V1.1.9.8 Discussion

Since this topic was ignored by devs (or not, according to Fleshwarped Casque buff), it seems that base War Cry is going to stay non-useful without specific items. Well, at least look at one of them - Krieg’s Mask.

Its -1 sec modifier is just not enough to warrant picking it over mentioned Fleshwarped Casque, even 5p Krieg set offers nothing amazing (just some flat Aether Damage, flat RR to Reckless Power - which is easy to get from other sources and thematical, but lame Krieg’s Wrath :expressionless:). I have two ideas:

1. Change current modifier for War Cry to -3 sec for Krieg’s Mask to put it in line with alternatives;
  2. Or add -2 sec modifier for War Cry to 5p set bonus so that taking full Krieg would be an option.

As a bonus - please consider increasing flat RR duration on Krieg’s Wrath to 5 sec to match its cooldown. As of right now it looks redundant.

7 Likes

Brought this up late in the last patch cycle, the itemization and “why” around pistol and shield is really limited right now, and without introducing mechanics or new WPS that I think are outside of scope, it’s basically just buffing some numbers to the moon. Some of the items saw buffs but those were effectively negated by rebuke and other flat sources being toned down slightly near the end of patch as well.

The only 20%-1% results range gun and shield builds right now leverage Stronghold set

• has set wps that’s a shotgun, so full projectiles with single gun
  • shotgun wps work great with firestrike brimstone spam (but not very well with other AAs without passthrough)
  • has big flat stack on shield, belt, and set bonus to bridge the gap of only one weapon

and even this only has great results when going firestrike purifier or shieldbreaker. Paladins are definitely a tier lower

At this stage of the game I don’t know what kind of identity could be carved out. More shield wps would be welcomed by all but none of them work on ranged anyway. In theory you trade off the damage of a 2 hander with the defense of a shield, but in practice killing faster wins out for both offense and defense, especially since most classes can’t take advantage of a shield defensively beyond the listed stats (and that’s mostly phys res anyway).

Simplest approach is probably tossing the aforementioned horse steroid damage numbers on the ranged shields (wrathguard, watcher) and couple of medals that specifically support gun+shield and call it a day. Maybe a recolored WPS on a shield or medal since gun and shield is also locked out of the item WPS options. Or more defense on the gun bonuses on those shields to make them immortal but slow

In fact I couldn’t agree more with @Gnomish_Inquisition at the end of your topic.
Let’s make the DR uptime while keeping RR untouched!

4 Likes

I would like to see Templar with Rutnick’s Blasters be made viable, right now this is the best build I could come up with and the damage is incredibly lackluster Templar, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator . I would suggest adding an IEE modifier to the weapon alongside RF bonuses. The WPS on it also seems really weak.

Another build I’ve always struggled to get right is melee vitality Trickster. This is the best I could come up with, but the damage is always really low. Trickster, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.6) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator . Skill points are also an issue. Maybe add pierce to vitality conversion to some gear, add bonuses to all skills to both Bloodrender and Death Omen and add vitality damage % to Massacre relic.

Also I have been asking this for a while, but I would like to see fire → cold conversions for Thermite Mines added to both the Rimetongue and Harra sets, solely for aesthetic purposes. They’re the only thing that look out of place during gameplay.

Finally, something to add about balancing going forward: There’s plenty of gear that need buffs but wont ever show up in a grimtools link, because they’re so weak they can’t even be used for anything. Some niche items like Arcanum Electrollis could be given interesting modifiers to open up new build possibilities, which is what I want the most from GD updates.

2 Likes

So here are a few of my builds that have issues i belive :

Blightlord Oppressor:

I made a topic for this recently, and even though i improved it a bit with some devotion tweaks, -as with most cooldown casters in GD which i don’t play much- this build needs sustain. I never understood the health regen nerf, it was never even remotely OP and it is extremely hard to build and it could be a great alternative for sustain on certain characters. One character i have with HP/regen -a Mortar Purifier- is very fun.

TLDR : I would like either Ravenous Earth or Guardians to have lifesteal, also RE spawn animation is too long in my opinion. Starts firing too late.

EDIT : Also i would like to ask (i might be wrong) isnt this just inferior version of Vitality RE / Guardian Oppressor with Pandemic? You can have 1.4 sec cooldown RE with +1 sec duration and you can have 5 Guardians with Word of Solael off-hand with vitality version.

