Work Camp Tree Choices

I’ve gotten into the habit of using a workcamp to plant trees in the event I feel I’ll need to harvest a large sum of lumber down the road but one thing I noticed is unless I’m missing something, we are unable to select what trees the workcamp will plant unlike selecting them in the building browser. So I find myself planting solid paths of Birch and oak forests respectively.
Having an option to select what type of tree to plant could add a great deal of appeal while conserving lumber.

1 Like

Is this about getting your forests to look a certain way?

Looking a the forum, there are people struggling to understand how farming different crops impacts the fertility of the soil. In the upcoming release things are going to get considerably more complicated with more types of farm animals, more types of soldiers and raiders.

For myself, I’m happy I dont have to concern myself with micro-managing the work camp workers. Just telling them to log or plant is enough detail for me.

1 Like

Yes. That’s it. I notice that the work camp workers will grow only one type of tree when planting and harvesting lumber on the tier 2 work camp.
It’s not so much that I’m trying to get my forest to only plant a certain tree, but rather I want it to look like a blended forest with the different tree types.

I get what you mean, I have a road leading from my city to another part of the work area, and between that I have created these beautiful forests, but. Unfortunately the trees don’t look the same since 1 is Maple and the other is Birch, it would indeed be nice if you could choose yourself what seed they will use. And maybe make it so you can like drag a field so that on that spot it will plant maple and on the other area it will plant a different seed if you want. I like my roads being in between Maple trees but as seen in this picture I couldn’t do that as of now.

3 Likes

Definitely something that I wish for as well. Would be nice if planters would select the appropriate tree for the type of soil, based on water, fertility and rockiness.

Not unlike real life where I would plant some type of trees in damp soil, even clay and some others in sandy soil, burnt ground.

In the meantime I have been manually planting different trees in the work camp radius. A bit randomly a bit as if I were a tree planter concerned about survivability rates. Feels like I’m doing a Bob Ross painting, adding trees and little friends as I please.

1 Like

I don’t know if you knew. In my experience, fertility and landscape have a lot to do which tree is getting planted. It’s like with other ressources: you cannot simply “wish” that there were Berries at a certain spot. Wouldn’t that be a little easy? Trees with the highest yield (12-14 wood when mature, Achorn, maple) would be preferable. Birch for example has a much lower yield but will take the same effort to harvest.
High yield trees are growing on 70%+ fertility (my experience) and seem to grow on slightly elevated or mountainous terrain.
It’s difficult to guess, what kind of tree migt grow in a certain area but the existing variety when the game starts will be replanted.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.