Why not make CC work on bosses?

l2attach :slight_smile:

Really liked how I can freeze healers in SR with my Infiltrator. Hey guys, how do you like the cold weather? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s a great thing to bring up. I remember how excellently this worked, at least in the WotLK expansion.
Interrupting bosses, or rather a select skill of theirs, was very important (in GD this would be a subsecond CC). It required quick reflexes among a slew of other things happening at the same time, and appropriate positioning. You also needed good coordination and skill management, so no interrupts would be wasted on the same spell and you’d always have it when you needed it. It certainly felt more satisfying than “LoS-ing” the boss by hiding behind a wall (or a random object like when dodging Grava’s balls).

Stuns and the like were useful as well, in encounters where there were smaller enemies with the boss. CCing them at the right time was sometimes crucial. And making sure people used their longer CCs first to avoid diminishing returns (something that would lend itself well to GD, too) as much as possible, required planning and again coordination. I guess in GD it’s possible to indirectly make CCs against bosses more effective by transferring a powerful debuff to their summons instead, and possibly increasing spawn rate? Currently I would love to CC Moosi and Kaisan crystals. This could also help with making “on death” effects more reliable in endgame.

I would like to see being able to take 1 point in Canister Bomb as a Devotion proccer, and then also take the Transmuter for the stun, making it a pure utility skill.

This is a good thing.

• It requires someone to invest time to memorize an enemy’s rotation.
  • Once they have, it requires them to interact with that enemy with a particular component (not the item kind) of their build.
  • Human error enables the mechanic to still be dangerous even for those “in the know.”

What’s the alternative that we’re presently faced with? You memorize the rotation, and when the “dangerous attack” comes up you retreat and run around like a headless chicken for a lengthy period of time, not really “playing” the game or your character at all. WHAT GLORIOUS DESIGN.

Enemies are on a rotation in WoW/GW2 as well. And that’s why people use DBM. Hell, most guilds these days require DBM of their raid teams because people are generally too dumb to actually commit such rotations to memory themselves and thus need it to be spoon-fed to them. I guess if we ever got interruptible rotations in GD, Grim Internals might set out to satisfy that “need”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Relinfearous gives a more in-depth analysis.

While the number here can be counted on only two hands, I do know several people who have refunded GD because of this very issue. They disliked that there was no skill ceiling for them and that everything was statwall or die. Meaningful enemy attacks come out too fast to dodge and cannot be preemptively stopped with a microsecond CC. Anytime a friend asks me whether they can play a “dexterous rogue” in GD, I tell them not really, because even Nightblades will need to facetank 98% of the game content. If that sounds good to you, so be it. But it’s very much unappealing to a non-negligible number of people.

2 Likes

You know, there are a few Bosses in WoW, where you do exactly this? :blush:
Nobody which is not a tank stands in Leotheras Whirlwind e. g… :wink:

Bringing up WoW bosses in a discussion about CC immunity just seem ironic.

2 Likes

Yeah, kind of.

Because they are exactly designed for a special use of some CC. I remember that sometimes we couldn’t start the raid because some needed CC was missing.

Genetic Fallacy.

A boss being vulnerable to one particular type of CC works in an MMO because there are multiple people involved in controlling that boss.

In GD, it’d be more optimal if a boss was vulnerable to multiple kinds of CC because there would be only one person (primarily) involved in the encounter.

Wut, dude. What boss in the history of WoW ever has been susceptible to CC.

Their adds, yes, but literally never a boss.

Nemeses in this game were clearly not made to be CC’ed because they actually want you to avoid attacks from them. Like Aleks meteor and Grava’s null. The only exception is Rimetongue and it’s literally for like half a second and it’s just trapping.

But at this point i want CC to work on Nemeses and other high end bosses so that i can freeze lock with Mageslayer or perma-trap with Rimetongue and reach like shard 150 without being touched once. Before they get nerfed to the ground of course.

Off the top of my head, Za’qul can be interrupted, but only via DPS.

Add interrupts are decently more meaningful, though, given that there are things worth interrupting on those adds and they tend to be significantly tankier than even heroes are in GD.

Again, you’re literally the only person in the thread asking for this (and you’re not really asking for it). No one thinks this is a good idea.

Wut? Are we calling interrupts CC now?

I played WoW, not extensively, for a year, back in the day. When i was done exploring the world the game has ended for me. The mechanics didn’t seem deep enough and the gameplay - engaging. 10 years later my bar has raised immensly yet i still find GD gameplay to be more enjoyable than WoW was for me back then. But it doesn’t mean you can’t look for things that worked in other games to improve your own - or possibly to consider using them in the next project.

I think CC is discussed so much because it’s a completely different layer of gameplay. And people always want more. Right now basically every skill and ability in the game (when talking about endgame) comes down to 1) offensive/defensive stats/buffs 2) different forms of dmg 3) pets

CC, or let’s be more clear and “reduce” those letters to just “control”, can’t be attributed to 1), 2) or 3). It’s a 4) and that is why the thought of having it as a viable asset to the game is exciting. Imagine what else could be out there, the abilities that actually differ from what GD has currently: create physical barrier or forcefield, make your clones, steal the enemy ability, leech the enemy stat, shapeshifting, etc. etc.
Just to draw a perspective, nothing else. GD is a magnificent game but it (or possible GD2, or whatever else you are planning) can be better.

Given that interrupts are what I was asking for ~40 posts ago, yes.

Then you’re in the wrong thread, bro.

I guess we both are.

Me saying CCs have their use equates somehow to players having a skill interrupt, a mechanic built around having cast bars on enemies. #sense