What are you doing? Visual examples of skills

Preface:
So I first thought of making a post like this upon trying out the Necromancer skill Siphon Souls and realizing it triggered around my character, instead of targeting the ground like the skill Sigil of Consumption. I then saw someone on Reddit ask for a resource such as this and nobody knew of an existing one. So what I’m trying to do is take screenshot(s) of each skill to help visualize what you’re doing. I didn’t include any skills that are merely weapon attacks (e.g. Execute from Nightblade or Smite from Oathkeeper) but if I missed something that should be included here let me know.

:point_down: Click each class header to see skills :point_down:

SOLDIER

Forcewave
A shockwave shoots forward from your character. If you add points to Rending Force, the wave will travel even further.

Blade Arc
Swipe directly in front of your character, able to hit multiple enemies.

Blitz
Charge towards your enemy. Note that my character started at the beginning of the smoketrail and quickly reaches the target. Blindside allows additional enemies to be hit.

Blitz

War Cry
Hits all enemies around your character.

Counterstrike
Note that you don’t need to trigger this ability, beyond enabling it. (All abilities with a square are this way, abilities with a circle such as Military Conditioning are passive) I’m just including it to show what happens. My character is standing still and zombie is being damaged (or in this case obliterated) when it attacked me.

DEMOLITIONIST

Stun Jacks
Toss out multiple jacks in front of you. Note that they will explode on their own shortly after landing if they don’t hit an enemy. Full Spread allows more jacks to be thrown (see second photo) and slightly increases area of effect (+0.3 radius)

Flashbang
Tosses out projectile. Explodes upon hitting enemies/ground.

Vindictive Flame / Ulzuin’s Wrath
So Vindictive Flame is aura around you, note that Ulzuin’s Wrath will send these bolts out to zap your enemies

Grenado
Similar to flashbang, sends out a projectile and explodes upon hitting enemy/ground.

Canister Bomb
Yet another projectile. Note in the second picture though that this fragments out after the initial explosion, more points will allow more fragments.

Blackwater Cocktail
Demolitionists love their projectiles. Note that this lights the ground on fire for continuous affect. Second photo is 2.5m radius with 1 point, third photo shows with extra +1.5m radius due to High Potency. Fourth photos shows softcap of 12/12 for 5.8m radius.

(Fire Strike) Explosive Strike / Brimstone
Explosive Strike causes a small radius explosion when hit an enemy, Brimstone actually has fragments come off of the hit enemy to hit other monsters.

Thermite Mine
3 mines are placed at once, with up to 2 activations (6 total mines) out at once. You can activate it again, causing the first 3 mines to disappear. Note that for most of Grim Dawn, these were tossed out as a projectile which then deployed the 3 mines… now they are instantly placed for both quicker and more accurate arrangment (if you haven’t tried them since that update, give them another chance!) The second photo shows the Hellfire Mine enhancement.

Mortar Trap
A mortar launcher is placed on the ground, which then begins firing into the air at enemies. In first photo, the trap is nearer my character with the first mortar landing beyond the zombie. Second photo shows they can reach quite a distance (that’s probably not even the maximum range) Third photo shows enhanced with The Big One, which results in larger radius explosion. Note that Heavy Ordnance also affects the radius, helping the mortars to hit enemies.

OCCULTIST

Curse of Frailty
Debuffs any enemies within radius of target. Note that you do not have to “hit” an enemy, I clicked in the space between the enemies and both have debuff symbol over their heads.

Dreeg’s Evil Eye
Shoots out a projectile from your character. Note in second picture fragments created from impact.

Bloody Pox
Causes targeted enemy to begin bleeding. Note that this will spread to other enemies, I targeted one dummy with Bloody Pox and it spread to the other dummy automatically.

Sigil of Consumption
Places the sigil on the ground where you target (can even target at your feet if wish) First photo is 1 point 3.5m radius, second photo is softcap 12/12 for 5.0m radius.

Chaos Bolt
Quickly strikes the enemy with a bolt from the sky.

NIGHTBLADE

Amarasta’s Blade Burst
A “burst” of blades, note that they center on the enemy and not from your character. Additional points increases this radius. The Lethal Assault modification is a buff that triggers after each time you cast Amarasta’s Blade Burst, you’ll notice an icon above your health bar to indicate it is active.

Phantasmal Blades
Blades shoot out from your character towards the enemies. Default at 1 point is 3 blades, note the additional blades in second photo (5 blades at the softcap of 16/16) Heart Seeker allows penetration, note blades passing through the enemy in third screenshot.