Vitality Primal Strike Ritualist:

This is simply the most squishy build i’ve ever played in my life. I’ve tried to plan this several times in past -a Vit PS character with Rotgheist set- and always failed to make a decent looking one until this. This one i could barely manage to overcap resists and have decentish OA (had to dump Cunning) and stun res only thanks to my lucky Serenity and Gloves. Still has no phys res or any kind of absorbtion.

The squishiness of this build is next-level, died instantly twice to Ramzul on SR 65 (literally one-shotted) as my first SR experience. Not sure what can be done here but Rotgheist set might use some heavy buffs like Deathguard set maybe.

DW Melee Cold Reaper:

Here is an experimental build of mine with 2 Spectral Battle Axes, which should have been performing much better than it is currently i belive. Has great damage but not as crazy as i expected (A lot of other builds with much less WPS points can deal higher numbers). While this is not as bad as the PS build above, this build was also crazy squishy. Was an instant bummer as soon as i started SR65 like that one. I could barely manage to get ok OA with this as well.

Honestly i don’t know what could be done with this build without bloating those cold items with stats, but one can hope.

1 Like

You need 1 point in Celestial Presence for the rr from the hood and the amulet to be effective. Build should be a lot better with just that adjustment.

4 Likes

I would like to figure out some environment issue. I suggest to nerf ALL healer monsters in SR, probably by adding a healing penalty, for the reasons below:

1. Players’ damage is higher in CR than in SR, because we have buffs and towers/banners.
  2. Monsters’ health is about 150% higher in SR75-76 than in CR, making the 24%/80% health restored rediculous in SR.

These result that in CR, it’s easy to kill the enemies before their second healing while in SR it’s very hard.

Particularly, the groups below should be paid more attention to:

Group 1: Ounasteria Stormtouch Electrified, Hagras Aetherflame, Pavros Undylon Flamespeaker, Ullana Everfreeze Frozen, Torraxsteria

Monsters in this group always appears in packs of 3 or 4 (except Torraxsteria). They always heal each other, and they buff each other with incredible damage absorption and elemental resistance. What’s more, they even wear gears! It’s very hard to kill even one of them if you are playing an elemental build or a build with lower damage (Retal builds included because these enemies are all mages).

Group 2:Tilkanax Timewarped, Tilkinux Timewarped, Akanax, Hallanax Supporter, Vlakinux, Arkinux, Halganux Supporter

Monsters in this group always appears in packs of 3 or more as well. All of them have a 25% damage reduction skill. All of them could buff each other with very high elemental and physical resist. They are very hard to kill. What’s more, they either have very strong slowing skills or Vire’s Might, making it very hard to flee from them.

I remember that early in v1.1.6.x to v1.1.8.x, there are not as many healer monsters as now in SR. Now these healer enemies are overflowing. I suggest limiting these disgusting s**t.

10 Likes

This guy pointed out the biggest problem in the entire game. Healer packs in SR’s are complete and utter non-sense. Every nemesis spawns with an army of healers behind them as well.

8 Likes

Definitely a +1 from me. I suggested the same a couple patches ago.

4 Likes

If you wish to help us achieve our goals, please share your personal experience with builds and provide your results! Let’s see what 2023 brings to Grim Dawn.

Okay then! I have little interest in mastery or buffs, though I think I did once hear my following suggestion irked you in the past. Apologies if so, and apologies if not.

I think games like this get longevity out of the support and passion, which is certainly here, but that goes for the other devs… the modders too… There are some great mods here that I think should potentially be defacto implemented, if people want. That would do a service to people who really helped made the game for so many people, and to your game for years to come. But either way, I think the two mod limitation should be done away with.

And yes I mean the usual suspects, such as Grim Internals, Rainbow Colours, maybe Grim UI, maybe a cam mod. Plus xbox fans can enjoy the glory too!

You might think, people are entitled to use them anyway. But maybe not in an update or two where they are potentially EOL and incompatible, and the modders have burnout.

I’d also suggest mod compatibility with crucible. This is the bit I’m sure I heard you were dead against once, when I was trying to get mod compatability between Grim Internals and Grim UI (and succeeded by encouraging the collaboration/discussion, which our main lady amply fixed; my greatest contribution I’ll make here, no doubt :heart_eyes: ).

I am aware that there is now of course a GI “fix” for using it with Grim UI, but it’s not completely bug free, and prone to update failures.

As somebody with ADHD, these thee mods are absolute godsends, and I doubt I’d play this incredible game if not for the leeway they gave me. Stats boggle me, but these mods absolutely alleviated what for me is a completely debilitating ailment.

