What's the latest on Crate's town builder game? Now entitled Farthest Frontier

There’s a lot of roots that can’t be eaten but used in medicine, tannery, tailoring (as a dyes source), spices etc. My bet is for medical use.

…and all Praetorians get beta access, right? :innocent:

2 Likes

No idea yet. Closed beta, open alpha/beta, full release. Could be any of them. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I would like to petition for a promotion then. :star_struck:

I have um…as many ugdenblooms as you need to sweeten the deal. Or I can part with this: https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/13447

Or I also have an item that isn’t in Grim Tools!!

Come on!!! What’s a “taken” got to do???

:crazy_face:

1 Like

Yay! Musical wordplay! Count me in.

1 Like

Really looking forward to it now :smiley:
If GD is any indication of the quality of Crate’s games in general, Farthest Frontier is going to be a town builder for the ages.

Looking forward to it Med!!

Also Medea, Spices in Emperor was an import only food stuff that worked like salt increasing the food quality. (I may have played it a lot as a kid :P)

Great to know we’ll be seeing more soon! From the one GUI pic it looks nice.

Oh the joy!:partying_face:

:partying_face:

1 Like

so mogi mogi & ravey grrr are our nemesis in the town game.

Oh my god man, i am so pumped about this. Ive never been more pumped for a town builder in my life. Dont even normally play them but ill be damned if im not gonna buy this one. I am really liking the menu designs and little pictures for materials, not to mention the buildings.

Excited to hear some of the music!

3 Likes

Roots and Root Vegetables are one of those things that is sort of an artifact of evolving game design, where something gets implemented a certain way but then ends up being sort of awkward because of something else that changed later.

In this case, we originally had roots as a forage item that could be collected from certain habitats and used both for food and to create medicine later. Early on, each crop also produced specific food items - like planting turnips resulted in collect a food called “turnips”.

As we added more items, the inventory list started to get kind of bloated and I realized, there was really no reason to have a dozen different food items, where many all filled the same role, so I changed crops to each yield a food type, instead of a specific item. So turnips and carrots are both root vegetables now.

And now its weird that we have roots and root vegetables. I also made it so you can’t eat roots any longer, they’re only for medicine… but now its awkward that you can forage for them right off but you can’t actually use them to make medicine until your town advances to a later stage of development. So its something I’ve meant to revisit eventually. I’ll probably rename roots and maybe make it so that you can’t collect them until you build an apothecary or something.

5 Likes

To medicinal roots?

1 Like

Or ‘medicinal,’ then other non-root medicinal items go in there too and you’ll be looking forward to the apothecary to start using them. Perhaps put expiry on the items so you can’t hoard forever…

‘‘Herbs’’ is better I think.

2 Likes

Would be a good solution except thyat herbs are already a separate thing

1 Like

So… In my humble opinion; since now roots are not edible; and they can only have use to craft medicines; their purpose in food section is limited. And there is ‘‘herbs’’ in raw material section which I don’t know what it can be used for but again probably to make medicine or maybe spices?. The word ‘‘herb’’ is perfect for plants/part of plants/edible or non-edible that has uses other than being food. So the logical thing is removing one of those from the game. Roots/herbs being raw material to be crafting medicine fits.

1 Like

I don’t know what the ‘herbs’ are used for? Could they be renamed ‘spices’ and the old roots be named ‘herbs?’

Just throwing it out there, but it might not fit thematically depending on what the purpose of the current ‘herbs’ are in the game.

EDIT: never mind, just noticed you already have a spices too. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like