Shadow Strike / Nightfall
Nearly instantly transport yourself and attack an enemy. In the second photo, Nightfall causes that AOE around your character upon hit.

ShadowStrike2

Blade Trap
Target an area and enemies will become entrapped in the blades. Note that once they break out that the debuff such as -% DA ends (i.e. this isn’t very effective versus bosses with massive trap resistance)

Ring of Steel
Attacks all enemies around you. This is a single button press that centers around your character.

Blade Barrier
Note that you can’t move while this is active. Single button press and protects your character.

ARCANIST

Panetti’s Replicating Missile
Shoots a projectile from your character to the enemies, which then bursts into fragments (similar to Brimstone from Demolitionist) Third screenshot is with Proliferation modifier adding additional fragments.

Olexra’s Flash Freeze
Single button press, freezing/damaging enemies around your character. Note that the -% Fire Resistance only lasts while enemies are frozen (similar to Blade Trap from Nightblade)

Trozan’s Sky Shard
Multiple projectiles will fall from the sky towards the area you aim at. Note that the “4 meter target area” is where the projectiles will be randomly aimed at around your target (imagine a 4m radius dartboard) with the “target radius” being how close the enemy needs to be from where that projectile actually lands (imagine 1.4m around each of your darts with 1 point in TSS, and 3m radius at softcap of 16/16 points)

Calidor’s Tempest
Single buttons press. Hits all enemies around you.

Albrecht’s Aether Ray
As long as you hold down the button, this skill will continue to be active, emitting a long beam from your character to the enemies. Note that in a recent patch this skill gained penetration, each dummy in this example is taking damage. This skill is affected by Cast Speed not Attack Speed, the higher your casting speed the more often it will deal damage.

Devastation
Numerous projectiles will fall from the sky onto your enemies. Note that this has a larger target area than Trozan Sky Shard (i.e. larger “dartboard” where the projectiles will aim at) but also more projectiles.

Nullification
Note that you can use this to either remove good buffs from enemies or bad effects on yourself, and that you can target with it (until testing it for this post I honestly thought it just triggered around your character)

SHAMAN

Devouring Swarm
Shoot projectile from your character towards the enemies, guaranteed to penetrate through enemies.

Grasping Vines
Vines sprout up at the area of the ground that you target. First photo is 1pt for 4m radius, second photo is 12/12 softcap for 7.5m radius.

Primal Strike / Torrent
First photo is a normal Primal Strike attack, second photo is to illustrate the Torrent modification. Note how the lightning cascades to additional targets.

Wendigo Totem
Places a totem on the ground which then damages all enemies in a radius around it. Note that the Mend Wounds ability requires an enemy around, just standing next to Totem alone doesn’t heal your character.

Storm Totem
Places a totem on the ground which then damages some enemies around it, up to 3 enemies with 1 point, and up to 6 enemies with 16/16 softcap.

INQUISITOR

Storm Box of Elgoloth
Zaps your target. Note that you do have to hit the enemy to be effective. If you miss, you’ll notice that your cooldown timer (the “clock” on your skill icon) doesn’t trigger and you can immediately try again to hit. The Lightning Tether ability is shown in the second and third photo, note that it needs to touch enemies to deal damage.

Bursting Round
This causes a small explosion around the enemy you hit.

Chilling Rounds
Shoots out 3 projectiles instead of just 1, all in a straight line. (You can usually hear when this triggers, due to triple shot sound)

Storm Spread
Shoots out multiple projectiles, but spread out instead of a single line. (Note that Bursting Round, Chilling Rounds, and Storm Spread are all Weapon Pool Skills - you can’t force them they just have a chance to occur, but I wanted to show what they look like)

Rune of Hagarrad
Places a rune on the ground where you target. Note that it has no effect for 1½ seconds to “arm” itself. After that time, it triggers on an enemy walking over it, shooting projectiles out from the rune.

Rune of Kalastor
Similar mechanics as Rune of Hagarrad above, but with fire damage. Note the additional explosions in the second screenshot.

Word of Pain
Damages/debuffs enemies around the area that you target. Note that you do not have to “hit” for it to work. It is similar to Curse of Frailty from Occultist opposed to Storm Box of Elgoloth.

Aura of Conviction
This is an aura that you merely toggle to set around yourself, but wanted to show that even when you’re standing still it will damage and debuff enemies.

:corn:Horn of Gandarr
Single button press. Affects all enemies around you within it’s radius.

Flames of Ignaffar
As long as you hold down the button, this skill will continue to be active. Emits a beam from your character. Note that it has a shorter distance compared to Albrecht’s Aether Ray from Arcanist. From where my character is standing, I can damage the first dummy but in the second photo I can’t damage the other dummy. Third screenshot shows with the Tainted Flame modifier.

