V1.1.9.2 Discussion

No Reduced Target’s Resistances either I believe (or I’m blind)?
That might be too much even for a meme :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Considering how ridiculously easy it is to get a good single rare single magic MI shield, that beats all other alternatives easily, by just vendor farming steelcap, Zolhan’s Revenge feels like an absolute meme item with 0%phys res and even more so with a lot of its retal dmg locked behind menhir’s will activation, which makes it even worse especially on HC. I agree that it needs at least 10% to be considered a viable option and maybe some of its phys retal moved from mehir’s will to some other more reliable/permanent skill.

Would be dope!

With the amount of power that a shield adds to any retal build (both offensively and defensively) and the nerfs to jaxxon’s, the retal part of Hellborne really needs to buff imo.

found the facebook builder

2 Likes

Go ahead, enjoy yourself…belittle other members of the community for your amusement. So sorry I don’t live up to your standard of character building. Are you feeling good about yourself yet?

1 Like

not a critic, just trying to understand - and snarky as heck :laughing:

anyway’s like tqFan mentioned it has no flat either, and as i see it the build already has bare minimum attack speed, tho you do have a 75% converted EoR so that’ts nice
just seemed to me that there was so much potential dmg to be gained from the “missing” rr it made me wonder if the sources of sustain couldn’t be found elsewhere “on the way” (i’m totally a fan of korvaak myself btw :+1:)
likewise ishtaak seems kinda puzzling to me, when it doesn’t have 100% uptime, and LoE does + results in a bigger dmg “draw”, so on appearance it just seemed highly defensive to me, and as a build that might never have run into ex Maiden :grimacing: (Ch’thon forbid :crossed_fingers:)
^basically i’m trying to absorb as much foreign “reasoning”, while i’m being all “pokey jokey” because i just can’t act normal :blush:

bring back Lightning no Widow meta ! :metal:

That’s the real challenge; finishing game with Lightning PS Warder without Widow and Wind Devils, like I did with my first character, I still hate warders :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Light of Empyrion doesn’t make sense for the build since the DR it provides is already surpassed by Soulfire which is up 100 % of the time and at greater radius. Its final four nodes pre-proc node are no less defensive than Ishtak while its devo proc seems less worthwhile than 25 % absorb, however intermittent. Ishtak definitely wasn’t the goal of the build, but since I felt I should go for Tree of Life anyway, I already had what was needed to take Ishtak as well.

As for “bare minimum attack speed”, if 174% is bare minimum, you should see what happens when you switch to two handed without god rolls – which, BTW is what my suggestion was about, not sure why we’re suddenly dissecting my DW version build instead. If that build seems bad to you, sure it can be improved. You can slap on Combustion Bands for more attack speed and RR, drop Ishtak and squeeze in Witchfire. But I’d wager none of the improvements you’d make to the build would include changing it to two-handed, since that ends up making the build considerably worse. That was my point.

3 Likes

totally right, completely spaced on Soulfire getting that dmg reduct

not at all, like i said, trying to learn as much i can from other people’s heads/their thinking

wouldn’t even know, as far as i “know” there exists 2 2h eor builds, chaos and vit, anything else, ex Dreegalnore, seems crazy :sweat_smile:

Without wanting to discuss your build further for various reasons, I can definitely agree with you that 2h EoR is generally weaker than 1h and that is mostly due to EoR scaling very well with attack speed and 1h/dw having naturally higher AS than 2h.

Kraken is getting more AS next patch and while that will help 2h overall, I still don’t see that being enough of a buff for 2h EoR in specific (apart from chaos and vitality).

In the end it all comes down to design and by design the best way to play fire EoR seems to be dw alladrah’s and before that even dw riftclaws probably beat all 2handers (with a well rolled sunherald being the only exception on warlords).

The one archetype where to me personally it’s kinda weird that a 2hander is not on par with 1h is lightning EoR. The problem here is that alvaric’s rebuke is an epic and epics never have skill modifiers, which is why they very often fall behind MIs or legendaries. Giving alvaric’s (at least the mythical version) a good amount of attack speed could help close the gap a bit.

