dancer

Build Intro:

This build revolves around the Gravetouch shield, which I choose to pair with Chillheart. Since Sword & Shield oriented Eye of Reckoning builds are still relatively rare, I decided that I wanted to give that playstyle a try.

Image Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/e0VR83

Pros & Cons

Pros:

+Excels at Crowd Clearing
+Respectable Aoe /Single Target Burst Damage potential
+Good Survivability- High HP + Moderate DA, Fair chance to dodge
+Melee build that is also suited for evasive, hit & run playstyles

Cons:

-Jack of All Trades: Balanced performance, but master of none
-Durable, but unable to tank damage
-Hybrid playstyle which takes some time to get used to

Leveling

I felt adventurous, so I opted to level from 1 - 94 as a dual wield ranged character with cold as my main damage type. Given that there aren’t a lot of suitable leveling items that can scale / convert damage to cold for the Dervish, it was important for me to pick skills which have ‘% weapon damage’ scaling instead to compensate for the lack of damage modifiers during the early & mid game phases. Note that leveling was done in Normal & Elite mode.

ATTRIBUTES

Your Cunning stat should be raised to 446 as early as possible, since that is required for the weapons that we will be equipping. Feel free to dump the rest into physique and have just enough spirit to equip accessories while leveling. We can always respec our stats to match our finalized build later.

SKILLS

1. Prioritize Righteous Fervor 16/16, then immediately move on to Amarasta’s Blade Burst 16/16 and max its modifier Lethal Assault 12/12 as well. Quickly rush Oathkeeper Mastery to the max as soon as possible- Activating Summon of Empyrion 1/16 & maxing out its modifier, Celestial Presence 12/12 along the way. This step is CRUCIAL, otherwise your damage potential will never scale properly even during the early game. Dervish, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

2. Next, we are going to max both Pneumatic Burst 12/12 & Anatomy of Murder 12/12. We will also max our Nightblade Mastery at this point. All these will give us good sustainability, a substantial boost to total HP and enough Cunning to meet item requirements. Activate Blade Barrier 1/12 along the way: Dervish, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

3. Elemental Awakening 6/12 & Phantasmal Armor 8/12 is what we should aim for next. You can spend lesser points in either skill if your elemental & pierce resistances are looking good. Alternatively, you can skip this step and move on to step 4 if you are not aching for resistances. Dervish, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

4. Finally, we will activate Presence of Virtue 1/12 & max Haven 10/10 purely for the increased HP. Dervish, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

5. From this point on, our essential leveling skills have been filled out. All that is really left is to boost our damage output and survivability even further. The skills that I would recommend spending leftover points on are Merciless Repertoire, Veil of Shadow, Night’s Chill & Ascension: Dervish, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

GEAR

NOTE: I was using magic (yellow rarity) 2 handed ranged weapons until level 66 in my playthrough. I mentioned that the leveling abilities have ‘% weapon damage’ scaling, so I was still doing quite a bit of damage, regardless of damage type. What I did was just buy a more powerful weapon each time I went back to sell my loot; if a weapon I browsed showed up as having a higher Damage Per Second on the item card, then I would buy it.

The weapon I want in particular is Death’s Revolver which will take a while to unlock since Death’s Vigil only becomes available later on in the game, hence why I was stuck with yellows even past level 50. Once unlocked, even the level 35 variant felt better than the yellow weapons I had at level 66, and the level 70 variant can be used until level 94 on Elite. Also, reminder that you need a Gunslinger’s Talisman to dual two Death’s Revolver as the Dervish.

Also, there are a lot of rare (Green items) and obviously some Epic / Legendary ranged weapons which will be better than Death’s Revolver, so please equip them if you find them. I was testing the leveling process with faction items, so there’s no real reason for anyone else to refuse better gear other than as a challenge.

Faction Items:

Death’s Revolver
Death’s Mantle
Outcast’s Chilled Pauldrons
Rhowari Grips

For the other gear types, feel free to equip any items you find along the way (Rare quality or better). Emphasize on Resistances, with +Cold/Elemental damage modifiers as a secondary focus. +Skill items, epics or legendaries are nice, but only if they don’t compromise your resistances while leveling. I’ve stuck with mostly rares and faction gear while leveling in Normal & Elite.