Inquisitor’s Seal
Places a seal on the ground at the area that you target. Note that it can simultaneously damage enemies while protecting your character. Multiple can be placed, if you cast a second while your first is still active it will not disappear until it’s time is up.

NECROMANCER

Drain Essence
As long as you hold down the button, this skill will continue to be active. Emits a beam from your character. Note that it has a shorter distance compared to Albrecht’s Aether Ray from Arcanist, it’s similar to Flames of Ignaffar from Inquisitor. The Hungering Reach modifier allows your to drain from multiple enemies at once. If you’re standing too far from enemies you can visually see that the red draining is failing.

Bone Harvest
Shoots a wave from your character towards enemies. Note that the Dread modification will extend how far the wave travels, and Harvester of Death modification will shorten it. The Soul Harvest modification is a buff that triggers after each time you cast Bone Harvest, you’ll notice an icon above your health bar to indicate it is active.

Ill Omen
Causes targeted enemy to be affected with damage/debuff. Note that this will spread to other enemies, I targeted one dummy with Ill Omen and it spread to the other dummy automatically.

Spectral Binding / Spectral Wrath
This is an aura around yourself similar to Vindictive Flame from Demolitionist. Wanted to demonstrate that even with my character standing still, that Spectral Wrath is affecting them with damage/debuffs.

Ravenous Earth
Target an area on the ground, which will then begin emitting fragments. Note that the number of fragments is calculated with each “burst” so you might have 4 fragments immediately followed by 6 fragments within one casting of the spell. Also of note, the modifier Foul Eruption only triggers if any enemy is killed by Ravenous Earth (i.e. just being hit by RE and then killed by something else will not trigger it) When it does trigger, the effects will happen in a radius around the dying enemy.

Mark of Torment
The effects will last as long as the tether is there. The photo shows about the maximum range. taking a slight step further west broke the tether. Additional points extend how long the tether can last.

Siphon Souls
Single button press. Affects all enemies within the radius, second is with skill at 12/12 softcap. Third photo is with the Sear Souls modifier.

Reap Spirit
Note that there are two parts to this skill. First photo shows the beam that emanates from your character to the enemy. This is the vitality and aether damage from the first part of the description. Second shows the temporary pet you receive afterward, which deals the damage in the second part of the description.

Raise Skeletons
I wanted to show this skill to demonstrate that, which more points added to it, it changes which skeletons can be summoned. The first photo shows some basic skeletons. The second has ranged archers next to your character, melee skeletons next to the dummy, and a magical skeleton casting that meteor.

OATHKEEPER

Aegis of Menhir
Shoots a projectile from your character towards the enemy. Note that with Avenging Shield, it will ricochet to additional enemies as in second screenshot.

Vire’s Might
Dash towards your enemies, damaging all that you pass. You do not need to target an enemy. (you can even use this to dash away from enemies to escape)
With the Volcanic Stride modifier (second photo) you leave a trail of fire behind you which will also damage enemies that come close enough (the 2.2m radius in description)

ViresMight2

Judgment
Single button press. Damage all enemies around you. Note the description states “knockdown” but this skill actually acts in reverse (knock up your enemies?) In the second photo, the enemies are being pulled towards your character.

Eye of Reckoning
Damages all enemies around your character. Keep button held down to continuously spin. You can still move around while the skill is active. Second photo shows it enhanced with Soulfire.

16 Likes

Movement Skill Runes

These require the Forgotten Gods expansion. They work by applying a rune to a medal, which then allows you to assign the granted skill regardless of your character’s class.

The basic runes can be purchased from the Faction Vendors in Conclave of the Three (Falonestra - Wares of Bysmiel | Reida - Wares of Dreeg | Jugal - Wares of Solael)
The advanced runes require you to find blueprints, and then craft the rune at a blacksmith (e.g. Angrim or Duncan in Devil’s Crossing)

There are six different types of movement skills. Look for the keywords in the description of the skill to see which of the six types will be granted, i.e. Glyph of the Winter Fox grants the skill Outfox which reads “Like a wily snow fox, disengage away from combat in a flash of frost that leaves your enemies chilled.” so you know it’ll work like the Disengage skill.

Similar skills also share the same icon, in the photo below the top of the second column and top of the last column are both Rush skills.

RuneTypes

:point_down: Click each Rune type to see skills :point_down:

DISENGAGE

Note that your character will disengage away from where your cursor is, notice the cursor is to the left of the dummies as the character jumps off to the right. You could actually jump left towards dummies by placing your cursor to the right of the character. Damage/Effects will happen where you’re disengaging from, not where you land, as shown by dummies being frozen / taking cold damage from Outfox.

