Xbox one release

I had no idea the Xbox certification process was so stringent. Makes you wonder how all those glitchy, bug-ridden, unplayable messes get through…

I hadn’t heard of Grim Dawn until recently. I was looking for a good Diablo style game, and GD kept getting mentioned as one of the best. I really hope this gets put on Game Pass once it finally releases.

See how that squeaky wheel just got greased? You think it’s laughable to mention POE2 is around the corner and Diablo4 after that? As someone who has played POE since its release on Xbox, (Harbinger League), how long do you think POE2 will likely keep my interest? Not exactly far fetched to imagine until Diablo4, right? This is a perfect window for many of us to try Grim Dawn and now we heard from the horses mouth directly. Is any of that laughable? I think not.

1 Like

There would be a sales benefit to releasing before PoE2 and D4 but the xbox version isn’t polished yet. However GD is a commercial success that generates its own steady growth, and will continue to do so. The xbox release is no exception; it doesn’t need to release at a particular time to break even or go on to sell well.

Furthermore I don’t think it is worth disrupting the company agenda; there will be more windows in the future (e.g unappealing leagues, Blizzard hiccups etc.), and Crate are no longer solely invested in the arpg arena.

If your not a fan of long posts you may want to skip mine. Sorry for the long read for those who decide to read it.

Ok hopefully I post this right since its the first time posting sorry in advance if its not. I did try and follow the quote instructions, we will see how that turns out. So here is my question and why I thought of posting. I will guess any answers will be speculation unless someone has inside knowledge and my question requires a bit of a story so here goes:

How will Grim Dawn function on various Xbox versions? Single/multiplayer. Will the game know what console it is on and adjust itself accordingly.

The Xbox has Several iterations at this point and a few months from now one more with the Series X. I own a day one edition from 2013 and an Xbox One X.

The X died and I am finding many games run very rough, have multiple minute load times, terrible looking graphics, even more so when blown up on my main 85” or flat out crash on the original 2013 hardware.

Several friends and my family have the Xbox S which I find only exhibits long load times but other than that it’s pretty decent. I will definitely replace the 2013 when the new console is released, not much point right now with only months to release.

Grim Dawn seems to me to be either not optimized well or something is wonky with the engine or physics or multiplayer. Myself my brother and several friends encounter similar issues. I almost exclusively play multiplayer so cant speak much on single player experience other than the one friend mentioning the game handles better for him when not in multiplayer. I have a feeling that may be key.

Don’t even get me started on having to setup a vpn between multiple houses using the GOG version because one person was too cheap to get it on steam…what a nightmare.

Myself and my brother, who lives in another house both have fairly high end hardware that handles Oculus VR content In multiplayer with no real issues as well as other high end games. We live in Canada and have good Fibre optic internet.

Sooo yeah, any thoughts on how a game like Grim Dawn will function on different Xbox versions?
Specially if the Day One 2013 Edition (that may as well be on life support at this point) Will even have the ability to play the game properly.

With all that said I find Grim Dawn to be one of the best Arpgs that I have played since Marvel Heroes closed shop. Diablo 1/2 and of course Titan Quest are top tier in this category aswell.

If I posted in the wrong section I am sorry and I apologize for the long post. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and I hope you have a nice day.

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m afraid only the devs can answer your questions; we don’t have any info atm about how the Xbox version will work.

Well I will be buying every iteration of GD available just to show my support…

I do keep asking 1 question and haven’t seen a replay, @zantai maybe someone will let me know LOL

Will the xbox version have couch coop? Would love crossplay, but mainly just want to be able to play with my son or wife on the same tv!!!

And take as long as you need, but if it’s gonna be much longer you might just rename it an Xbox Series X generation game =)

1 Like

Why is it because of the xbox version we are getting these graphical upgrades and optimizations? Couldn’t they just help us all out and do that anyway?

Sure, but the game was performing well enough on PC without these optimizations. So, porting it to the Xbox provided Crate with the incentive to spend resources on them. BTW - these optimizations have been in the game for a while.

Just posted on the GD FB page.

" A quick update on the Xbox port, since so many are asking about it:

Yes, it is still coming and nearing completion.

We’re in the semi-final phase of going through certification testing with an outside company. This process involves them testing and submitting bugs or non-compliance issues, then us fixing them and putting out new builds for testing.

Once this is complete, we will submit GD for certification with Microsoft.

After that, it is just a matter of Microsoft finding a release slot for GD in their lineup. Once that occurs, we’ll have a firm release date we can share for you.

It will likely be at least a few more months but hopefully before the end of the year.

It has been a somewhat slow process because we are, after all, a fairly small team and there is only 1 programmer doing the port. For those worried about PC updates slowing the port, that shouldn’t be a concern as they’re independent pipelines with different people working on them."

3 Likes

No word about Grim Dawn from MS so far. So it won’t be a launch game for the Series S and X. New chances for next year I guess despite the message from january 13 what says that they approach the finish line and the XBox port will be in our hands.

At least some gameplay would help to be patient but that is impossible it seems.

i do not remember when but i bought xbox when i read they release for xbox over 2 years ago. now still waiting. answer is the same, we sent Microsoft, we are small team, in testing stage bla bla bla. i lost my interest to game after 2 years.

It is a work in progress; Crate have informed us that the release is around the end of the year.

The release date partly depends on Microsoft, too:

Must have missed that about the release at the end of the year. I only know they told us on FB that they hope for a release this year and that single word hope makes a big difference. The game is also not on the list with games which will be released in the launch window of the new XBox. So I would be surprised when the game should come out in 2020. I hope they will manage to release this game next year if it is not released this year.

I just wish they would tell us if it has couch coop!!!

Whatever happens, please do all in your power to make it 60fps. Don’t make the mistake TLIII did and release it at 30fps, that’s a crime against the ARPG genre.

That game is a crime in general if i’m perfectly honest, but that’s another topic.

wait Grim Dawn’s getting an xbox port? nice!

Yes. Been in the works for a while now so hopefully not too much longer before it’ll be released.

Crate may as well go for the record on longest announcement to actual port in game development history. Why not?

2 Likes

Latest news from their FB page

“its in certification testing. How long until release is dependent on how many more rounds of testing are needed to pass (hopefully we’re on the last one but who can say) and how long it takes MS to assign us a release date.”