Cheers for the good times so far. Please consider again to let people mod at will into the future!

1 Like

I tried it and it is still very slow even with that change

I’ve been finding that Witch Hunter Chaos SS struggles with RR compared to other similar builds.
For instance:

• Rah’Zin gets -25% from the set and usually wants the Harbinger head over Ember’s Calling
  • Builds that don’t need the conduit can use an amulet for -8% to -15%
  • Ember’s Calling get a nice -28% from the set

If you use Rah’Zin or Ember’s Calling on Chaos SS your SS level is way too low.

Virtually all chaos builds that can use 1h melee want a Fang of Ch’thon for the RR, but Chaos SS really needs it because it doesn’t have a lot of other options.

I think maybe moving some more of the Chaos RR from Ember’s Calling to the helmet would go a long way for helping here. You’d get more options opening up for melee weapons (Voidspires, more Bloodlord’s Blade’s, etc.) and you’d make up some of the RR difference.

The RR deficiency is really noticeable with resist modifiers in SR, and trading out a second Bloodlord’s Blade for a Fang hurts the smoothness and speed of the build a bunch, since it’s already missing flat cooldown reduction on SS from items and can’t max out Nidalla’s Justifiable Ends.

2 Likes

Just one word…Markovian XD.

3 Likes

There is no “two mod” limitation imposed by Crate. The game can only run one mod at a time. You are confusing 3rd party TOOLS, like Grim Internals… and MODS, like GrimUI.

3rd party tools primarily operate outside the game and are made with various programming languages (chosen by the programmers preferences) while mods operate inside the game and are often implemented with the games own provided modding tools. Real GD mods can only be run once they are selected in the custom game menu and loaded.

These are two distinct categories of mods and is likely the reason for your confusion about there being some arbitrary two mod limit. Which there isn’t.

It is worth noting that both Grim Internals and GrimUI kinda blur the tools/mods distinctions I noted above, as some tools and mods dabble a little in both these areas. While you can indeed say that all these things “mod” the game, how they primarily go about it strongly determines (as far as GD is concerned) whether it is a mod or a tool.

3rd party tools have no limit to how many can be used or run, provided they don’t conflict with anything else being used. Tools generally provide functionality that the game doesn’t, often providing the ability to cheat or edit various parameters or add some other functionality not available inside the game normally. GD Stash is a good clear example of a 3rd party tool.

In-game mods carry the limitation that only one can be used at a time BUT they can be used in conjunction with as many tools as you like PROVIDED the tools are compatible with the mod etc. Mods are made almost exclusively with the game’s modding tools and usually add new content, like masteries, skills, maps/locations, items and so on. Good examples of mods are Dawn of Masteries (DoM) or Grimarillion, Nydiamar and so on. It is possible to merge multiple mods together so long as the person doing so knows what they are doing.

* edited for clarity on some points *

2 Likes

Mr. Z, please, for a love of God, make wind devils to be a permanent pets.

It’s such a chore gameplay when you need to recast them over, over, and over again, and they feel SO MUCH better with a items like codex of eternal storms that gives them infinite life expectancy.

So, would you kindly?

4 Likes

You’ve answered your own question.

3 Likes

Also the OP said no mechanical changes for existing skills.

I would understand when they are temporary for builds who use them as damage sources, but for those who use them for RR only (which is most builds) it is simply a chore, an extra button that is unfun to cast. Usually builds who need it for RR have many other buttons so it is an annoyance. Wish there were some transmuter that made them permanent at the cost of something.

Wind Devils is one of the big reasons i would rather try to pick Oathkeeper (passive elemental RR) as support class -if i can- instead of Shaman.

4 Likes

I made a thread in Ideas section but like to mention this here as well anyway, cause i find it important so i copy paste here :

Black Blood of Yugol devotion pet moves extremely slow and it’s a bit unreliable for a Damage reduction source. It only has 16% damage reduction anyway and also spawn upon getting hit.

I suggest a noticeable increase to it’s movespeed and increase its chance to spawn to 50%.

4 Likes

Is it just me but I feel like aether Drain Essence is getting too weak at LV 50+ without Uroboruuk’s set (which you could only wear at LV90s) even with all its skills maxed out and with decent gears and constellations to support it.
I always feel like aether Drain Essence deals too low damage,
leeches too low health (compare to how much damage late-game enemies deal).

1 Like