Disengage1

Outfox
Disengage2

RUSH

Note that you do not need to target any enemies, you will rush towards where your cursor is placed. You can use this to rush away from danger if needed. Notice that Wendigo Rush is causing dummies to take bleed damage after rushing past them.

Rush1

Wendigo Rush
Rush2

VANISH

Note that this skill does require a target. As shown in Sudden Strike you can target enemies around obstacles.

Vanish1

Sudden Strike
Vanish2

LEAP

Note that you do not need to target any enemies, you will leap towards where your cursor is placed. There is a brief delay after landing before you can move. Note that you can even leap down or up stairs.

Leap1

Korvan Swiftness
Leap2

Leap3

CHARGE

Note that this skill does require a target. As shown in Rahn’s Might you can target enemies around obstacles. Any enemy using crowd control such as stun or freeze can interrupt this skill.

Charge1

Rahn’s Might
Charge2

RIFT TEAR

Note that you do not need to target any enemies, you will teleport to where your cursor is placed. Damage/Effects will affect all enemies in radius where you land at (opposed to Disengage from where you depart) Notice it can be used on stairs / around obstacles up to it’s range limit.

RiftTear

Arcane Rift
RiftTear2

RiftTear3

2 Likes

Examples of skills from items or devotions are available here:

Items by tqFan
Devotions by arcane_undo

1 Like

@mornay: Good idea on OP. I suggest getting one of the mods to shift it over to the builds/guides section though

@nery: Get off my buttcheeks nery

2 Likes

Nice idea!

But shouldn’t be more appropriate to be in guides and feedback section?

2 Likes

Damn, you took the word out of my mouth :smile:

Yea I was 50/50 on which sub was most appropriate. Whichever sub mods feel is best. :+1:

If you like, you can use the tag system to include Medea or Eis. I feel like with little longer introduction, it could turn into nice guide. Definitely it’s something which will be interesting to newer players in the game. But of course it’s your call.

1 Like

It’s great to see something like this.

It’s a long shot but I think it’d be awesome to get a collection of all of the skill modifiers that change a skill’s FX in one place under it’s own section as well after you’re done with the mastery skills.

1 Like

There are sites you can use to make gifs easily, Mornay -

Figured mebbe you might want to look into that if you’re aiming to visually convey skills. Just be mindful of the forum’s 4mb file size per image limit.

This is just a down right awesome idea. Very cool! It might even get Elsa to come back.

1 Like

Yea I’ve never tried making gifs before, but thank you for that link. I’d like to create gifs for the FG movement skills (would be useful for Blitz and Phantom Strike too)
Edit: Looks like my Radeon ReLive software lets me record, and then can use that site to gif them. Thanks for the heads up on 4mb limit, first test one was over 9mb I’ll trim them down.

1 Like

Elsa? She’s alive?

2 Likes

Nice… I see you got a Blitz one in there.

Yea that’s why I found that site there… I’d found some gifs I wanted to post here but their file size was too large so I searched and came across that site since it let me upload and reduce the quality (and size) to get under the limit.

Updated second post to demonstrate the six different Movement Skill Rune Augments via gifs. (And added gifs for Blitz, Shadow Strike, and Vire’s Might to OP)

1 Like

Scrolling through forums to read whatsits, and I noticed that the symbols are (mostly) people with movement markers by them. So top right being rush is a person with markers towards something. Below that is ‘away.’ I know bottom is the blink because I’ve used it, which makes sense since the line seems to represent the person with the movement markers signifying any direction.
It’s pretty neat, actually, having a visual representation for how the movement skills work. That’s just good design right there.

Agreed it’s really cool design. Also the colors match to what damage they’re doing.
And also interesting there seems to be a bug with Rahn’s Might. It’s the bottom of the third row, and it’s a Charge skill, yet the symbol is instead as though it was a Rush skill (matching the top of the last column, instead of the bottom of the first column as it should)

Just want to add that corpses can also spread bloody pox

1 Like

As much as we appreciate all these nice new vibrant colors and animations, none of the skills in game are exuding dark theme except yugol procs?

it would be nice to see dark visuals like Dark AAR, black colored FOI, black TSS etc etc… . everything black and, if my memory serves me right we have nothing really oriented to the dark side. maybe some items I missed but nothing from mastery classes?

I guess a proper ‘dark one’ mastery in gd2 is the only solution with a new damage type😢

Racist.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Would you consider skills like ravenous earth, bone harvest, DB, “dark enough”