Why not make CC work on bosses?

Half of the 2 man permafreeze puzzle. If you want to see what SR looks like with silly freezes bring a luminari Inquis and another arcanist+x with spectral bludgeon and an OFFhand. Reroll the area until you get the -15% ccres mutator and turn on Netflix.

-50% mageslayer, -15% mutator, -20% luminari, -20% night’s embrace for the luls. 7s OFF duration. Something like 40% high end CDR if you also land Exposed mutator. 3.6s OFF cd, add in hourglass and eternity

Grava 138% freeze res -> 53/33… this isn’t how the game should be. LOLnerfMP.

1 Like

Honestly, this is pretty overkill as it is.

A lot of the sources of CC that I thought were still around (chance to stun target on Rhowan’s Scepter and Bull) no longer exist. Targo’s Hammer’s 50% Chance of 1s Stun may need a reduction to the % Chance; same with Korvaak. But if bosses reliably had between 70-90% CC resist, most things in mastery, on items, and Devotions don’t need to be changed much at all.

Mastery changes that I think would need to happen:

• OFF CD increase. The duration I think is fine; even at the aforementioned 70% CC res, without mageslayer that’s topping off at a 1.35s Freeze, which while lengthy, isn’t close to “locking” opponents without significant CDR/Mageslayer. Rather than toning down the duration of OFF’s CC, its CD could be increased to further reduce overall uptime without impacting the frontloaded debuff.

• Frozen Core - Freeze Duration scaling with rank. At one point or 22 points, its presently a 2 second freeze on a 3 second base CD. Seems a bit much to have such a low-CD interrupt and taking the OFF route of increasing its CD would have adverse effects for non-CC-reliant Trozan builds. Frankly, even getting rid of the Freeze here may be viable. The skill meets its lore text with just the Slow and Frostburn and % Cold.

• Untransmuted Stun Jacks. Same general idea as Frozen Core, except even more exaggerated. This is sort of a bigger deal because…you know…“Stun” Jacks. But you do need to max the skill to get the longer stun duration, and hell, if it convinces people to debate between taking and not taking the transmuter on a SJ build, it may even be a win to just leave it alone. SJ is a perfect example of the transmuter not really being a “choice.”

I’d rather not see complex solutions to such a problem. Keeping things as a simple numbers change without requiring the addition of boss mechanics or UI elements makes the concept far easier/quicker to implement for Crate, which in turn means less resources diverted from other things that may need working on.

1 Like

@Ceno:
What about Ring of Frost? 2,8 sec with RoS on a 3 sec CD. Perhaps combined with Korba…

Yeah I forgot about it but Ring of Frost would definitely need some looking at. Either reduce Freeze to match the base stun of the skill (1.5s) or otherwise increase the CD with the transmuter to raise the skill timing proportionately.

For Korba, I’d rather see the Freeze reduction.

Thought only about the CD. Don´t really know, which sets would give Freeze Reduction, but Spellbreaker with OFF and RoS would be…well, very good for Permafrost. :slight_smile:

I didn’t have a whole lot of time to test how “broken” this may have been, but I did play around with it and confirm it as “working” by getting a ministun on Valdaran and Cronley.

irresistible.zip (27.4 KB)

It’s a typical mod. Plop it Extract it in your mods folder.

Changes:

• resists_heroboss.dbr: Reduced CC resists granted by ranks 4 and higher of the skill. All resists of those ranks remains higher than rank 3, but also below 100%.
  • Difficulty scaling for enemies: Enemies no longer get additional CC resists based on player count or difficulty level.
  • Difficulty scaling for players and their pets: Players and their pets now have 10% Reduced Stun, Freeze, Petrify, Trap, and Sleep duration globally applied when in Elite. In Ultimate, this number increases to 30%. This is not resistance to CC; it reduces the duration of outgoing CC’s from the player toward enemies.

The TL;DR is that basically everything, including Celestials, should be able to be “CC’d” for some indeterminate amount of time, however that time unit is going to be quite short without CC-shred on Mageslayer/Rimetongue/etc.

Try it out and let me know whether you can break anything.

5 Likes

Ceno, you beautiful bastard. Thanks for taking the time to do this up

Ur a hero.

1 Like

Diminish return with subsequent CC applied within X second would be a nice design.

Hi. I just tested and your mod doesn’t work. I open custom game irresistible and test on Warden Krige in Elite mode. Heroes can be stunned as usual but nothing happen on Warden even after I edit the defensiveStun in file resist_heroboss.dbr to all 0. Could you please spare sometime and test it with current game version. If this mod doesn’t work I will give up on the game because I can’t bear the design of a mechanic exist with no support and useless when we need it :c. The devs claim they are for CC only but what is it for if crowd in this game mean nothing but a bag of trash mod which can be cleared in half a sec with literally any skill that can deal dmg. And ironically I just found out Fumble and Impaired Aim works on bosses. Aren’t they CC skill too? So why this but not that. Or because the devs think CC with no dmg won’t break the balancing so yeah I won’t touch that. If yes then it’s lame.

Considering the mod is 6 months out of date I’m not surprised. Ceno probably needs to update it to the latest version of the game.

