V0.9.1 Status Update

We wanted to give a quick update since things are taking longer than initially planned. V0.9.1 is touching upon a lot of fundamental systems in the game. We are still ironing out issues and bugs and we want to make sure that the new raid camp tuning is in a decent place before we hand off the new hotness to you.

The upside is that a few additional changes are sneaking their way into the update. You can see the latest changelog below.

At this time, v0.9.1 is slated for October. It will likely be sooner rather than later but, as with all game development, we would rather prepare for the worst than assume the best so we are not going to specify a concrete date until there is absolute certainty.

Unfortunately major features do take time, and major features will be the highlights of all the updates we are planning before v1.0. Apologies for the wait, but we hope it will be worth it!

Table of Contents
Major New Features
Tech
Game

v0.9.1

[Major New Features]

• Raider camps are now generated on the map. These nefarious foes will readily plunder your fledgling settlement, but you will have the opportunity to wipe them off the map to postpone future raids and earn some loot in the process. Oh, how the tables have turned! This feature requires rolling a new map as raider camps cannot be generated retroactively.
  • Crypts have been added to the game. These hallowed buildings allow you to respectfully store hundreds of your town’s deceased in a much smaller space.
  • Droughts can now occur, which prevents rainfall and damages crop harvests. Certain crops are more resistant to drought conditions.
  • Different Map types now have different weather. For example dryer (ex. Arid) maps more likely to experience droughts, blizzards are more likely in Alpine maps, etc.

Back to Table of Contents

[Tech]

• You can now manually set the display monitor for the game in the video settings.
  • Debug information has been added for the villagers stuck issue. If you experience this issue and a message appears on your screen, please send us the log that was generated!
  • Villagers now stop retreating when the threat is killed (ex. a villager fleeing from a bear will stop and return to work if the bear is killed, rather than retreating across town first).
  • Fixed an issue where building placement tooltips could overlap the building…placement.
  • Fixed an issue where occupation slots would become empty and could not be filled.
  • Fixed an issue where hunters can get stuck in a loop with traps.
  • Fixed an issue where herders would not perform any tasks besides herding.
  • Fixed an issue where production buildings would restock when there was only space for a couple additional items despite there being enough materials to produce goods.
  • Fixed an issue where production limits would disable desirability effects on buildings (ex. Bakery).
  • Fixed an issue where preserves were not preventing scurvy.
  • Fixed an issue where villagers would continue to retreat after the threat was dealt with.
  • Fixed an issue where hunters would sometimes retreat from a wounded boar.
  • Fixed an issue where raid notifications may show inaccurate raider counts.
  • Fixed an issue where raiders could telepathically attack buildings at a distance when dealing with sheer cliffs.
  • Fixed an issue with wounded villagers continuing to perform tasks.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple Guild Halls and Temples could be placed.

[Game]

• Increased population growth in 700+ population towns.
  • Increased Spirituality generation from Temples, Shrines, and Altars.
  • Villagers now have a chance to die during childbirth, based on Healthcare Adversity difficulty. This risk is reduced by a Healer’s House.
  • Lookout Tower guards are now in stasis and remain in their post without the need to stock.
  • Villagers now resume their regular tasks sooner than soldiers/guards when given manual move commands.
  • Soldiers and Guards now have priority over hunters for grabbing weapons.
  • The Annual Report now has a keybind.
  • A new tutorial has been added for low builders.

[Buildings]

• Birth rates in Barns now scale with number of Herders, based on the size of the herd. Having insufficient herders to maintain your herds can result in reduced birth rates.
  • Cows can now go rogue and seek out nearby unfenced crops.

15 Likes

I will happily wait if it means things are more ironed out and more features. W update.

4 Likes

Thank you for the update! Very much looking forward to the playtest and beyond!

1 Like

Thanks @Zantai appreciate the updated information - awesome job by you devs, support here is better during early access of Farthest Frontier than other games that have already been released. Cheers!

1 Like

So just to clarify, is the October timing you mentioned referring to the release of the playtest branch, or the full release of the patch? (Or is the playtest still expected sometime this week, with the full patch expected later in Oct?). Thanks!

1 Like

cool feature. making it more realistic. keep it up

Thanks as always for keeping us all informed and engaged. This has been one of the best-run Early Access experiences I’ve had in years.

Curses on you for keeping me from starting a new game because I want to try out the new Raider’s Camps and drought effects!

2 Likes

这个0.91版本什么时候可以上线呢能在10月底之前上线吗,还有上次不是说要增加新的兵种和可养殖的动物吗什么时间可以落实

My best guess - since putting 0.9.1 on to the playtest branch has been postponed before - would be, that they wont make September with the playtest. But, since 0.9.1 is still sheduled for somewhen in October (in early access), they will try and put this on the playtest branch some time after October 1st. “Sooner than later” might mean that we will probably see this (on the playtest branch) before mid of the month, but who knows.

Not today either. Oh well.

Tomorrow. It’s always tomorrowtm. :slight_smile:

tomorrow never comes

1 Like

It creeps at this petty pace from day to day . . .

2 Likes

So, happens that my SSD died the other day (bummer, lots of data lost) and I have been offline longer than I thought I would be able to without playing a game of Farthest Frontier in the evening. Since for some strange reason steam did not manage to save my latest games in the cloud, it seems I am forced to start over again with a new settlement. Now, wouldnt this be a good point to download a new beta build and go looking for some raider camps?

Beta build has not yet released, and all that’s been said about release date is a general “sooner than later” in October, so could be tomorrow, could be in 2 weeks :laughing:

Woooo, edge scroll disabling made it into the patch notes!

2 Likes

Since October has 31 days, “sooner than later” can take as long as the morning of the 15th and still be correct. There is still hope

Playtest is up!

Is there anything special I need to do to participate in the playtest (other than create a Crate account)? Usually my game will be automatically updated in Steam but it’s still running v9.0a

Sorry - nevermind. Found the instructions. Not fully awake…need more coffee…

2 Likes

Thank you for the message, confirmed! Since the Devs did not tell us, and because i am on a fresh steam installation, I would not have noticed otherwise.

On a different subject, how can you stop the screen flashing at “drought” periods? Thats extremely annoying and too long and too bright, it should rather be an item notification like the heat periods.

1 Like