Where is the Church?

Any word on bridges (for those maps that spawn islands with materials), and although there are no “religions” (which I’m personally glad to see) - maybe some spiritual related structures celebrating the dead?

Obviously the burial practices are still mainly functional so maybe even a grave keeper/tomb?

Just spitballing for future additions - there is already so much there :partying_face::ok_hand:

1 Like

Have to wait for Crate on those.

2 Likes

I am so glad religion is NOT in the game! I play other games where it has been injected, and it leads to nothing but frustration for me. Thank you for leaving it out.

However, as large as some of the lakes are, it only makes sense that, somewhere along the timeline, docks and ships should be available. Even just barges to go from one shore to the other and gather the items found there by foragers, killed by hunters, and mined by miners. The real pioneers eventually build flatboats, barges, paddlewheel steamers, and more, to carry cargo and passengers. Since this game has a good solid base in real pioneer experiences, why not docks, boats, and ships? (I do have a bias – I spent 15 years in the U.S. Coast Guard!)

3 Likes

They could add a church though without adding any kind of religion. Just keep it vague like they do with the shrine and everyone is happy

1 Like

True. I just get nettled when a part of some games involves evangelizing. I can’t say I care for that.

1 Like

I wish that rivers and bridges were included. In the beginning you would be reliant on fords, but later you can build a wood then a stone bridge.

Well mosques/temples/etc also existed in that era. I’m sure everyone shocked we didn’t add churches would be just as satisfied by the addition of those instead, right?

We’ve intentionally left faith ambiguous in frontier, even if churches are a “staple” of medieval Europe, which is another thing we’ve deliberately left vague. The setting for the game is inspired by certain time periods and places, but it is not set in those places. The player can decide whatever suits them.

I’m not sure what our approach to religious buildings will be as they are not a priority right now. If we ever incorporate a faith system of some kind, I think it would be best if it was a customizable system where you name the faith and decide its bonuses/features. There’s way too much baggage and drama around real world religions.

As for docks/bridges, water gameplay is actually a lot more complicated than you’d think in our setup. It’s something we’ve experimented with during development but ultimately decided to shelf for the time-being.

It’s a mechanic we will likely revisit, but it may have to be some kind of water-themed DLC as the tech and features necessary would be a major undertaking that’s not likely to fit the timeframe for the base game.

22 Likes

Was wondering how long before religion started causing issues :wink::joy: personally I’m glad that there’s no religion mechanic, but a generic temple or something to celebrate the dead would be cool.

Also any additional decorations (May poles, recreational parks, flags/banners, crates, water features and more) would be welcomed :crossed_fingers::relaxed::pray:

9 Likes

I like how the shrine is vague but serves a purpose, I think it would be fitting to have a building that serves a similar purpose. It could just be a building with smaller shrines that adds desirability and requires a worker for upkeep.

3 Likes

We do not need religion. But i would wish to build a cathedral at the end of the game same as in Anno you build this huge and ressource expensive building at the end.
This would add an additional target in the end game where it costs a lot of ressources to build. This building do not need any religion mechanic or something.

1 Like

Correct. Miss that too!
Its strange how they included a “theater” into the construction list, but not a church.
Everything about middle age content surrounds religion and devotion. In many cases of our real world, even before the main building in the middle (the hall) a church was built first of anyrhing else.

1 Like

Sorry to say it bluntly, but this argument is pointless.
Where then you also remove minerals which are a far greater source of drama than religion. Also remove the establishment of a colony because it has always been a source of drama much more important than religion.
Oh ! Come to think of it, also remove the looters which are a sure source of drama.

In short, delete the game ^^

6 Likes

I’ll happily draw the line at religion any day. And I think that’s all the remains to be said on this subject.

9 Likes

I’ll happily draw the line at religion any day. And I think that’s all the remains to be said on this subject.

Désolé, je n’ai rien compris à cette phrase.

That’s what you have the shrines for I guess. Nature brings atmosphere, pray to that and live to keep it that way. Plant some trees buddy, don’t chop them down :slight_smile:

Please remove alcohol. Its also a bad thing and some religions dont support it. Add also next to man and womens other genders, because transgender will not be identified in this game. Also please add rainbow flags… Sorry arguing like this is pointless.
Just say we will not implement religion and its ok. You are who decides what should be done :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Zantai literally just said they may consider a fictional faith system down the line. They just don’t want real life religion in the game

4 Likes

This would be super interesting/fun to play around with in this world. I’m sure you all would do it justice as well if you go this route. If not though, just a couple more shrine like assets would fill the void and allow players to continue having their own head-canon

6 Likes

I’m an atheist so normally loathe to push for any kind of religious inclusion in games…but it does seem strangely odd there’s no ‘temple’ buildings in the game. I think something should be added: doesn’t have to be called a church. Could just be called an ‘elders gathering place’ or similar.

3 Likes

The mechanic does not need to be complicated, just a desirability bonus will work. Please let use have churches :slight_smile: Honestly I am an atheist and could care less about religion but I love gothic church and cathedral design, they are beautiful! The old times are just not complete without churches, especially with cemeteries. Might as well remove the cemetery if religion in the game is an issue. Burying the dead is a religious practice. A shrine is a religious practice, if those are in the game why not a church?

2 Likes