I just finished the game (all DLC) on Ultimate with my 2nd character. In the first character I play kiter Backwater Cocktail and feel the game is pretty easy so after Normal Veteran I switch to a melee char (Warder 2H) and indeed the game feel more difficult yet more exciting. My ideal was to play a melee with 2H mace and dual long stun skill (forcewave and primal strike). It was fun for awhile but then I realize that I cannot stun Warden Krieg so I have to resort to run and hit using forcewave. At that point I think “Fine, maybe I don’t have gear to support stun yet so I couldn’t do shit to him” (I avoid using google to keep the immersive) but then when I reach Ultimate I have to google and it disappoints me that the game doesn’t support any mean to help player to stun any (like 99%) of named bosses even for a fraction a second to help recover momentum or reposition. Then I have to change my build to face-tanking with one button smash Savagery. This really kill my experience for the game. Overall while I do enjoy the main campaign of the game with nice plot twist and intriguing lore, the game doesn’t have any replayability for me (which I think is very important in ARPG?). In my experience, despite the game have a plethora of dmg type and defense layer, the playable style pool is very bipolar : you pick a dmg type then pick gear and devotion to stack up that dmg type then you either have enough dps of that dmg type to kill enemies before they see you or have enough defence to laugh at all the stuff monsters threw at you. I do hope the devs will design a better mechanic should they plan to make GD2 but currently I have to say mechanic in this game is boring.

many bosses that are immune/highly resistant to cc are still vulnerable to ‘reduce enemy damage’ and fumble debuff. some are also vulnerable to slow. i think those soft ccs’ are enough to deal with cc resistant bosses.

personally, i found the feature that many bosses are immune/highly resistant to cc is ok in many rpg games. remember how we can’t debuff some bosses in rpgs like final fantasies? that’s just a sign that these bosses are really powerful and requires different tactics in handling them. and in most cases, the tactics are focused on amplifying players’ dps and defenses instead of debuffing the bosses, resulting in a typical battle of attrition. i’ve accepted that for a long while now. cc are for mobs and elites, not bosses. its better to just deal with it and focuses on amping up dps when dealing with these attrition battles.

1 Like

bosses can have their own cc resist on top of the blanket resist_heroboss.dbr , stacking up to a whopping 1000% (or beyond).

I understand that no game is perfect and the player should accept the ideal of “take it or leave it”. I was having a very good time with the game but when it comes to endgame I would like to see more than stacking dmg/resistance number gameplay. And doesn’t it make sense that in RPG the protagonist is gradually become the strongest one? If in the end I can face-tanked avatar of godlike being like Mogdrogen or Korvaak then why on earth I couldn’t make a ministun on MoneyBag Martin or Cronley. Some being immune is ok but almost all is another story.

2 Likes

So it is no hope then :smiley:. Thank you.

it is, just have to edit their individual DBRs…
OR there is a part in the heroboss resistances thing where you can give an increase/decrease in maximum resists, and giving a blanket -x% maximum stun/freeze/petrify resist to bosses through this should work just as well, aside from a few exceptions.

thats the penalty players get in many end game difficulties, especially if enemies’ power scales with player levels dynamically. weakest critters got boosted to max level for no reason. end game difficulties in many games are often about beating the games’ weird min-max challenges rather than enjoying the games’ immersive experiences (stories, lore, character development, world design).

maybe crate is afraid that if a single player can ministun cc resistant bosses even for 0.1 secs, then two players can stunlock those bosses forever through game exploits. a mini/microstun can totally interrupt the momentum of enemies’ attack/cast animations.

i kinda wished cc resistant bosses can have weaker phase/moments, where players can inflict cc on them to debuff them. dunno how to design around that though, because the game will become too predictable if that happens.

2 Likes

I don’t know what game you are mentioning but compare to a modern mainstream Path of Exile, hard CC like Stun and Freeze can work on very end game bosses (simply search PoE stunlock on Youtube there are tons of video about that). Even mobs that immune to stun has to suffer another downside (Unwavering Stance give stun immunity but remove dodge iirc and player also have access to it not just the mobs). In my opinion, when a mechanic exist in a game it should be supported through various means and sacrifice to make that a worthwhile achievement. Why bother implementing a mechanic while 99% of the time when the player want it to work the most it fails to deliver. But in the end of the day, I know it is decision of the devs. I gave up on the game but still open for discussion. Ty.

path of exile fried my old amd laptop. gives me bad memories so i don’t learn much about path of exile, though i know path of exile has complex game mechanics. maybe more complex than gd. i kinda refer to tq and torchlight 1-2 there. because i’ve personally experienced cc immune bosses there. there might be other games with finer example of how they deal with cc resistant bosses.

there are 2 cc that is so overpowered that perhaps support the existence of cc resistant bosses. mind control and confuse. they are overpowered against mobs. but there are almost no builds about characters that focused solely on mind control and confuse abilities. those kind of characters are forced to acknowledge that their most powerful abilities are just for clearing mobs in a stylish yet not very time efficient way. they still have to amp up their damage for dealing with cc resistant bosses.

is there any examples in other rpg games where bosses can be mind controlled/confused without breaking the balance of the game? next to them, stunlock is the most overpowered cc ever exist. maybe there are some games that implement temporary stun resistance on stunnable bosses for a while after they’re stunned… ah… darkest dungeon comes to mind. enemies there gain stun resist for several turns after they’re stunned. perhaps crate can implement this mechanic in future gd updates. or in gd 2. i’d love to see celestial beings stunnable for a second or something, then they become stun resistant for several seconds.

oh yeah, something should be mentioned about builds that focused heavily on cc. they are REALLY good for farming MIs from mobs (especially olexra’s flash freeze and blade trap). so they still have a place in the game. even though they’re not very effective against elite and bosses.