Why doesn't the Rat Catcher provide meat?

Just courious? :rofl: :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

I had an older relative that was in a WW2 prison camp… he had to catch rats to survive…he never spoke of it.

So maybe there is a reason that rat meat isn’t included…
:open_mouth:

2 Likes

Likely down to the possibility of bubonic plague. Eating infected rats can pass the disease on. Rat catchers seem to be employed to catch and dispose of the rats for this purpose.

4 Likes

The graveyard, too.

6 Likes

As there are (very roughly speaking, very roughly…) as many rats on earth as humans, and have been so long as we’ve been urbanising, ie the rat population has risen in line with the human population, all over the world for thousands of years, as has the mouse population, and yet neither of those animals feature prominently in any cuisine that I’m aware of… then there must be some reason. I can’t think of it because I can’t get get past the immediate nauseous feeling…

I would prefer the ratcatcher not to provide meet, and if I catch him or her slipping any suspicious packages into a hunter’s cottage then it’s out to the wolf den with them!

3 Likes

In some African tribe cultures roast rat is a delicacy. But since they tend to carry disease, it’s not a healthy snack.

3 Likes

Just needs to be cooked better… :wink:

So you’re saying if we eliminate the human population, we will no longer have a rat problem? :thinking:

What if he/she doesn’t do it sneaky? they just have them on spits in front of their shop?

So the rat catcher becomes the rat wrangle. He catches the wild ones, breeds and domesticated them, and we have a new meat source?

1 Like

I know this question is not addressed to me but I found it amusing:
Of course, if there were no more humans on earth, rats would no longer be a problem for humans because there would be no humans to complain about. ^^

This whole thread is for fun, so its addressed to everyone:smiley:

Im not saying we should all go away… but it would fix a few things wouldn’t it? :smiley:

2 Likes

I know someone who has tried rat meat and they said it was disgusting. Really oily, and with a bad taste.

1 Like

Instant Demolition Man Vibes lol. It does make sense though. If youre starving you’d eat anything you could get ahold of, and my city is apparently on permanent low food no matter how much I have lol.

2 Likes

Perfect!!!

You should look into this farm rotation idea.

some of the info has been removed because of changes, but I actually think it is still quite valid. I am using 9 squares. 1 for production, 4 farms, 2 pasture, and 2 rest. and I am cranking out the meat, hoping to be hitting the cheese hard too soon!

1 Like

6 Farm Fields
4 Barn & Pastures
12 Smokehouses
3 Root Cellars
8 Granaries
1 Cheesemaker
1 Well
34 x 45

Bumping up against 500 population with 18 (2) month’s worth of food supplies stored.

1 Like

Holy smokehouses? I have 1 :stuck_out_tongue: lol

11,300+ smoked meats.
0 raw meat.

2 Likes

Today, rats are well-known vectors of disease.
It’s the same with mosquitoes, but it’s common sense to kill a carrier if you see one. Also, being stung is unpleasant.

During times of famine, humans ate anything, and a diverse food culture was born. Of course there are mice.
Rats may have been the cause of the village’s extinction in this game.
They see rats as mere enemies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_meat

1 Like

Rats meat is apparently similar to rabbit, chicken and raccoon meat (never had raccoon). And they can easily be used in any dish that uses rabbit or chicken.
Rat meat is oily and makes the meat pungent and gamey…

Im not going to try it myself as they may carry disease… and I just cant get over the thought of chowing down on rat… lol lol

giphy

I suppose our Farthest Frontier villagers could eat rats when there isn’t enough food to go around… followed by disease of course.

Which diseases actually stem from eating well barbecued rat meat? I’d assume the danger lies in being in contact with or bitten by the live ones (case in point with the Bubonic plague and the fleas on rats, not the rats themselves). So really people would need to avoid contact with the rat catcher (and other infected). Hope you placed their hut far from town and just moved the work areas. :wink:

Also, our common rat today (the big norvegicus) got to central Europe in the 18th century. The smaller previously common rat got to central Europe (and Africa) with the Roman Empire, and their population collapsed when the Romans left those central-european areas. That and the neccessary low temperatures are the reasons why the plague swept over Europe in several waves, afaik. Which hit not just urbanised areas, though.
So I wouldn’t say that rats lived with humans everywhere for thousands of years, but only in some regions of the world - and trade was probably more important for their spread than urbanization (although the two usually go hand in hand).

1 Like

Num-num time…
All those succulent, juicy rats.

8OIp

Perfect for our villagers.

1 Like

how come you know of it?