1 Like

See? Wasn’t that hard providing valuable feedback without being an ass about it, was it?

As for why 1h/dw do so much better on EoR than two-handed, I don’t think it’s just a matter of attack speed but rather the distribution of direct support for EoR across items. Even if you were to bruteforce some extra attack speed on two-handed builds, that still won’t compensate for 1h/dw having both the attack speed and direct EoR support. There are so many 1-handed items, even a shield (!) with direct EoR support and modifiers while 2h is limited to 3 items, all of which are very prohibitive due to conversions. I’d wager even if you were to slap 22 % AS on Alvarick’s, Kymon’s Sanctified Blades would end up leagues better just for the %WD modifier and complete conversion.

For the record, I didn’t mind a single bit of your feedback at all, no need to explain yourself :slight_smile: It’s Protoss’ attitude that I didn’t appreciate in the slightest.

2 Likes

I’d say that it’s more that once people find a formula that “works,” then they try to funnel everything else into that same formula to the point where skills become carbon copies of each other.

• AAR used to be a super-damaging beam that could delete things quickly, but people complained that it was too glassy, so now AAR now has leech (which makes it different from Drain Essence how?)
  • Stun Jacks was also a super single-target ability that was unique from the others, but again people complained that it needed leech, so now it’s just a lesser-performing Phantasmal Blades.
  • Each damage type has a unique devotion path that should be looked at to see how to best combine offense and defense, but now everything demands to be converted from Vitality so one can get lots of passive leech.
  • Shields were improved this patch in helping bolster single skills (Bonewall for Sigil of Consumption being the main example), but they still do not provide enough defense so that it makes a difference against Grava / Alex / Reaper.
  • Flat damage absorption used to be great in the AoM era, but now monsters hit much harder than they did before, so now we’re discussing if Seal is worth it in most builds; and there’s no real way of knowing the sweet spot of flat absorption value so that we could tell if devotions like Phoenix or equipment like Runeguard Boots that have absorption procs are really pulling their weight or if it’s a placebo effect.
  • “Why doesn’t Arcanist have 50 RR?”

I could go on, but there’s definitely an escalation between making the monsters harder and making builds more damaging that leaves everything else in the dust. Making naked Crucible the meta instead of a fun side option like it is now doesn’t do anything for the “top-tier” players (who are already doing naked Crucible runs), but crushes the dreams of everyone else who wants to make their own builds complete what Crate is offering as a challenge, even if it uses an off-meta skill / class / items.

9 Likes

this
i think it’s also important to remember, that even regarding something as Cruci there is segment of us “filthy casuls” and regular beginner joes not on the forum that maybe enjoy cruci, “learning the ropes”; or just getting splendors before they can handle SR
there are people that prefer Cruci to SR, regardless of farming efficiency, but because of the way the format is, regardless of they build quality type or clearing 170 or doing 150-170 in sub 8

it’s a different beast from MC, and SR despite how the chunks are, and even if the unknown unvoiced casuls or newcommers don’t exactly participate in any poll readings of how cruci feels, i think it’s important to remember the potential “silent minority” that possibly like the Cruci trip, step by step through the ropes

stripping loot, “forcing” a naked meta, etc etc brings changes that doesn’t only affect elite builders and top runners

No struggles I guess you mean that grava and IM in sr75+ is easy peasy? Takes 5 min to kill them?

