why are we punished for resetting builds?

as I said, awfully selective (all of these are MMOs) - and you could do it in D2 unless you used the server side storage

I only play multiplayer games as well, so maybe single player games had that functionality, which I would be unfamiliar with.

just further proof… awfully selective, you pretty much exclusively played games that stored the save server side, which is maybe 5% of the games out there, if even that… probably less than 1% for most of the 20 years since Meridian 59

If you come to this from the RPG side rather than the MMO side then everything is always saved locally, starting with Diablo 1, Ultima, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder to today’s Witcher and Skyrim

Well, there explains the difference then. I enjoy the social aspect of multiplayer games, not so much a fan of single player games. I can see why single player games would allow you to alter your character, there is no need to worry about balance.

Makes excellent sense, but how is that a “problem”? It is a preferred playstyle, simply put.

Figure of speech? It would be a “problem” tho given the fact you are applying solely mp server logic/thinking to an unrelated game.

When you only bring up mmo type games in relation it kind of throws everything else in the water. It simply doesn’t apply.

Nothing wrong with it being your thing but you need to recognize why there is a difference.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

and you could do it in D2 unless you used the server side storage

I have not followed this entire thread since my last post, but if you are still talking about “respec” you can also do this in multiplayer D2 since 1.13c (one free respec x difficulty level, +unlimited respec via farming specific items.)

Is there not a multiplayer facet to this game? The ability to play in coop mode? Why even play the game when one can dupe the items he/she wants, copy files from others, etc. Seems rather silly to me, however, to each his own.

Just because you can does not mean you have to. As you say, to each their own. Only you know your own morals and how you like to game. GD lies on the freedom to do as you choose end of the spectrum, which enables us to mod and play the game how we choose. Sure some cheat but alot of us simply enjoy being able to play others content and ideas and quite often we do it to make the game harder, not easier.

Server-based games rob you of that freedom and take choice away while simultaneously tying you down to the whims of “server downtime” or “hey your Internet connection took a crap, thank you for your patience while we resolve the issue” and the like.

To each their own. Choose your own adventure.

Eh, I don’t know about that one. I’d like to see a randomly selected build survive in OP8 Digistruct Peak or in Tiny Tina’s DLC.

Fair enough and well put. One quick point however, server based games do not rob you of freedom, just the ability to dupe, hack and cheat. Or rather, in many instances they do their best to try and prevent it at least. You still have the freedom to create the builds you want, and explore the game as you see fit. :wink:

I just wish a decent MMO would come out. Server downtime means I find other things to do, not hard to accomplish. :slight_smile:

That’s all well and good. Some people need that social aspect and if you are into the whole ladders and seasons type thing being server-based is a good “Nanny” to help protect those interests.

For the rest of us tho we can police ourselves and choose who we want to game with, if anyone. As for downtime tho nothing pisses me off more than spending 60 bucks on D3 and looking forward to hopping on for a weekend and nope… We’re down. Too bad. Thanks for the money tho.

Screw that.

I’ll play GD instead. Can play whenever I feel like.

Ah but they do rob you of those freedoms and the freedom to make mods that aren’t necessarily cheating. It’s all server based so that option is entirely off the table by default. For many people this is important.

Some people find longevity by subscribing to an mmo and possibly paying them in some fashion for future updates. Others find it thru modding.

yes there is, but as powbam said, the focus is SP, MP is more of an option, not the main attraction

Why even play the game when one can dupe the items he/she wants, copy files from others, etc. Seems rather silly to me, however, to each his own.

why do you play it ? It’s not like you could not do this either (or those playing with you), just because you play it in MP…

The obvious answer, at least for why I play it, is that I enjoy doing so, and I play it in whichever fashion accomplishes that, whether it is the ‘legit’ way or not.

Right now it still is, but I certainly won’t farm for 100s of hours trying to get one elusive item… I never understood the allure of that, playing the same char for 100s of hours in hopes of getting somewhat better items, I will farm a bit, and the rest I just give myself and then move on to a new build :wink:

Speaking of freedoms and a little bit of irony, GD is open enough that you can go out and grab a tool or download file that have resources to allow you to completely revamp a single character to your heart’s content. My recommendation is if you’re into heavy theory crafting and you want to constantly shift points around then it’s worth the time to go get one of these options rather than try to elicit a change from the devs. The intent of the devs for the game is that replayability is served through building multiple characters to explore different skill combinations and they achieve this by the system that’s in place.

I used one of these resources extensively during beta to rapidly shift around certain skills during release build updates. I’ve since stopped using it for the release version since I’m more interested in just playing the game, rather than testing it.

of course they rob me of freedom, there are many things I cannot do in them that I can do here.

You still have the freedom to create the builds you want, and explore the game as you see fit. :wink:

nope, only in the narrow path that the devs deemed appropriate to explore :wink:

True enough :wink:

The good news is, as you say, is that you can do that and they don’t really give a rat’s ass either way. But nothing wrong with a game having rules and limitations inherently. They wouldn’t be games if they didn’t. They’d be sandboxes. Some people prefer such things and for the rest who don’t it isn’t rocket science to take the other path.

There have been plenty of recommendations given to the OP as to options available to him that would resolve the matter in question.

If one continues to respec again and again with the same character to the point where a respec fee becomes a prohibitively high amount, what are you going to do then? 4000 is still accessible whereas 30, 40, 50 thousand will have you farming iron just to respec your character. I would think that if/once you reach this point that the iron farming would just feel so grindy that you may actually develop a hatred for the practice.

At this stage you may feel compelled to look at alternate sources for being able to respec, such as trainers, editors and the like. My point, why not nip the problem in the butt now and get a great editing tool such as GD Stash.

As Powbam suggested, if you are able to police yourself and monitor the manner in which you use a given tool, the issue of cheating / hacking / invalidating your experience of the game will not be a concern. You sound mature enough to be able to do this. I believe that the use of certain tools simply provides efficiency and convenience for the user.

With all this having been said, it is completely up to you but I would much prefer to know that the dev’s are applying their efforts to content such as expansions and additional releases rather than a feature that already has community developed solutions.

I am not arguing, I understand your point of view but I believe that there are options available to you that you should seriously consider utilising.

Syn

why don’t we all just stop posting in this thread now :rolleyes: no more time needs to be wasted