Winter King should be the glass-cannon version of Obsidian Tremors (more damage, plz)

Mythical Crown of the Winter King & Mythical Obsidian Tremors are inevitably going to be compared with each other since they serve the same function: a 3-projectile cone that shotguns fat targets. Since Obsidian Tremors deals Chaos damage, you have the option of either going Hungering Void full glass cannon or go full tankiness with Commando like in this build thread: [1.1.8.1] 1,900 Base Regen Obsidian Juggernaut Commando [SR 85, Avatar, Crucible Video]

Winter King doesn’t have such luxury. Unlike Obsidian Tremors, the helmet is not confined to a bunch of classes since the skill bonuses only benefit Veil of Shadow, so there’s a lot more room for creativity. I’m personally working on an Aether version of Winter King, and it’s one of those builds that’s okay in practice, but requires a heavily skilled player to be able to pass Crucible and SR 75-76 without dying. I can beat SR, but with deaths, and forget trying to take on the Crucible.

When you have a triple-rare fantasy weapon and still struggle with beating resistant enemies, it’s time to look at the skill and see if it could use a little help. Considering how much you can stack Chaos damage to make Tremors a decent skill, it would be nice if Winter King got a little boost. As of now, it does less damage than Tremors with less opportunity to stack fat damage. Couple this with a Attak Seru buff and this could end up being something great.

(It doesn’t help that I own the world record for most double-Reaper sightings at Wave 160, but that’s a story for another time)

1 Like

Crown of Winter’s King is there for a hybrid build with pets, just like the sword (and they’re meant to be used together). It provides you with a ranged skill to not be useless beside your pets.
If you want a spammable projectile shotgun skill, there are Phantasmal Blades for that. Particulary so for Aether damage.

maybe in theory, in practice players have theorycrafted and played various Winter King’s Might player damage focused builds

1 Like

Winter King’s sword is pretty good for cold Bone Harvest. Depending on your build, maybe even comparable to Soulrend.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.