Make Siphon Souls decent !!! I have tried a few different setups with this skill, which is right up the top of the Necro tree, and it is just meh. If it went off faster of had a larger AoE or legit did something / anything that would be great.

it gets a 7.5m radius at 12pts, and as far as i’m aware it’s as instant as OFF
lotta main dmg type necro items give bonus point to siphon soul, making it basically a free source of OA shred for a build that has just a couple of spare points, to the point i basically always 1pt each node on any necro and 3on aether necros
-that’s ofc aside form the numerious (weird) modifiers to siphon souls, like RR https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/skill-modifiers/2141

1 Like

Balance is essence part of every RPG, so does GD. I prefer call it “making underpowered and nearly useless/rarely picked skills into good ones”. Diffirent builds still visible with diffirent power. Like from 4 mins to 8 mins Cru. Just less struggling between builds. And Crate team do it very well.

Somehow this topic is slowly spiralling into usual “elitist supress casual players with their whining” (which is a laughably absurd concept if you think about it). Did i start it somehow? I’m sorry. But let’s get back to some concrete feedback, please?

I forgot to add some points:

• Flat base of some weapons deserves a pass.
  1. Traditionally 2H maces in aRPGs have very high base dmg spread, and i always wondered why? From realistic stand point blunt weapons, on the countrary, were always used as a stable source of internal damage. Look at Avenger’s Crusher. If this thing hits you in the torso, how can it do 150 or 800 dmg with the same hit? This concept was carried on through years of aRPGs into GD and i’d like to propose a change for it and reduce the spread drastically, at least on weapons that look like consistent damage dealers.
    Not only it’s more realistic, it would help the state of 2H melee weapons because the consistency of dmg (and leech) output is vital for a melee build.

2. I’d like to see much higher base dmg on ranged weapons instead of ranged being solely carried by mechanic abuse of ES+Brimstone or Upheaval. I’m not that big of a fan of ranged playstyle but i would really like to play as a sharpshooter, with devastating single target shots, as ranged should be tbh. But now i just can’t. Yesterday we tried a physical Paladin RF shooter with all possible conversions and flat. And compared to any FS it was just pure misery despite pass through.

• If possible, would really like knockdown mechanic reworked such as it would knock the enemies down, not knock them back 5 miles away from where they can safely proceed to debuff you. I understand that some people like this CC but i think we all can agree that it kinda serves as a free retreat for monsters.
    Same for confusion. Countrary to the description, monsters are often not “confused” but rather they just simply run away. Again, free retreat for an enemy, feels very unfair.
14 Likes

I recently got in to the endgame in Grim Dawn and reached 100lvl on HC I’m super happy to start my second step to chisel my characters gear. There are quite few venues to do that: Crucible, Totem hunting, general farming routes for bosses and Shattered Realms.

Shattered realms seem to be quite challenging, but their rewards are very lacking :frowning: That’s quite disappointing … Can Shattered realms get a buff in their drops?

SR is the best place for loot once you make it to shards 50 and higher. Also for farming don’t run more than 2 shards. Ultimate 50-51, 55-56, 60-61, 65-66, 70-71, 75-76 can all be used for farming gear. Elite 65-66, 70-71, 75-76 can be pretty good too afaik. Which one is the most efficient for you depends on your build and your personal playstyle and whether you are HC or SC.

However SR requires you to grind the first 50 shards for little to no loot and I think I speak for many people when I say that this part is quite the slogfest.

Crate could compress the scaling of shards with a 1:3 or 2:3 ratio imo and it’d feel more rewarding for people to grind say 5 shards per session and reach the “good shards for farming” quicker. After this compression each waystone would have either only 1 or 2 checkpoints instead of 3 and the equivalent of what is now shard 50 would then be shard 20 or shard 35.

8 Likes

the calc - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/vNQMQqvN
3 consecutive 5.30, abyssmal aoe damage, decentish solo target.

Sorry about spamming but i’m remembering stuff as i go.

Vanquisher set absolutely needs 4set bonus reworked.

Here is CT build i’ve made with it: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/1NXw9AgZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grEr5-89OuQ
Here is Vire’s Might build: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZoylBG2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_WJvpDoVVM&t=7s

Both are ok. You can notice both have the set broken. Point being the items are ok on their own, especially for the corresponding skills. But the full bonus… i just don’t know who would go for it.

1 Like