V1.1.6.0 Itemization Discussion

(Referencing venomlance)

Ranged 2-handed acid ABB already has 2 weapons with mods, the last thing it needs is a 3rd. Ranged acid 2-handed RF, on the other hand, has no item mod support. I have a ranged RF dervish that works relatively well with venomlance, but I wouldn’t be opposed to a little nudge in the buffed direction :wink:

1 Like

:scorv::zantai:

3 Likes

Having like 30% Acid -> Phys on this item would be good to convert the poison damage on RE to Physical; I think that build still needs some help. A further increase of the flat Physical damage to RE would be welcome too.
Another idea is to change the +2 to the individual skills to +3, because that final point to cap RE tends to be elusive.

Mythical Earthsplitter does not seem worthwhile. I think it should lose the FW stuff and add some bonuses to RF. Physical RF doesn’t really have any legendary weapons or a MI to represent it, so having a good skill modifier for it (total damage, leech, AS) could make it an option over Warborn Gavel or a Mutant Bludgeon.

2 Likes

@sigatrev: i tried making a cold beastcaller ritualist using winter king, bysmiel rings, chillmane ammy, and ghol gloves but the results were terrible.

i don’t know enough about pets, but could winterking be bugged?

EDIT: you also can’t give WK CDR because it’ll then out perform soulrend. Maybe a flat CDR bonus to primal spirit?

That would kill it’s potential as a DEE nuke enabler.

isn’t it possible to get perfect phys/acid conversion with targo helm + MI belt?

1 Like

Assuming you mean global, that’d kinda clash with the DEE Phys > Acid mod and result in a big multi-way mess of conversions. :stuck_out_tongue:

Atm, Corruptian’s DEE side seems like it’s supposed to support a %WD kinda thing, so…why not roll with the theme and also have Corruptian give Ravenous Earth a tiny bit of %WD? Due to the Vit > Phys RE mod, vitality RE builds presumably wouldn’t want to use Corruptian anyway, so I assume it wouldn’t compete directly with Pandemic at least.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Agreed here too, would love to see some global Physical->Cold pet conversion on it.

Do other weapons/setups not work better for making DEE into an Acid/Poison nuke though?

1 Like

@Evil_Baka Not if superfluff’s tests are to be trusted. Short of running a double rare MI, it’s hard to beat 4% CDR + DoT mod from corruptian

1 Like

I was looking at the 100% Physical->Acid mod to DEE as that seems like one of the most confusing additions to it following it’s buff.

As for Poison, what about the full set proc on Dreeg’s set for instance, or would you run Corruptian on DW alongside it or something. I feel like I’m missing something here as it doesn’t look that powerful compared to existing alternatives.

I think corruptian works best on the rotgheist sentinel as you’ll convert IT damage from presence of virtue

EDIT: @Evil_Baka I still think the base weapon damage should be acid like most other weapons just so it won’t be unnecessarily gimped when spamming something like biting blades or acid purge

1 Like

If Acid->Physical damage was more readily available or had more variety, I’d be ok with this as there is still the Physical RE aspect of it to consider (as wacky as it is).

The thing about phys RE is that each projectile is gimped by enemy armor. It’s a catch-22

Either you try and stack sufficient conversion + flat damage damage on each projectile, or you focus on getting much needed %phys damage.

In both scenarios, even if using a +5 to RE BoM, it is impossible to find enough skill points for you to 23/16 RE for that final projectile.

@shadowpast & co. may very well have cracked this puzzle. I would LOVE to see the GT if you guys are willing to share. Of course, you can always PM me should you wish to keep it private.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNY5Q1XN

I’m not sure how rare the off-hand is, but I don’t think it’s too difficult to get the helm + belt

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I wasn’t thinking about the Acid/DEE aspect of the weapon since other weapons are outright better for that. I dunno, for that reason I think it’s better off if the DEE part was converted to Physical as well.
As for belt, the Deadly Means one tends to be important because it has a +3 to RE and other bonuses suitable for the build.

I think the small/fast hits of RE probably clashes with the armor, physical resist you have to get through so the damage output isn’t impressive as it is right now.

The WD% to RE sounds like a good suggestion as well.

2 Likes

It’s an inherent problem with Physical but it’s arguably better having the projectiles be full sized globs of damage than smaller bits of flat damage that are more likely to be absorbed.

Edit: Actually, since it’s damage converted from Vitality, would it be effected by armour? I vaguely remember someone mentioning recently that Grim Dawn’s coding is made so converted Physical doesn’t adhere to it. Found it: Worst EoR damage.

If Corruptian went from +2 to RE to +3 like @Weyu suggested way up, it’d be possible. Let me go dig an old meme out of my pile.

Using Targo’s helm just for the conversion irks me here because you’re not getting anything else useful out of it - the +1 to mastery bonuses are useless when you want as many as you can get to RE as it’s a naturally unsupported concept and the CDR can be gotten elsewhere. In any attempts I tried putting Physical RE together on a caster, I always went for Ravager’s Dreadgaze instead.

If forced to try and make phys RE work, I would personally run a DW targo with corruptian and use RE as supplemental damage for cadence.

BTW, might be worth one-pointing decay in your spec. IIRC, %damage bonus from the skill-line is applied prior to conversion

adding onto this, there are so many cool possibilities for poison casters in the game, especially if we look at this:

But every attempt on theorycrafting dies the moment it comes to itemization.
It would be a great idea to add a few +skill points to something like Venomlash for devastation or TSS (maybe with some transmuters and +acid damage) or just open a few more possibilities for spam DEE. Warlock would be just such an awesome class for poison casters, both visually and thematically!

Been told several times that physical damage, gained by conversion, does not pass armor.

actually i was thinking about a bloodknight ritualist with soul harvest+vit savagery, if you are going to change this item pls leave the vit savagery part in its place.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZobnklV

If you want to try vitality savagery, try this. It’s more of a hybrid, but it’s capable of sub 6 minutes crucible. It should perform better than Bloodrender.

drop legend is too big, add afixes and prefixes to legendary items

Word of Solael

Actually about to drop a build that uses Vitality Grenado, so played with this item quite a lot.

My feedback, item with such niche modes like Vitality Grenado should have +to all skills in that mastery, in this instance, to Demolitionist. Reason: it’s extremely hard to build Vitality Defiler as it is (can’t take Shieldbreaker because Path of the Three screws our Fire to Vitality conversion), and feeding skill points into such a skill points hungry skill as Grenado leaves us with no skill points for essential stuff like Blast Shield or Vindictive Flame or Ulzuin’s Chosen.

Suggestion: add +1 skills to Demolitionist.

I think it should be the rule for amulets/main-hands/off-hands that give gimmicky mods like this, they must have +1 to this mastery to make those gimmicky builds possible. Because there is really no itemization around Vitality Demolitionist except Blightlord set and Mark of Burning Shadows medal.

2 Likes