Build

Dervish, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.8) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator : Final Build
Attribute points- PHYSIQUE 49 / CUNNING 39 / SPIRIT 19

NOTE: This build was finalized during version 1.1.9.7, and played on version 1.1.9.8. It seems to work as intended, but do inform me if something seems out of place. I haven’t gone through the entirety of the patch notes yet, so I can’t really tell what caused specific changes (if any).

The important thing to remember about this build, is that Eye of Reckoning (EoR) is your primary crowd clearing ability, while Ring of Steel (RoS) functions as both your single target / AoE burst skill. Mobs really should not be a problem, since you can just use EoR with the occasional RoS thrown in when appropriate. Even if you get surrounded, the constant damage you put out makes it pretty easy to life steal and keep yourself healthy.

Just remember that tanking certain enemies (like Kymon) is generally a really bad idea- This isn’t exactly a spin to win class since although you have decent DA + dodge/deflect chances, you will want to pull back the moment you can see that your life steal isn’t catching up with your lost health. As such, sometimes going in and out of range while using RoS exclusively can be the best tactic. Use EoR for some additional damage when you can, but always play it safe with RoS if it is too risky; It might not be as damaging as Shadow Strike, but RoS can be activated without compromising your movements so much, allowing you to remain as a huge threat even if you do nothing but run around.

If you want a more straightforward and aggressive ‘Spin2Win’ EoR build, then this: [1.1.4.1-1.1.9.3] Physical Spin2win EoR Warlord. 150-170, SR 75 viable, no greens Warlord build would suit you better. My build can feel defensive most of the time, mostly because at the end of the day, it’s about how much damage I can avoid and not how much damage I can take, all the while weaving in and out of range just to deal quick bursts of damage. As the great Muhammad Ali once said “Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee”, I think that quote alone summarizes exactly how my build would fight a powerful foe.

Devotion

1.Green Crossroads
2.Spider
3.Blue Crossroads
4.Sailor’s Guide
5.Red Crossroads
6.Jackal
7.Murmur, Mistress of Rumors (4 nodes, Bind to Ring of Steel)
8.Amatok. The Spirit of Winter (4 nodes towards Blizzard, Bind to Eye of Reckoning)
9.Finish Murmur, Mistress of Rumors
10.Finish Amatok. The Spirit of Winter
11.Eel
12.Ultos,Shepard of Storms (5 nodes)
13.Purple Crossroads
14.Empty Throne
15.Rhowan’s Crown (3 nodes, Bind to Summon Guardian of Empyrion)
16.Ghoul (4 nodes,Bind to Resilience)
17.Behemoth (3 nodes, Bind to Veil of Shadow)
18.Refund Blue & Purple Crossroads
19.Chariot of the Dead (6 nodes, Bind to Presence of Virtue)

1 Like

small notes
eor scales on attakck speed, not cast speed
rings doesn’t stack in terms of RR - and the RR is selfspreading once triggered
seal of blades liefsteal is entirely wasted when you put it in shield because none of your skills strikes with shield

1 Like

Thanks for the input.

I know that EoR scales on Attack Speed. I only put two of the same rings in this instance since I had a duplicate one and wanted to use it.

So, would the life steal activate if I just swap the weapon and shield components with one another?

yep
about the rings, just get a cold/elemental ring with attack speed, speed is super important for EoR, and it’s your main dps there when ring of steel has 4secs cd, so squeezing any extra speed in you can, when you’re low, is gonna be dps increase/more helpful than the cast

1 Like

Looks great

1 Like

Where has this build been all my life!! I love cold damage, i love sword and board builds that can bring the pain, and EoR is a decently fun one that manages to not get so boring that it makes me wana not play, like Force Wave did… omg worst leveling build and ill never do it again lmao. But no i really like this build, very nice job! I love this game and its freedom to literally do any build you can concoct, and youll probably be able to make it work. I mean, making a build around specific loot? You dont see that kind of freedom a lot in these games anymore haha.

1 Like

Yeah, most of my fun is really making builds around a set or even one item. That’s the awesome part about Grim Dawn.

Also, Force Wave is actually one of my favourite leveling builds since it also works all the way into a final build, but I can understand if it is a tad bit boring. The leveling for this build was just something I went out of the way for specifically, since I wanted to mix things up a bit after dozens of alts.