Why not make CC work on bosses?

Hi. I just tested and your mod doesn’t work. I open custom game irresistible and test on Warden Krige in Elite mode. Heroes can be stunned as usual but nothing happen on Warden even after I edit the defensiveStun in file resist_heroboss.dbr to all 0. Could you please spare sometime and test it with current game version. If this mod doesn’t work I will give up on the game because I can’t bear the design of a mechanic exist with no support and useless when we need it :c. The devs claim they are for CC only but what is it for if crowd in this game mean nothing but a bag of trash mod which can be cleared in half a sec with literally any skill that can deal dmg. And ironically I just found out Fumble and Impaired Aim works on bosses. Aren’t they CC skill too? So why this but not that. Or because the devs think CC with no dmg won’t break the balancing so yeah I won’t touch that. If yes then it’s lame.

Considering the mod is 6 months out of date I’m not surprised. Ceno probably needs to update it to the latest version of the game.

I just finished the game (all DLC) on Ultimate with my 2nd character. In the first character I play kiter Backwater Cocktail and feel the game is pretty easy so after Normal Veteran I switch to a melee char (Warder 2H) and indeed the game feel more difficult yet more exciting. My ideal was to play a melee with 2H mace and dual long stun skill (forcewave and primal strike). It was fun for awhile but then I realize that I cannot stun Warden Krieg so I have to resort to run and hit using forcewave. At that point I think “Fine, maybe I don’t have gear to support stun yet so I couldn’t do shit to him” (I avoid using google to keep the immersive) but then when I reach Ultimate I have to google and it disappoints me that the game doesn’t support any mean to help player to stun any (like 99%) of named bosses even for a fraction a second to help recover momentum or reposition. Then I have to change my build to face-tanking with one button smash Savagery. This really kill my experience for the game. Overall while I do enjoy the main campaign of the game with nice plot twist and intriguing lore, the game doesn’t have any replayability for me (which I think is very important in ARPG?). In my experience, despite the game have a plethora of dmg type and defense layer, the playable style pool is very bipolar : you pick a dmg type then pick gear and devotion to stack up that dmg type then you either have enough dps of that dmg type to kill enemies before they see you or have enough defence to laugh at all the stuff monsters threw at you. I do hope the devs will design a better mechanic should they plan to make GD2 but currently I have to say mechanic in this game is boring.

many bosses that are immune/highly resistant to cc are still vulnerable to ‘reduce enemy damage’ and fumble debuff. some are also vulnerable to slow. i think those soft ccs’ are enough to deal with cc resistant bosses.

personally, i found the feature that many bosses are immune/highly resistant to cc is ok in many rpg games. remember how we can’t debuff some bosses in rpgs like final fantasies? that’s just a sign that these bosses are really powerful and requires different tactics in handling them. and in most cases, the tactics are focused on amplifying players’ dps and defenses instead of debuffing the bosses, resulting in a typical battle of attrition. i’ve accepted that for a long while now. cc are for mobs and elites, not bosses. its better to just deal with it and focuses on amping up dps when dealing with these attrition battles.

1 Like

bosses can have their own cc resist on top of the blanket resist_heroboss.dbr , stacking up to a whopping 1000% (or beyond).

I understand that no game is perfect and the player should accept the ideal of “take it or leave it”. I was having a very good time with the game but when it comes to endgame I would like to see more than stacking dmg/resistance number gameplay. And doesn’t it make sense that in RPG the protagonist is gradually become the strongest one? If in the end I can face-tanked avatar of godlike being like Mogdrogen or Korvaak then why on earth I couldn’t make a ministun on MoneyBag Martin or Cronley. Some being immune is ok but almost all is another story.

2 Likes

So it is no hope then :smiley:. Thank you.

it is, just have to edit their individual DBRs…
OR there is a part in the heroboss resistances thing where you can give an increase/decrease in maximum resists, and giving a blanket -x% maximum stun/freeze/petrify resist to bosses through this should work just as well, aside from a few exceptions.

thats the penalty players get in many end game difficulties, especially if enemies’ power scales with player levels dynamically. weakest critters got boosted to max level for no reason. end game difficulties in many games are often about beating the games’ weird min-max challenges rather than enjoying the games’ immersive experiences (stories, lore, character development, world design).

maybe crate is afraid that if a single player can ministun cc resistant bosses even for 0.1 secs, then two players can stunlock those bosses forever through game exploits. a mini/microstun can totally interrupt the momentum of enemies’ attack/cast animations.

i kinda wished cc resistant bosses can have weaker phase/moments, where players can inflict cc on them to debuff them. dunno how to design around that though, because the game will become too predictable if that happens.

2 Likes

I don’t know what game you are mentioning but compare to a modern mainstream Path of Exile, hard CC like Stun and Freeze can work on very end game bosses (simply search PoE stunlock on Youtube there are tons of video about that). Even mobs that immune to stun has to suffer another downside (Unwavering Stance give stun immunity but remove dodge iirc and player also have access to it not just the mobs). In my opinion, when a mechanic exist in a game it should be supported through various means and sacrifice to make that a worthwhile achievement. Why bother implementing a mechanic while 99% of the time when the player want it to work the most it fails to deliver. But in the end of the day, I know it is decision of the devs. I gave up on the game but still open for discussion. Ty.

path of exile fried my old amd laptop. gives me bad memories so i don’t learn much about path of exile, though i know path of exile has complex game mechanics. maybe more complex than gd. i kinda refer to tq and torchlight 1-2 there. because i’ve personally experienced cc immune bosses there. there might be other games with finer example of how they deal with cc resistant bosses.

there are 2 cc that is so overpowered that perhaps support the existence of cc resistant bosses. mind control and confuse. they are overpowered against mobs. but there are almost no builds about characters that focused solely on mind control and confuse abilities. those kind of characters are forced to acknowledge that their most powerful abilities are just for clearing mobs in a stylish yet not very time efficient way. they still have to amp up their damage for dealing with cc resistant bosses.

is there any examples in other rpg games where bosses can be mind controlled/confused without breaking the balance of the game? next to them, stunlock is the most overpowered cc ever exist. maybe there are some games that implement temporary stun resistance on stunnable bosses for a while after they’re stunned… ah… darkest dungeon comes to mind. enemies there gain stun resist for several turns after they’re stunned. perhaps crate can implement this mechanic in future gd updates. or in gd 2. i’d love to see celestial beings stunnable for a second or something, then they become stun resistant for several seconds.

oh yeah, something should be mentioned about builds that focused heavily on cc. they are REALLY good for farming MIs from mobs (especially olexra’s flash freeze and blade trap). so they still have a place in the game. even though they’re not very effective against elite and bosses.

Yes. I also hope Crate will make a different approach to CC if they ever decide to make GD2. But the game is at the very end phase so in the way I see it will never change for GD1. I’m posting here not because I’m angry at the devs but because I really enjoy the main campaign of the game so I would love to see the game become better than it is now.

1 Like

NPCs are not affected by max res modifications AFAIK, as all of their stats are uncapped.

I set the defensiveStunMaxResist to 90.0 and now it does work on named boss like Martin but still not on Warden. Could you please give me instruction to edit those NPC resist?