Why not make CC work on bosses?

It would also lower the skill cap of the game. Needing to multitask between the Buff timers on the bottom left, target acquisition, positioning, spell casting sequence, enemy attack patterns, etc. is exactly what makes gameplay more interactive and engaging for me.

And I would’ve thought that you’d agree as well because IIRC, the entire stance of the pro-CC argument rests upon increasing player involvement

2 Likes

wot am i missing m8

Repeating is the mother of knowledge!

1 Like

1 Like

I’d just like OFF and Blade Trap to be viable end game skills. All that really needs to happen is to cap CC resist at 98% so CC skills can proc their damage effects, but not stun lock the bosses in any meaningful way.

1 Like

Rimetongue and mageslayer set allows you to do that. The problem is item dependency

(And for reasons mentioned above, item dependency is the only reasonable way to introduce CC into builds)

CC conduits image

Right, and there’s that epic inquisitor set too. Can’t remember the name

Luminari Regalia?

2 Likes

Super/Act bosses all seem to have 500% CC resist, so even with those sets you aren’t even close to reducing those resistances into effective range(and being able to do so would be broken).

I’m not saying reduce their resists from 500%, I’m saying instead of having the cap be 100% which it is currently, have the cap be at 98%, so all CC effects apart from knockdown(although they should also gain immunity to confuse and terrify, etc) will have 2% effectiveness. OFF and Blade Trap would now work on these bosses, though they would probably need a balance pass(-100% fire resistance and -35% defensive ability, hello). You still won’t be able to reduce them below 98% with the CC resist reduction sets so there won’t be any chain CC stun locking going on either.

Half of the 2 man permafreeze puzzle. If you want to see what SR looks like with silly freezes bring a luminari Inquis and another arcanist+x with spectral bludgeon and an OFFhand. Reroll the area until you get the -15% ccres mutator and turn on Netflix.

-50% mageslayer, -15% mutator, -20% luminari, -20% night’s embrace for the luls. 7s OFF duration. Something like 40% high end CDR if you also land Exposed mutator. 3.6s OFF cd, add in hourglass and eternity

Grava 138% freeze res -> 53/33… this isn’t how the game should be. LOLnerfMP.

1 Like

Honestly, this is pretty overkill as it is.

A lot of the sources of CC that I thought were still around (chance to stun target on Rhowan’s Scepter and Bull) no longer exist. Targo’s Hammer’s 50% Chance of 1s Stun may need a reduction to the % Chance; same with Korvaak. But if bosses reliably had between 70-90% CC resist, most things in mastery, on items, and Devotions don’t need to be changed much at all.

Mastery changes that I think would need to happen:

• OFF CD increase. The duration I think is fine; even at the aforementioned 70% CC res, without mageslayer that’s topping off at a 1.35s Freeze, which while lengthy, isn’t close to “locking” opponents without significant CDR/Mageslayer. Rather than toning down the duration of OFF’s CC, its CD could be increased to further reduce overall uptime without impacting the frontloaded debuff.

• Frozen Core - Freeze Duration scaling with rank. At one point or 22 points, its presently a 2 second freeze on a 3 second base CD. Seems a bit much to have such a low-CD interrupt and taking the OFF route of increasing its CD would have adverse effects for non-CC-reliant Trozan builds. Frankly, even getting rid of the Freeze here may be viable. The skill meets its lore text with just the Slow and Frostburn and % Cold.

• Untransmuted Stun Jacks. Same general idea as Frozen Core, except even more exaggerated. This is sort of a bigger deal because…you know…“Stun” Jacks. But you do need to max the skill to get the longer stun duration, and hell, if it convinces people to debate between taking and not taking the transmuter on a SJ build, it may even be a win to just leave it alone. SJ is a perfect example of the transmuter not really being a “choice.”

I’d rather not see complex solutions to such a problem. Keeping things as a simple numbers change without requiring the addition of boss mechanics or UI elements makes the concept far easier/quicker to implement for Crate, which in turn means less resources diverted from other things that may need working on.

1 Like

@Ceno:
What about Ring of Frost? 2,8 sec with RoS on a 3 sec CD. Perhaps combined with Korba…

Yeah I forgot about it but Ring of Frost would definitely need some looking at. Either reduce Freeze to match the base stun of the skill (1.5s) or otherwise increase the CD with the transmuter to raise the skill timing proportionately.

For Korba, I’d rather see the Freeze reduction.

Thought only about the CD. Don´t really know, which sets would give Freeze Reduction, but Spellbreaker with OFF and RoS would be…well, very good for Permafrost. :slight_smile:

I didn’t have a whole lot of time to test how “broken” this may have been, but I did play around with it and confirm it as “working” by getting a ministun on Valdaran and Cronley.

irresistible.zip (27.4 KB)

It’s a typical mod. Plop it Extract it in your mods folder.

Changes:

• resists_heroboss.dbr: Reduced CC resists granted by ranks 4 and higher of the skill. All resists of those ranks remains higher than rank 3, but also below 100%.
  • Difficulty scaling for enemies: Enemies no longer get additional CC resists based on player count or difficulty level.
  • Difficulty scaling for players and their pets: Players and their pets now have 10% Reduced Stun, Freeze, Petrify, Trap, and Sleep duration globally applied when in Elite. In Ultimate, this number increases to 30%. This is not resistance to CC; it reduces the duration of outgoing CC’s from the player toward enemies.

The TL;DR is that basically everything, including Celestials, should be able to be “CC’d” for some indeterminate amount of time, however that time unit is going to be quite short without CC-shred on Mageslayer/Rimetongue/etc.

Try it out and let me know whether you can break anything.

5 Likes

Ceno, you beautiful bastard. Thanks for taking the time to do this up

Ur a hero.

1 Like

Diminish return with subsequent CC applied within X second would be a nice design.